My Post Game Recap - Va Tech

It's true, Diaz called the Defense this game, he didn't allow Baker to make any play calls, he just contributed on personnel substitutions & play charting.

This was Diaz's game on Defense though.

if this was the case Diaz did not call a good game in the first half. Looked like a Baker coached half. I can see him taking over in the second half though. There was a much noticeable difference

Advertisement
we gotta figure something out with that interior o-line.

traore couldnt pancake a S when zion caught that one pass. in fact, he got no push at all.

and i dont think i need to say anything about scaife. jeez.
Getting Jakai Clark back should help some.

When Campbell gets healthy I would even give him reps at Guard too, but Scaife needs to sit for a game, he's been terrible this season.

Great write up @Liberty City El - couple of thoughts:

1) Jaelen Phillips stock is up. If I was 50/50 on him leaving, I’m much confident he will declare now

2) on the opposite side, Bubba Bolden stock is down. After the first 4-5 games, dude looked like he could be a Day 2 draft pick. Now, I think he probably should return.

3) Couch looks great, now can we develop him to that next level? CBS in this system tend to regress - just look at Al Blades last year vs this year as an example

4) for those in the know, how plausible is it that Blake Baker is actually gone after the year is up? I’m going to reach out to my contacts to see if they have any information but that’s at the board of directors level, not sure if they’d know the ins and out of where Manny’s head is at right now.
Couch is a NFL DB. Prime told us before he ever got here. He has natural feel for the position and you can’t teach his feet. He’s a blanket.

I thought Frierson came out playing bad. Taking bad angles and just didn't seem like himself. He definitely picked it up later in the game and made some plays. Phillips had 3 sacks?? Maaan that ish felt like 5! Lol definitely will be ACC Lineman of the week for the 2nd time in a row. Couch is literally the perfect definition of a DOG! He has the intensity of Bandy but with waaaay better cover skills. And it's crazy to see he's our best tackling DB.

Advertisement
Couch is a NFL DB. Prime told us before he ever got here. He has natural feel for the position and you can’t teach his feet. He’s a blanket.

I hope so. I remember how good Bandy looked his sophomore year and then looked way worse in his junior year - hoping that Couch doesn’t follow that trend. Like I said in my post though, I’ve noticed CBs tend to regress in this system.

Advertisement
I thought Frierson came out playing bad. Taking bad angles and just didn't seem like himself. He definitely picked it up later in the game and made some plays. Phillips had 3 sacks?? Maaan that ish felt like 5! Lol definitely will be ACC Lineman of the week for the 2nd time in a row. Couch is literally the perfect definition of a DOG! He has the intensity of Bandy but with waaaay better cover skills. And it's crazy to see he's our best tackling DB.
It was 2.5 officially, but he basically had 3, they just split one of his sacks with Brooks.

It's weird though because Idk how ESPN tallies up TFL's & sacks, because I personally counted 14 TFL's during the game but officially they only had us at 11.

They must have some HBO Boxing judges doing the Defensive stats lol.

Advertisement
You said everything that needs to be said but I’m concerned about our tackling on the back end.

Safety’s throwing shoulders. Not wrapping up. Guys missing open field tackles to guys who have no wiggle.

I believe our next 3 opponents all have guys that will make us pay for that.

Bolden really regressed these last few games.

Hall makes good form tackles but doesn’t make plays on the ball.

Carter should be our 3rd down linebacker permanently. Atleast he’ll stick someone instead of riding people smh.

Advertisement
Gil got hurt on the 1st series. Came back and did his best.

It was 2.5 officially, but he basically had 3, they just split one of his sacks with Brooks.

It's weird though because Idk how ESPN tallies up TFL's & sacks, because I personally counted 14 TFL's during the game but officially they only had us at 11.

They must have some HBO Boxing judges doing the Defensive stats lol.
cecilpeoples2-2.jpg

Advertisement
Back