My Post Game Recap - NC State

Advertisement
Some of y’all laughed at me when I said we lose if Leary was healthy two weeks ago. How y’all feeling now?

Defense had a poor game, but not as bad as it looks.

They only gave up 6 yards in the 4th quarter. They played terribly for the first 40 minutes or so, then really well down the stretch. 410 yards allowed isn't awful, although 6.5 yards per play is pretty bad. They were much more disruptive than they were vs UVA. NC St also played well - the WR pass was perfectly timed and well executed, the KO return almost won them the game, and they made some tough catches in tight windows (yes, in addition to too many easy open throws).
Man that **** was horrible.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Couch made an AMAZING play.

The blitz wasn’t delayed. Couch was flying in at the snap. The running back did his job and set up perfectly to pic up Couch.

Couch wasn’t having it though. He matrixed buddy so quick and sidestepped his *** like a matador. Was all over the quarterback.

One of the most beautiful defefensive plays I have seen in a while.

Tecory has real football instincts, he just looks and plays fast. To me, he's our best corner

For those who know better, what's the big differences between Manny as DC and Baker? I recall there being times where Manny's defense left alot to be desired (2017 against Toledo, Wisconsin, and the 1st half of UVA come to mind), but for the most part it felt like his defenses were legit top units in the country that would have probably been even more highly regarded if the offense had helped at all. Why does baker seem likes he's running something completely different, and something that EVERYONE is well-prepared for and regularly gashes?

Advertisement
@Liberty City El you are one of the best X and O guys here. And you know personnel. I’m decent so I want to get an honest take cuz I really have no idea: what are we actually trying to accomplish defensively? I see nothing we try to take away. We are beat by almost everything Pre snap! I don’t understand our coverage scheme, our gap assignments, our anchor points... nothing. Help me
https://brophyfootball.blogspot.com/2011/01/manny-diaz-bulletproof-fire-zone.html

This is all i got and were stillr unning just about all this. The spot dropping zone that we routinely run where our blbs just runs to areas and cover grass.

Nothing ****es me off more than when I see Bolden, or Blades, or one of the DB's running their mouth after giving up a 20yd gain on a run...

Like STFU & get yo *** back to the huddle dummy (even though we don't actually huddle, you know what I mean lol).

Phillips plays reckless too, he does a lot of talking, which I can understand from a DL's perspective you usually want your DLineman to be a little crazy & have a mean streak, but it needs to be intelligent crazy, not stupid detrimental to the team crazy.

It's called controlled chaos & the best Defensive players are calculated with their trash talk, not just out there bumping their gums while getting embarrassed by lesser talent.

You can't lose your matchup & then talk slick like you just did something, that's *** backwards smh lol.

Bubba Bolden got cremated on a play by NC STATE LT and still got up talking (throw back td). In fact a few plays before it him and the same guy was barking at each other...at that moment i knew me being a former OL...that aint the tree a DB should be barking up lol.

Bolden will definately be on his nfl draft highlight lol

This is why I effs with you, @Liberty City El

Wasn't talking about you, just the board in general.
I still think he's mediocre. Let's see what he does when we play UNC, and potentially a good bowl opponent. NC state, Gt, are trash. Vtech has two players Hooker and Herbert. We should destroy these teams on offense. Aren't Miami players the best players in the US. So, with that in mind we should be dominating.

Advertisement
It’s pretty glaring the team doesn’t fear Manny at all. I’m not sure if Manny doesn’t correct it because he doesn’t want to neuter the defense and have them play timid, but it reminds me of Shannon lead Miami.

Great write up @Liberty City El
One thing I want to comment on. Diaz is very much involved in the defense. I'm not sure just firing Baker will solve our problems unless Diaz finds a really good DC and let him work his magic. Also, their is a culture of lack of discipline, lack of toughness and laziness that the HC needs to fix. Not sure that all can be blamed on Baker.

As great as the passing game was, there had to be at least 3 times in the first half where King had plenty of time, after he dropped back, to scan the field (maybe time to do it twice). Nothing open downfield so he had to go to his checkdown for minimal gains. Wonder what changed?

Advertisement
Back