My Post Game Recap - Pitt

Advertisement
Very well said.

Especially on the last part, we played the 2 best Defenses we'll face in Clemson & Pitt, UVA, Va Tech, NC St, GTech, Wake & UNC are all pure trash Defensively, as long as we come prepared to play every week & keep capitalizing off explosive plays for TD's we should win out, not saying we will, but we should.

All we really have to do Offensively is find a Deep vertical threat to take the top off of Defenses & we'll be a very hard team to beat the rest of the way. Gotta hope KeySmith gets his shot in that role. Wiggins has been such a disappointment this year.
I’ll give Lashlee props for scheming up big touchdown plays which is welcoming considering we didn’t have that last year with Penos. I think he’s done that for maybe five touchdowns this year.

We played pretty bad on offense and still scored 31 - with 70 plus plays. LMAO. I’ll take a bad offense that puts up 31 over anything we produced last year.

We’re failing forward. Agreed. We need to clean up a lot. I think Lashlee is adjusting to not having play making WRs Outside, and a QB who’s showing limited field vision and who also seems to be over processing because they’re asking him to stay in the pocket.

Last year's team doesn't win this game, especially coming off of a performance like last week's. Idk what it means in the long run or how good Miami is or anything like that.

It helped that some of the things that Miami is bad at (penalties, drops) also hurt Pitt as well. This was one of those "did just enough" games. But also keep in mind that Pitt has one of the best defenses in the country and Miami put 31 up.

It doesn't look like a shiny pretty win like the FSU game, but it showed a different temperament from the Canes than last year IMO.
THIS. We lose this game last year. We had zero resilience last year. It was ugly, but Pitt has a tough, gritty squad that will beat you even though they don't have great talent. Again, we lose this game last year.

A W is a W and this was a much needed rebound W. Agree with the assessments of the Offense: We can't have Pope and Harley on the field at the same time; let them sub each other playing the Slot. Wiggins is severely underperforming. Redding, Smith and Payton should be our outside playmakers, but we are not attacking the middle of the field like we should. Lashlee needs to incorporate more intermediate throws to the RBs and TEs as well.

We've got some good TEs. Play more two TE sets. How many teams we face will have LBs/Safeties who can cover two of our TEs on the field at the same time?

Keep fine-tuning the Offense and go thump UVA. Let's get to 5-1.

Very well said.

Especially on the last part, we played the 2 best Defenses we'll face in Clemson & Pitt, UVA, Va Tech, NC St, GTech, Wake & UNC are all pure trash Defensively, as long as we come prepared to play every week & keep capitalizing off explosive plays for TD's we should win out, not saying we will, but we should.

All we really have to do Offensively is find a Deep vertical threat to take the top off of Defenses & we'll be a very hard team to beat the rest of the way. Gotta hope KeySmith gets his shot in that role. Wiggins has been such a disappointment this year.

Agreed. Get ONE WR to step up, plus allow King to create, and we’re going to be hard to beat down the stretch. Lashlee is scheming wide open TDs. We haven’t seen this in 20 plus years. Gotta let the offense fail forward.

Advertisement
We played pretty bad on offense and still scored 31 - with 70 plus plays. LMAO. I’ll take a bad offense that puts up 31 over anything we produced last year.

We’re failing forward. Agreed. We need to clean up a lot. I think Lashlee is adjusting to not having play making WRs Outside, and a QB who’s showing limited field vision and who also seems to be over processing because they’re asking him to stay in the pocket.
This.

People really irritate my soul when they just remove all context & overreact to everything.

Lashlee is by far the best OC we've had in a decade, I don't want to, but I might have to make a separate thread breaking down the offense thus far to talk people off the ledge, it's getting ridiculous how people can't see what challenges he's dealing with from a roster he inherited & are acting as if he hasn't dialed up several would be TD's plays where either the WR dropped the ball or King missed the throw.

Not to mention, Brevin was out, Idk what people expected against a team with a Defenses as good as Pitts, I literally outlined exactly how it would good in my Pitt Preview thread from last week smh lol What the **** did people think would happen? Lol.

Nah I don't think his height has much to do with it, Kyler Murray is the same size & he won a Heisman.

Russell Wilson, Drew Brees & Baker Mayfield are all short QB's too & they have no problem with it. Dillon Gabrial at UCF is only like 5'10 as well & he slings it all over the field.

Our WR's are below average, our OL is average at best & King can be an erratic passer at times.
All those guys are pure passers though. Murray had one of the better passer rating from the pocket his last year at Oklahoma. I don't King is a good enough passer to take us were we need to be.

This.

People really irritate my soul when they just remove all context & overreact to everything.

Lashlee is by far the best OC we've had in a decade, I don't want to, but I might have to make a separate thread breaking down the offense thus far to talk people off the ledge, it's getting ridiculous how people can't see what challenges he's dealing with from a roster he inherited & are acting as if he hasn't dialed up several would be TD's plays where either the WR dropped the ball or King missed the throw.

Not to mention, Brevin was out, Idk what people expected against a team with a Defenses as good as Pitts, I literally outlined exactly how it would good in my Pitt Preview thread from last week smh lol What the **** did people think would happen? Lol.
More from you is always a good thing El.

