My Post Game Recap: Pitt

For anyone in the know, what’s really going on with the LB corp??? Is it injuries? Is it favoritism? Are the younger guys really “not ready”? We hear about guys not being ready all the time but as soon as they’re forced in for whatever reason (injuries, suspensions, etc), they look better than the player they replaced. What is it? Apparently TAC and his father were ****ed while talking to Patke after the game, so….. 🤦🏾‍♀️
Where’d you hear/see that at? I’m sure well be seeing him in the portal soon.

Advertisement
It does look bleak (what up Vern!) but, I don’t think Manny will be the HC next year...

My guess is Marcus Lemonis wants Hightower & Cristobal to be the new AD & HC, will that actually happen? That remains to be seen... I personally think we should hire an outsider at AD & an offensive minded HC, but I’ve discussed that ad nauseam in multiple other threads.

The key will be Snake James getting fired, the BOT for whatever reason really like Snake J & have kept him off the chopping block for the last 8 years, so maybe he knows just how to finesse them from sh*tcanning him, but if he’s reached the end of the line & he gets fired at the end of the season, we’ll have a brief glimmer of hope... Until they make the next hire lol.

I don’t think winning these games will save Diaz’s job & like i said in the recap, this Defense is going to cost us a game again at some point in the remaining 4 games left on the schedule, there’s no way they can play this bad & continue to win. Eventually Miami will get caught slipping & the bad performances of the defense will have us beat badly by either FSU or VA Tech which will ensure that Diaz gets axed.
Excellent points, I thought we would need 50 points to win.

Kiffin, Freeze or Herman.

One game doesn’t define an entire coach’s career...

The point is to create the most advantageous situation possible, the coaches who do that for us will be the ones who understand how to get our offense to become a consistent lethal threat & scheme up TD’s.
Kiffin vs Freeze next week! Can’t wait!

Happy for the kids who are actually putting their bodies out there. Good win for them. Nothing changes on the staff front in terms of wanting them gone but as I’ve said, if he’s getting fired he’ll get fired. You don’t just go 50-50 on that decision based on some games when you’ve lost 4 already. I believe liberty is right tho. They’ll wait and see if their guy says yes, prolly Mario but give this o personnel lane or similar, and if not it’ll be diaz

Advertisement
One thing that impressed me is that outside of that big Rambo uncharacteristic drop, the receivers had sticky hands all game. A lot of those TVD throws we've been praising had some zip on them and weren't necessarily "easy" catches. Catches you gotta have, but how many times in the last few years have you seen our guys drop those.

Advertisement
View attachment 159390

Offense:

Tyler Van Dyke - 32/42 428yds 3TD’s & 1INT
Jaylon Knighton - 17att 80yds 2TD’s rushing & 5rec 11yds receiving
Charleston Rambo - 7rec 101yds
Xavier Restrepo - 7rec 89yds
Keyshawn Smith - 3rec 83yds 1TD
Will Mallory - 3rec 68yds 1TD
Mike Harley - 5rec 53yds
Elijah Arroyo - 1rec 20yds 1TD

Gained 499 yards of total offense (428yds Passing & 71yds rushing), with 27 first downs 4/11 on 3rd down, off 70 plays at 7.1 yards per play & 29:55 in time of possession.

TVD made two really nice clutch throws after running himself into a sack on the first play, the deep hitch to the sideline to Rambo & the perfectly thrown deep post pattern to Key Smith for 57yds, then finishing off the drive with a nice 20 yard seam route TD to Arroyo!

Salute to Arroyo on getting his first TD of his career, many more to come, that kids has 1st round TE capabilities, once Mallory is moved out the way Elijah will be the next big time TE to carry on the tradition of TEU.

That double reverse trick play & deep ball to Mallory streaking down the sideline was an outstanding play call, they completely caught the defense off guard & slipped Mallory into the 2nd level of the defense for another 57yd TD!

Love the aggressive play calling to start the game, Miami’s offense is at it’s best when we go 4/5 wide sets & just slang the ball!

Great 40 yard long run off the inside trap play by Knighton, the key to that TD play was baked into the formation, Trips right with the X WR on the opposite hashes wide & because they had no choice but to respect the passing game & after Harley had just gashed’em for 20 yards off a Bubble screen, their Safeties have no choice but to play the WR’s to the outside which left the middle of the field wide open & for Knighton all he needs is a crease & he’s gone. Also, that was a really nice sealing block by Zion which essentially sprung Knighton into the 2nd level of the Defense, if he doesn’t make that block Knighton only gets about a 4 yard gain.

