My Rashada and Gator info

Advertisement
The Gators are mad. Bama is mad - because their bag game for decades and decades is now a bit archaic and lost its shine.

Miami when they have a good coaching staff scares the doo-doo out of everyone who recalls the good UM coaches.

They also know UM never had a bag game. That was a SEC and Major Teams gig, but now USC (private) and UM (private) not only have good coaches - but they're demonstrating "in you face" that they now can provide players certain "financial rewards" just like the Big Boys.

The overstatement of the NIL is an attempt - not to hurt UM so much - it really can't - but to cause tension and resentment in the locker room. The financial numbers between the "have's" and "have-nots" get too big - I can see that being a bit of a problem, causing annual 'realignments.'

The point is at this early stage in the new allowances - "go ahead - put your money out there - we CAN and WILL beat you." It gets to the point "if Xxxxxxx is a UM priority - lets' move on - UM has all the advantages."

It's a form of psychological dislocation for opposing teams. UM and the state of Florida have a scary wealth of players, and if one can just see the current trajectory of UM - and USC - both have ideal locations, weather, other draws - compared to college town that had to pay out the hoo-hoo to get players to come - and win games.

UM and USC can now pay. Threatening to leave them in the dust - kicking cow turds, frog gigging, cow tipping, and tire tubing down at the mudhole.

Saban reminds me of Jimmy Johnson once free agency took precedence over the draft in the NFL. Jimmy was great before that and then they changed the rules and it was a different way to build a team. People still use Jimmy's point system for determining draft values, that is how much of a science he made the draft, but free agency was the wild west only they were overpaying for everyone so nothing made sense, in fact the draft should have then taken more precedence but it did not for many, except maybe Belichek.

Saban can't compete the same way if he is not able to have that overwhelming advantage. Although he did out compete the other cheaters in the SEC and he was the king of the payers, now with all rules basically torn up he is now back to being the guy that coached that great Bama team but do I really want to live in Tuscaloosa if I can live in LA or Miami? I don't know many kids that if they had that kind of money in their pockets would want to hang out in Tuscaloosa AL.

Make me the mod/Maude of NIL. Every time our worry warriors ask or comment the same thing over and over every time the subject comes up, I’ll come in and cut & paste “Objection. Asked and Answered” in honor of @AtlAtty and all others who have answered these questions repeatedly.

Posters can appeal to the tribunal of @AtlAtty @TheOriginalCane and @SWFLHurricane who will wear judicial robes and white wigs to decide the outcome.
Uh oh

Judge.gif
Judge2.jpg
Judge 3.gif

Saban reminds me of Jimmy Johnson once free agency took precedence over the draft in the NFL. Jimmy was great before that and then they changed the rules and it was a different way to build a team. People still use Jimmy's point system for determining draft values, that is how much of a science he made the draft, but free agency was the wild west only they were overpaying for everyone so nothing made sense, in fact the draft should have then taken more precedence but it did not for many, except maybe Belichek.

Saban can't compete the same way if he is not able to have that overwhelming advantage. Although he did out compete the other cheaters in the SEC and he was the king of the payers, now with all rules basically torn up he is now back to being the guy that coached that great Bama team but do I really want to live in Tuscaloosa if I can live in LA or Miami? I don't know many kids that if they had that kind of money in their pockets would want to hang out in Tuscaloosa AL.
Ehhhh, lets actually see him fail first. Last year was made to be a big deal and he finished second...

The way this lawyer Caspino is running his mouth is bad for himself and his clients. He's detailing pay for play by saying, "If the Florida Collective wasn't such a mess, Jaden would have went there." Then going on about the Florida Collective is amateur hour and goes on to say he won't send any of his clients to Florida.

Wait!!! Hold on!!! Doesn't Caspino represent his clients to prospective businesses for Name, Image, and Likeness advertising deals? Basically, in his own words, he is shopping his clients to schools for payment. This is the classic definition of pay-for-play. He's just a high priced AAU coach with a law degree shopping players to schools for money.

This guy is going to find himself in front of the NCAA and perhaps Congress. He could make his clients ineligible to play in college sports.

Hopefully Ruiz, at his word, didn't deal with this guy for Rashada. If he did, I hope the paper trail is by the book.

Advertisement
The way this lawyer Caspino is running his mouth is bad for himself and his clients. He's detailing pay for play by saying, "If the Florida Collective wasn't such a mess, Jaden would have went there." Then going on about the Florida Collective is amateur hour and goes on to say he won't send any of his clients to Florida.