My biggest takeaways are:

The guys seemed to come to play today.
Pitt and Clemp$on were the 2 best defenses we’ll see this year.
Lots of youngins got PT today.

Advertisement
In the preview thread I called for good redzone and 3rd down defense with a lot of screens on offense. Just give me the **** headset.

I think we’re significantly improved and will play UNC for a shot to lose to Clemson in the ACC title game. We’re flawed, of course, but we’re good. Its a 9 or 10 win team - those have been rare around here.

This game plan was clearly dicated
On us getting the ball out quickly. Still have a lot to work on but I think we are on the right track. Out biggest issue on defense was not having a very good pass rush. It’s very hard to cover someone for 6-7 seconds. But overall very happy with a win. If you guys are complaining about scoring 31 points vs Pitt y’all must forget how terrible we were on offense last year!!!

Advertisement
This.

BA51C659-162A-49A4-AA81-BDA1514ABA6D.gif

This.

Yeah - some of our fans are being beyond ridiculous. It's been over 20 years since we've seen players consistently running WIDE open on offense. I just think Lashlee had a more polished passer last year, an RB with better feet than Cam/could make something out of nothing, and TWO WRs on the outside that would make the 50/50 type plays a realistic option.

He's trying to iron out the kinks. And he was doing that LIVE against a pretty good PITT defense. He was still able to scheme up some phenomenal plays and call them at the perfect moment.

Context matters. On a BAD day, we put up 31 on a defense that's ranked in the top 5-10 in multiple categories, and their front is for real. I don't think we've put up 30 on Pitt in like 7 seasons - and we left at least 14 points on the field.

He's kinda handcuffed - and he's adjusting on the fly. We NEED to see if 83 & 88 can play. They need more meaningful snaps. Never know. One of them may have Frosh AA type skills if we give them enough targets. We already know what our starters have to offer. And it's pretty mediocre.

We also need to let King play HIS game. He's over-processing and it is impeding our progress.

We also have got to get the run game fixed, would love to see us try to create some cutback lanes upfront as opposed to constantly just running guys off inside zone into a wall of 8-9 man box defenders.

Would love to see us try and run outside the tackles just a little bit. Not at a Louisville-level volume but please, we never do it.

Advertisement
OP pretty much hit all the points. Good win against a tough defensive team in a spot where Miami has shown a propensity for flopping after an early season loss.

The youth movement a lot of people have been asking for is now in effect. 11 and 6 are the best linebackers we have. Flagg, in particular has been impressive. He’s around the ball every time he’s in the game and he makes the sure play instead of chasing (and missing) the highlight reel play. Couch looked very solid and made some nice PBUs . Our corners as a whole looked solid in man coverage but he have issues with zone and not matching up correctly. Not sure if that’s on the players or the coaches or both. Dee Wiggins, thanks for participating. Here’s your diploma. Now kindly take a seat on the bench. I don’t know what the record for worst catch/drop ratio in UM history is but he’s got to be near the top. Pope had a quietly solid game. I think he’s a decent #2 receiver. We don’t have a WR1. Maybe it can be Keyshawn Smith? We’re going to have to continue to attack the outside in the passing game because our quarterback is a midget and our interior line gets shoved into the backfield on ever play. We can’t create throwing lanes to throw over the middle. The tackles do a generally great job in protection. They ride their guys outside and upfield but King can’t step up in the pocket because our interior is horrible. Scaife is the most disappointing player for me so far this year.

But yeah, it’s going to get easier for our offense into the coming weeks. We survived the storm of facing the two best defensive fronts on the schedule in back to back games and hopefully we can continue to make progress. It could be much worse than being 4-1 right now.
Great point about the tackles pushing the edge rushers upfield for the most part but there isn't a pocket for King to step up into. And no throwing lanes to work the middle of the field.

Harley was as much to blame for the INT as King. For three years now a huge percentage of INTs come on throws to him.

Yeah - some of our fans are being beyond ridiculous. It's been over 20 years since we've seen players consistently running WIDE open on offense. I just think Lashlee had a more polished passer last year, an RB with better feet than Cam/could make something out of nothing, and TWO WRs on the outside that would make the 50/50 type plays a realistic option.

He's trying to iron out the kinks. And he was doing that LIVE against a pretty good PITT defense. He was still able to scheme up some phenomenal plays and call them at the perfect moment.

Context matters. On a BAD day, we put up 31 on a defense that's ranked in the top 5-10 in multiple categories, and their front is for real. I don't think we've put up 30 on Pitt in like 7 seasons - and we left at least 14 points on the field.

He's kinda handcuffed - and he's adjusting on the fly. We NEED to see if 83 & 88 can play. They need more meaningful snaps. Never know. One of them may have Frosh AA type skills if we give them enough targets. We already know what our starters have to offer. And it's pretty mediocre.

We also need to let King play HIS game. He's over-processing and it is impeding our progress.
After some thought, I'm feeling better about the win today than I did during the game.

After some thought, I'm feeling better about the win today than I did during the game.

Yeah - we have a lot to work on. There's no doubt about it. But, it's not nearly as bad as some of our fans are making it out to be. Pitt (even if you disregard their great stats/rankings) have some **** good players up front - and a badass Safety.

We had a bad day and scored 31. That's it.

Advertisement
Back