On the 2nd TD by Knighton, I’m glad he scored but felt like we should’ve put in Thadd or Cody Brown in to hammer it in for the goaline score or run some zone read with TVD.

On the first drive to start the 3rd quarter Mallory’s horrendous blocking reared it’s ugly head again when Maldonado just beat him on an easy and swim move to get the sack.

That was a great 8 play 85 yard drive in the 3rd quarter to respond to Pitt tying the game, it was a strong sequence of plays with 2 two runs by Knighton, a good pass to Key Smith, then a bubble to Harley & 2 more runs by Knighton to end it with a really throw & catch for a TD to Smith.

Restrepo played great as a chain mover on the Bubble screens, he runs tough with good contact balance & always pushes forward, he’s positive net gain player.

Bad decision by TVD on the INT, obviously if Rambo doesn’t fall down it’s an easy pitch & catch for a 1st down, but then with Harley falling down as well TVD has to just let that play die & throw the ball out of bounds.

That was a gutsy throw by TVD in the 4th quarter backed up on our own 1yd line & threw a frozen rope on a deep hook route to the boundary to Rambo to get us out from our own end zone.

Overall the offense played really well & TVD had the best game of his career in back to back weeks, he’s really stepped up & is playing at a high level. His arm talent is really shining through with his ability to stretch the field & put Defenses at a disadvantage because they no longer can just stack the box with 7 man fronts & play Single high safeties leaving their corners on an Island, they have no choice but to put their Safeties in coverage or play Nickel & Dime packages all game long or else our WR’s will pick them apart.

I remember @RedSquare telling me that TVD was the real deal during Spring camp & that he has a NFL arm, I was somewhat skeptical of his ability to play at this level because coming out of HS he wad a really elongated release but it’s become clear that he’s tightened it up & has really come into his own a QB. I know a lot of people expect for Garcia to be the shoo-in starter for next year, but TVD is really making his case as a fixture in the starting spot, he can put us in position to win a lot games if he keeps throwing it like he is.

But these last few weeks has been a perfect example as to why I’ve been calling for us to hire an offensive minded guru (Kiffin, Freeze, Herman etc) to be our next HC, because Miami from a personnel standpoint can already run the Air Raid & become lethal. The strength & identity of this team is in the passing attack first & then setting up the run off of tempo plays, we have enough weapons to shoot it out with just about any offense in the ACC (Wake Forrest included). We put immense pressure on Defenses when we come out aggressive & force them to defend all 4 corners of the field. When we spread it out & throw the ball to our playmakers we’re actually on par with most Big XII offenses in terms of potency & have a very good formula to win to compensate for how bad the defense is. The best this team has looked even dating back to games last year in 2020 like LVille, NC ST & FSU is when we go Air Raid & distribute the ball all over the field... Are yall sure yall wanna become a Power run offense? Lol

(And I gotta get this in), I know yall don’t want to, but you might have to give Lashlee some credit for the uptick in the offense since the Mich St game. I mean the only reason we’ve won any games this year has been because of the offense, it’s not like the Defense has held any P5 opponents under 25 points or anything... Just saying lol

The refs clearly got trigger happy with the yellow flag towards the end of the first quarter because they literally called a penalty on 5 straight plays doing all they could to kill any momentum we had & making sure that Pitt stayed in the game. They for sure didn’t want to see Pitt who was a 10 point favorite at home coming into this game get down by 18 points in the 1st quarter. The ACC has the worst officiating crews in all of college football hands down.

Defense:

James Williams - 9tcks 1INT
Marcus Clarke - 6tcks
Gilbert Frierson - 5tcks 1TFL 1 sack
Amari Carter - 5tcks
Corey Flagg - 5tcks
Kamren Kinchens - 4tcks 1TFL & 1PBU
Jahfari Harvey - 4tcks 1TFL
Waynmon Steed - 4tcks
DJ Ivey - 4tcks 1TFL
Zach McCloud - 3tcks 1.5TFL 1.5 sacks
Keontra Smith - 3tcks
DeAndre Johnson - 2tcks 1TFL 1 sack
Tyrique Stevenson - 2tcks 1INT & 1PBU

Gave up a staggering 587 total yards (519yds Passing & 68yds rushing), gave 32 first downs & was 6-14 on 3rd down, with 8TFL’s, 4 sacks & forced 2 critical turnovers.