Wait!!! Hold on!!! Doesn't Caspino represent his clients to prospective businesses for Name, Image, and Likeness advertising deals? Basically, in his own words, he is shopping his clients to schools for payment. This is the classic definition of pay-for-play. He's just a high priced AAU coach with a law degree shopping players to schools for money.

This guy is going to find himself in front of the NCAA and perhaps Congress. He could make his clients ineligible to play in college sports.

Hopefully Ruiz, at his word, didn't deal with this guy for Rashada. If he did, I hope the paper trail is by the book.
This logic makes sense primarily on account of the quasi status of what a collective is. Is it merely a convenient mechanism for boosters to channel funds to a recruit? That can be determined by the source of the funds. Does it come from the personal funds of a wealthy alumni or 100$ dollar a month giving campaign (e.g., Gator Guard or Flacid Spear)? Or does it come from profits generated from internal operations of a business concern?

If it's the latter, then nothing to see here. There's also nothing wrong with a lawyer representing a client concerning a million dollar contract. I would also think one of his services would be to protect and insulate his client from any false or negative narratives put out in the media. From a distance it seems like most of his missives are defensive in reaction to what's already out there. The only question is how experienced and skilled he is in shaping the narrative.

??? Fraud?? Tax Evasion??? To date there reportedly isn't even a fully executed (signed) agreement. By all reports the Gator number that had been offered was $1.5 million for 4 years or $6 million total, and the UM NIL group had a lower number. Now that there is actually a commitment from Rashada the group offering the NIL can speak directly with Rashada and they can execute a contract including payment terms ... most likely over 4 years. Rashada receives money, files his tax return like anyone else. Only issues in this entire drama is date of contact by interested parties, and the fact that in California contact dates and procedures are dramatically different than Florida ... an issue that needs to be rectified so the landscape is less complicated and easier to navigate.
Guessing JR gets around $1M per. Which is also about the same $ TVD is getting. He won’t be in the top 5 NIL deals for his class IMO. Non-story.

This logic makes sense primarily on account of the quasi status of what a collective is. Is it merely a convenient mechanism for boosters to channel funds to a recruit? That can be determined by the source of the funds. Does it come from the personal funds of a wealthy alumni or 100$ dollar a month giving campaign (e.g., Gator Guard or Flacid Spear)? Or does it come from profits generated from internal operations of a business concern?

If it's the latter, then nothing to see here. There's also nothing wrong with a lawyer representing a client concerning a million dollar contract. I would also think one of his services would be to protect and insulate his client from any false or negative narratives put out in the media. From a distance it seems like most of his missives are defensive in reaction to what's already out there. The only question is how experienced and skilled he is in shaping the narrative.
Yes, his replies are defensive, but he's like a criminal on trial for murder and is filling in the blanks of the crime.

Forget the collectives. I expect the NCAA to address that. It's the methods being used. This lawyer has clearly established himself as a go to lawyer to shop kids for the best deal in return for signing with a particular school. This is not how NIL is supposed to work although many are doing it and pay-for-play is being normalized.

Supposedly, the lawyer is the same guy that got Iamaleava the $8M at Tennessee. So, in my opinion (and many others) he's representing himself as the guy that can get you paid if your a top QB. All it takes is for him to be questioned under oath. He'll have to answer for why he said he would not present his clients to certain schools. All of his words, phone calls, and texts will have to line up properly under subpoena. Remember, schools are not involved in NIL. Everyone is talking like they are including the lawyers. That may be the game, but its clear cut illegal. To have the lawyer talking about it is reprehensible.

They gray area should be easy to get around. Player visits school. Lawyer/agents contacts known school supportive businesses/collectives or visa versa. All he has to say is, "I represent so and so in NIL endorsements. How marketable is my client in your area/school?" Response: Oh, he's very marketable. We think he's worth X amount of money." That's it. It's the wink-wink handshake. When the lawyer publicly goes into all the personal decision details, he exposes himself and his client unnecessarily.

Advertisement

He ran his big mouth to promote himself and thus acquire more clients!

The day attorneys were suddenly allowed to advertise - well - I just remember the days when that was 'prohibited.'

Now? Prescription drugs! **** Doctors! Personal Injury Attorneys! Divorce Attorneys! Proctologists! . . . maybe not proctologists . . . but you get the drift.

NIL attorneys? Looks like some will be settling into that gig as well.

Last edited:
Jez, where to begin?
Yes, his replies are defensive, but he's like a criminal on trial for murder and is filling in the blanks of the crime.

That's just your perception.

