My Post Game Recap - Va Tech

Advertisement
One more thing - although the game was a nail biter, the score wasn’t as close as it indicated. Between two failed 2 points attempts (let’s say we just kicked the Extra point on each of those), and that fake field goal play, that’s an extra 5 points.

Dee Wiggins also dropped a slant that would’ve been a TD catch.

im not downplaying VT or the challenge they presented, but I’m just saying the score isn’t always indicative of how the game went. A few things go differently and this is at least a touchdown win for us.

With you 98%.

The 2% is that Wiggins dropped an in-stride TD DIME from King. Not acceptable and highly damaging. Whatever his other stats, that's still way too costly a drop.
Curious, are you talking about the go route up the sidelines or the slant? If the go route that was not a drop. Defender got his hand in at last second and knocked it away. He should have slowed down though and let the defender run into him.

Advertisement
It was 2.5 officially, but he basically had 3, they just split one of his sacks with Brooks.

It's weird though because Idk how ESPN tallies up TFL's & sacks, because I personally counted 14 TFL's during the game but officially they only had us at 11.

They must have some HBO Boxing judges doing the Defensive stats lol.
Lmao maaaan I know for a fact it was more than 11. Had to be. But regardless, Phillips has to finish the yr like this. It's not even all about the number of sacks, he really did play smart this game.

Advertisement
It was 2.5 officially, but he basically had 3, they just split one of his sacks with Brooks.

It's weird though because Idk how ESPN tallies up TFL's & sacks, because I personally counted 14 TFL's during the game but officially they only had us at 11.

They must have some HBO Boxing judges doing the Defensive stats lol.
@k9cane - what do you have to say?!

Curious, are you talking about the go route up the sidelines or the slant? If the go route that was not a drop. Defender got his hand in at last second and knocked it away. He should have slowed down though and let the defender run into him.
I think he's referring to the Skiny post in the End zone, that wasn't a drop, the DB got a good PBU on him, but Wigs could've elevated & snatched the ball before the Corner got enough traction to get his hand through.

The bad drop he had in the 1st quarter (might've been the 2nd iirc) was on another post route that him dead in his hands in stride but he just dropped it.

He had a bad missed tackle in the open field vs Jalen Holston on 3rd down in the 4th quarter iirc.

Good for him not getting thrown out though lol but he's just not played well enough, but I love him, his family & my Dad's side of the family in Riveria Beach are very close. He's really a good dude off the field, he just struggled playing Safety here.

Although, I will say the staff has been using him more at Backer on 3rd downs & sending him on Blitzes, which is actually what he's best at. He should've been converted to LB last year.

I’d love to see home come back and play LB all year. We just don’t have much experience behind Hall/Bolden so I don’t think we can move him this year.

Advertisement
It's true, Diaz called the Defense this game, he didn't allow Baker to make any play calls, he just contributed on personnel substitutions & play charting.

This was Diaz's game on Defense though.

There were guys, I guess either graduate assistants or some assistant coaches that I didn’t recognize, running up to Diaz during the game with laptops and iPads open, and showing him diagrams/field-shots. I had not noticed it too much prior to this game. Maybe it happens a lot, but I noticed at this game. This makes me think that possibly, yes, he’s doing all the defensive playcalling now, or at least most of it.

Advertisement
There were guys, I guess either graduate assistants or some assistant coaches that I didn’t recognize, running up to Diaz during the game with laptops and iPads open, and showing them showing him stuff. I had noticed it too much prior to this game. Maybe it happens a lot, but I noticed at this game. This makes me think that possibly, yes, he’s doing all the defensive playcalling now, or at least most of it.
Coach Cooney was one of the main ones helping Diaz out today with charting & personnel.

I think he's referring to the Skiny post in the End zone, that wasn't a drop, the DB got a good PBU on him, but Wigs could've elevated & snatched the ball before the Corner got enough traction to get his hand through.

The bad drop he had in the 1st quarter (might've been the 2nd iirc) was on another post route that him dead in his hands in stride but he just dropped it.
It's the latter. He had inside position on a DB and I didn't see any safety behind him.

Advertisement
Back