First drive on a 3rd & 7, simple crossing pattern to the TE goes for 37yds, then after McCloud gets a sack & puts them at a loss of 14, on a 3rd & long the middle of the field was wide open playing Cover 2 & of course Pickett exploits it with the 24yd pass to Taysir Mack (which you could argue should’ve actually been ruled a fumble) but being on the road there’s no way we were gonna get that call. But the point is, we shouldn’t have even been in that position to begin with, once you have an offense at 2nd & 24 & then 3rd & long they shouldn’t be able to just make all their yards back on one **** play, the Deep third coverage shell should never be that wide open if you properly teach your Safeties what their assignments are & how to read their keys.

The middle of the field remains wide open on every play because Diaz’s defense refuses to account for it, when you’re constantly sending LB’s Blitzing to the A&B gap you leave that level of the defense uncovered, unless you’re going to rotate a Safety over to drop down, which we rarely ever do because we need our Safeties to cover on the backend because our corners (except for Stevenson) can’t cover in Man, which forces us to play Cover 3, 4, 5 & 6 all the **** time. It’s a vicious cycle that Manuel has never been able to figure out with his own recruits, he could only make it work when he had Folden/Richt kids on his Defense.

TeCory Couch was getting cooked all day, probably his worst game of his career thus far, he really wasn’t trusting his eyes at all & played a step behind Pitt’s WR’s the entire game.

Great undercutting pick by Stevenson, he trusted his eyes & read the play perfectly. He gave inside release & was playing the WR’s outside shoulder but he did a great job reading the WR’s shoulders & recognizing the outside break which made him anticipate when to cut underneath knowing he had Safety help overtop. That was a smart heady INT because he was basically beat on the play but trusted his reads.

Right before the end of the 3rd quarter McCloud/Harvey beat the OT’s & make into Pitts backfield to get a sack forcing a 2nd & 23, but just like in the 1st quarter Pitt literally gets all the yards they lost back on the next play, with a fckin draw play for 25yds smh... Typical Diaz Defense.

That was a very good high IQ play by JoJo (Kam Kinchens) on the goaline stand to begin the 4th quarter, he immediately recognized the QB leaking out as the potential read for the TD & closed the distance getting on top of Picketts route, if Bartholomew makes the mistake of throwing it to Pickett JoJo takes that sh*t to the house.

Another great play by JW on the pick. To be perfectly honest it was really just a bad throw by Pickett because he had Addison for a TD on the post route, he just overthrew & missed his mark, but it was still a heads up play by JW on catching a ball that was thrown right to him. That kid has star quality, once he learns the game he’s gonna be a really good All-ACC caliber player. Hopefully he ends up playing for a much better DC that will fully understand how to develop him & utilize his skill set.

Aside from a few plays by Rique, JoJo & JW, really the entire secondary got roasted giving up 519 yards passing, but the CB’s in particular were really bad. Stevenson was the only one who made a play at all. But Couch, Clarke & Ivey were horrendous, Pitts WR’s put on a clinic out there. Miami’s secondary has been broken for 3 years since we had the #1 ranked passing defense that one season & even then the secondary wasn’t great, but it’s gotten worse & worse. As yall know CB is my area of expertise & good God I **** near vomit in my mouth on just about every possession, every play is just free release inside with no presence or awareness to get your hands in & fight through the ball & don’t even get me started on the deep passes down the field, never seen so many corners who have no idea how to read the WR & get your head around & find the ball in my life. Our Corners have no fckin clue how to stay in phase & track the ball they play blind in coverage & are just always a step late & a dollar short smh.

Pitt just basically ran the same **** plays over & over again, shallow crosses, deep crossing patterns, hitches & curls all game long, which is smart on their part because Miami’s secondary is usually out of place & can’t cover down field.

The DLine played solid vs the run & got some pressure at certain points, but for the most part they over pursued running themselves out of plays quite a bit & often times would have Pickett dead to rights but just couldn’t hit’em. They were being held a lot this game too that went uncalled, DeAndre Johnson had an easy sack off an inside stunt after he beat the guard & his jersey gets straight tugged/ripped in the back & of course no flag & Kenny is allowed to run around & make a play. But otherwise, I felt Miller, McCloud, Harvey & DJ played the best on the line. Taylor had some solid reps as well getting in the backfield a few times.