If I was the father of a high ranked recruit that had a multi-million dollar NIL deal in front of me, you'd better believe I'd expect the lawyer representing my son (or daughter if she's a basketball player) to get out in front of those pesky NCAA types if some third-party malcontent started a smear campaign of unsubstantiated allegations that could potentially affect their eligibility. How effective he is (which I alluded to as to his experience and skill in handling media) is a different issue.

Forget the collectives. I expect the NCAA to address that. It's the methods being used. This lawyer has clearly established himself as a go to lawyer to shop kids for the best deal in return for signing with a particular school. This is not how NIL is supposed to work although many are doing it and pay-for-play is being normalized.

Collectives are entirely the point. The issue is dealing with NIL in real time until the NCAA gets their act together. With most schools, that means dealing with collectives. But if prior history is any indication, expect the NCAA to try to slant things in favor of the blue bloods. Given the court rulings and the state laws, they haven't figured that out yet. That's probably why they had the "inquiry" with Ruiz to discern his methods and procedures. You can call his lawyer a low life, ambulance chaser, or whatever, but he sees NIL as the opening of a new legal market and he's positioning himself to operate in it. It typically called free market enterprise. I'm trying to look at the current landscape and how it effects UM's recruiting without making value judgements as to its morality. We all know recruiting has always been dirty as ****.

Supposedly, the lawyer is the same guy that got Iamaleava the $8M at Tennessee. So, in my opinion (and many others) he's representing himself as the guy that can get you paid if your a top QB.

So, what. It's free market enterprise. See above.

All it takes is for him to be questioned under oath. He'll have to answer for why he said he would not present his clients to certain schools. All of his words, phone calls, and texts will have to line up properly under subpoena. Remember, schools are not involved in NIL.
You're right, schools are not to be involved (or at least supposed to be) and he's not presenting his clients to schools. He's presenting his clients to collectives. If a collective is disorganized, unprofessional, did anything that raised integrity issues, he would be obligated to his client to avoid them or at the very least advise his client they're not to be trusted. That's why people hire a lawyer in the first place.

Add if the collective included any provisions limiting his client to attending a specific school, that would be evidence that the collective is engaging in illegal NIL activities.

Everyone is talking like they are including the lawyers.

For any company I worked for any written agreement regardless of value had to be reviewed by lawyers or the legal department before they are signed. Even mundane things like standard purchase order forms or sales contracts before they are used. The devil is in the details typically included in the terms and conditions. Why shouldn't a teenager want to include a lawyer before signing a million-dollar deal.

That may be the game, but its clear cut illegal. To have the lawyer talking about it is reprehensible.

The lawyer did not disclose anything about the negotiations except the numbers floated were false, and the negotiations were messy on account of the lack of professionalism of a collective. We added the "english" that they were illiterate hicks ... well because they were gators.

Further, were you in the discussions between the lawyer and Rashad's family to pass judgement? Once the reaction hit the ON3 web site, how do you know the family didn't ask the lawyer to provide cover? This NIL business is new and evolving. Do you think the Rashada family should have had to foresight to also engage a media relations team to counter the inevitable jilted suitors?

They gray area should be easy to get around. Player visits school. Lawyer/agents contacts known school supportive businesses/collectives or visa versa. All he has to say is, "I represent so and so in NIL endorsements. How marketable is my client in your area/school?" Response: Oh, he's very marketable. We think he's worth X amount of money." That's it. It's the wink-wink handshake.

How do you know that isn't what happened? Other than reporting the normal recruiting noise, e.g., when will he visit, how does Emory stack up, etc. things were pretty quiet. Then the gator collective got involved. Then things went public pretty quickly ... mostly from their end. They're struggling and trying to prevent the natives from circling the wagons so they attempted a splash offer. Then they get jilted by a lessor offer from of all people, the hated Hurricanes. Imagine the reaction.

When the lawyer publicly goes into all the personal decision details, he exposes himself and his client unnecessarily.
All he intended to do was offer a counter narrative that both provided cover for the Rashada's and defends his own action. Whether he was effective has yet to be determined. We'll have to see this play out.

None of this is meant to say public communications can't get tricky or messy and shouldn't be done carefully. If I were representing them, I would rather not have to deal with it. It's easy to trigger unintended consequences. But neither of us are close enough to it categorize it a reprehensible and unnecessary.