LB play, was terrible. Like it’s been since Shaq & Pinckney left, whoever recruits LB’s for this team sucks at it.

The strikers played solid, Frierson & Keontra are good hybrid backers that can drop in coverage as well as Blitz in certain packages. They Blitz way too much, but in the instances when they actually get home it can work, sometimes.

But overall this was a good win for the offense, they’ve been carrying this team since last year, even the King regime had to win multiple games without any support from the Defense. Of course everyone wants Snake James & Manny fired, but the fact is beating 2 ranked ACC opponents is always a good thing regardless of how bad things are going in the season. Ultimately, this administration will make its decisions at the end of the season barring a complete collapse during these last few games, I still believe that Manny is gone regardless of how we finish, but I’m guessing it’s contingent upon securing an agreement in principle from whoever they want as the next HC.

Given how awful our Defense is I don’t expect us to win out, you can’t play this bad on defense & expect to win on a weekly basis, eventually it will catch up to us when our offense isn’t clicking on all cylinders & that’s when we’ll have another bad asswhoopin. We just better hope it ain’t at Doak Campbell...

At the end of the day, you have to always be good with a win, especially vs a team like Pitt that had a lot of hype coming into the game. Anytime we get to spoil the season for The Narduzzi is a good thing Miami is now 5-1 vs Pitt since 2016, we fckin own them even when we win by pure luck lol

Nothing has changed, celebrate the win & congratulate the kids, but it’s still fire Dr. Frenkenstein, fire Snake James & fire Manuelito Diaz.

Go Canes!

great stuff, El

couple of thoughts:

what concerned me most about our DB play yesterday was that guys were not only open, they were high school open. too many receivers running free, on too many plays, in a way that tells me it's not just a technique problem, it's also a mental one. guys are not getting it between the ears, and not completely understanding the what and why. getting beat on contested catches is one thing, but letting guys run free like they are they just broke curfew, ... that's a problem

I will never say a bad word about mcloud ever again. I don't care what his limitations, the kid has heart. true cane in my book

rambo doesn't drop two touchdown passes that hit him in the hands, we pass for over 500 yards and have 2 more scores. Wow. just wow.

rooster has been coached up. and not in the passing game, or in his running lanes. his pass blocking. he knows where to stick his hat, that is the one thing that keeps freshmen RBs out of the lineup, and he's shown real progress there. that's good RB coaching

I want to pull my hair out every time I see Donaldson do something stupid, or bust an assignment. the kid has Vernon Carey type tools. but he just can't put it together. unfortunate.

guys were confused guys mad mistakes. BUT ... they didn't quit. I will give credit where credit is due. the staff has its (multiple) issues, but the haven't lost the team. they are playing hard for these guys.

on TVD, yes, I said it in spring, but I also said it before he stepped on campus: he's our best NFL prospect since Craig Erickson. he has Sunday talent, he just needs to keep working and (please Jesus), stay healthy. and remember, he's still a newbie . he could go 11 for 24 and 150 yards next game and it would not surprise me. but we've see not what TVD is, but what TVD can be, and it's legit. what I also think is important to note, is that his development doesn't track a guy like Garcia (who I think is also talented). TVD was a multi-sport athlete, and compared to a guy like Garcia, who was strictly a California QB school kind of guy, TVD wasn't coming to college with the same depth of experience or coaching. he was at a good academic prep school, playing against schools like Avon, Choate, etc. it was just a different path. which is why Garcia probably has (had?) a step on him developmentally. But we're talking about a kid that is over 6-4, 220 lbs, multi-sport athlete, with a head on his shoulders, toughness, and can make any throw (on platform or off). for any 'canes fan, if you don't see we've just found the E-ticket in the back pocket of our jeans, then I don't know what to tell you

my two favorite TVD plays from yesterday: 1) the out to Rambo from the back of his own end zone. (that's serious business right there), and 2) him busting *** to be the first one to the mallory fumble and diving headfirst into it. they will play that tape three times at team film session. it's stuff like that which EARNS the respect and love of your teammates. trust me, they see that on tape, the other guys will carry TVD's ******* for him if he asks.

On to Georgia Tech ... Go 'Canes!

@Liberty City El do you think the DB issues are TRob’s coaching or the scheme/Manny micromanaging? I get we aren’t playing to our advantage by playing off and letting guys run free, but it also seems like our CBs can’t find the ball or do things like that?

@Liberty City El do you think the DB issues are TRob’s coaching or the scheme/Manny micromanaging? I get we aren’t playing to our advantage by playing off and letting guys run free, but it also seems like our CBs can’t find the ball or do things like that?
It’s got nothing to do with TRob & everything to do with Diaz...

Just look at TRob’s track record before he got to Miami, then all of the sudden he gets to Miami & can’t coach DB’s anymore?? If he was producing 1st rounders at South Car & UF, but then at Miami is struggling with players he inherited what does that tell you?

None of the players on this team are his recruits.

Advertisement

Just look at TRob’s track record before he got to Miami, then all of the sudden he gets to Miami & can’t coach DB’s anymore?? If he was producing 1st rounders at South Car & UF, but then at Miami is struggling with players he inherited what does that tell you?

Funny how people turn to **** when they arrive here

Advertisement
For anyone in the know, what’s really going on with the LB corp??? Is it injuries? Is it favoritism? Are the younger guys really “not ready”? We hear about guys not being ready all the time but as soon as they’re forced in for whatever reason (injuries, suspensions, etc), they look better than the player they replaced. What is it? Apparently TAC and his father were ****ed while talking to Patke after the game, so….. 🤦🏾‍♀️
After seeing Huff on the field (small sample size) was left underwhelmed. Anyone know what's up with TAC?

great stuff, El

couple of thoughts:

what concerned me most about our DB play yesterday was that guys were not only open, they were high school open. too many receivers running free, on too many plays, in a way that tells me it's not just a technique problem, it's also a mental one. guys are not getting it between the ears, and not completely understanding the what and why. getting beat on contested catches is one thing, but letting guys run free like they are they just broke curfew, ... that's a problem

I will never say a bad word about mcloud ever again. I don't care what his limitations, the kid has heart. true cane in my book

rambo doesn't drop two touchdown passes that hit him in the hands, we pass for over 500 yards and have 2 more scores. Wow. just wow.

rooster has been coached up. and not in the passing game, or in his running lanes. his pass blocking. he knows where to stick his hat, that is the one thing that keeps freshmen RBs out of the lineup, and he's shown real progress there. that's good RB coaching

I want to pull my hair out every time I see Donaldson do something stupid, or bust an assignment. the kid has Vernon Carey type tools. but he just can't put it together. unfortunate.

guys were confused guys mad mistakes. BUT ... they didn't quit. I will give credit where credit is due. the staff has its (multiple) issues, but the haven't lost the team. they are playing hard for these guys.

on TVD, yes, I said it in spring, but I also said it before he stepped on campus: he's our best NFL prospect since Craig Erickson. he has Sunday talent, he just needs to keep working and (please Jesus), stay healthy. and remember, he's still a newbie . he could go 11 for 24 and 150 yards next game and it would not surprise me. but we've see not what TVD is, but what TVD can be, and it's legit. what I also think is important to note, is that his development doesn't track a guy like Garcia (who I think is also talented). TVD was a multi-sport athlete, and compared to a guy like Garcia, who was strictly a California QB school kind of guy, TVD wasn't coming to college with the same depth of experience or coaching. he was at a good academic prep school, playing against schools like Avon, Choate, etc. it was just a different path. which is why Garcia probably has (had?) a step on him developmentally. But we're talking about a kid that is over 6-4, 220 lbs, multi-sport athlete, with a head on his shoulders, toughness, and can make any throw (on platform or off). for any 'canes fan, if you don't see we've just found the E-ticket in the back pocket of our jeans, then I don't know what to tell you

my two favorite TVD plays from yesterday: 1) the out to Rambo from the back of his own end zone. (that's serious business right there), and 2) him busting *** to be the first one to the mallory fumble and diving headfirst into it. they will play that tape three times at team film session. it's stuff like that which EARNS the respect and love of your teammates. trust me, they see that on tape, the other guys will carry TVD's ******* for him if he asks.

On to Georgia Tech ... Go 'Canes!
Wait..that prep school from the show “Power” isn’t fictitious?? Lol! Choate is a real school?? Lol.

Great points. You were the lone poster who said TVD would put Garcia on the bench and you were right. Dead right. Garcia gonna have to wait his turn. This is TVDs team now.

Been saying this all summer and sprijg

Advertisement
Back