These articles are deliberate and meant for two things. 1) clickbait and 2) to intimidate and scare off UM (not happening), Jaden Rashada and more importantly future recruits.
Funny enough it does the opposite. As I stated in another thread, let them believe it is true. All it does is reinforce the message Mario is sending to other teams and to the recruits. We are no longer sitting at the kiddy table for dinner, we now are at the adult table and this let's them know it. It also lets the recruits know that Miami is for real and what we are telling these recruits is true.

The only thing left to cement this perception into reality is success on the field. Do this, a floor of 9 wins minimum I believe, and perception becomes reality with the recruits.

These articles are deliberate and meant for two things. 1) clickbait and 2) to intimidate and scare off UM (not happening), Jaden Rashada and more importantly future recruits.
Facts!!!
If you can’t prove we’re doing anything illegal then make it look like we’re doing something illegal.
That’s the script!!

Advertisement
If
Jez, where to begin?

That's just your perception.

If I was the father of a high ranked recruit that had a multi-million dollar NIL deal in front of me, you'd better believe I'd expect the lawyer representing my son (or daughter if she's a basketball player) to get out in front of those pesky NCAA types if some third-party malcontent started a smear campaign of unsubstantiated allegations that could potentially affect their eligibility. How effective he is (which I alluded to as to his experience and skill in handling media) is a different issue.

Collectives are entirely the point. The issue is dealing with NIL in real time until the NCAA gets their act together. With most schools, that means dealing with collectives. But if prior history is any indication, expect the NCAA to try to slant things in favor of the blue bloods. Given the court rulings and the state laws, they haven't figured that out yet. That's probably why they had the "inquiry" with Ruiz to discern his methods and procedures. You can call his lawyer a low life, ambulance chaser, or whatever, but he sees NIL as the opening of a new legal market and he's positioning himself to operate in it. It typically called free market enterprise. I'm trying to look at the current landscape and how it effects UM's recruiting without making value judgements as to its morality. We all know recruiting has always been dirty as ****.

So, what. It's free market enterprise. See above.

You're right, schools are not to be involved (or at least supposed to be) and he's not presenting his clients to schools. He's presenting his clients to collectives. If a collective is disorganized, unprofessional, did anything that raised integrity issues, he would be obligated to his client to avoid them or at the very least advise his client they're not to be trusted. That's why people hire a lawyer in the first place.

Add if the collective included any provisions limiting his client to attending a specific school, that would be evidence that the collective is engaging in illegal NIL activities.

For any company I worked for any written agreement regardless of value had to be reviewed by lawyers or the legal department before they are signed. Even mundane things like standard purchase order forms or sales contracts before they are used. The devil is in the details typically included in the terms and conditions. Why shouldn't a teenager want to include a lawyer before signing a million-dollar deal.

The lawyer did not disclose anything about the negotiations except the numbers floated were false, and the negotiations were messy on account of the lack of professionalism of a collective. We added the "english" that they were illiterate hicks ... well because they were gators.

Further, were you in the discussions between the lawyer and Rashad's family to pass judgement? Once the reaction hit the ON3 web site, how do you know the family didn't ask the lawyer to provide cover? This NIL business is new and evolving. Do you think the Rashada family should have had to foresight to also engage a media relations team to counter the inevitable jilted suitors?

How do you know that isn't what happened? Other than reporting the normal recruiting noise, e.g., when will he visit, how does Emory stack up, etc. things were pretty quiet. Then the gator collective got involved. Then things went public pretty quickly ... mostly from their end. They're struggling and trying to prevent the natives from circling the wagons so they attempted a splash offer. Then they get jilted by a lessor offer from of all people, the hated Hurricanes. Imagine the reaction.

All he intended to do was offer a counter narrative that both provided cover for the Rashada's and defends his own action. Whether he was effective has yet to be determined. We'll have to see this play out.

None of this is meant to say public communications can't get tricky or messy and shouldn't be done carefully. If I were representing them, I would rather not have to deal with it. It's easy to trigger unintended consequences. But neither of us are close enough to it categorize it a reprehensible and unnecessary.
No lawyer needs to be talking about his clients business in public. Where does attorney client privilege come in? The lawyer saying Rashada would have gone to UF if their collective wasn't phuked.

The whole thing is tricky for sure. Players paid for NIL and their NIL is calculated to be more valuable the more successful they are. Guess that's the "formula". Guy who has great stats, wins his conference, is invited to NY for the ceremony, has a significantly higher social media value.

This is why it would be difficult to outlaw performance incentives in an nil deal. The better you play, the more famous you generally get.

A Heisman winner is worth a lot more to companies than a journeyman benchwarmer from a marketing perspective. It doesn’t make sense to say that type of language in a contract would be impermissible.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back