My Post Game Recap: Duke

I’m not arguing that we shouldn’t, nor am I saying it’s not important.

I’m saying the idea that our Defense is gonna go from the 90-100’s as it is now, to being a top 20 Defense in one offseason is very unrealistic & simply not doable. It will take gradual steps to get the Defense where you guys are envisioning it to be.

All those Defenses you mentioned were not overnight builds, none of those teams were God awful at Defense like we were & then suddenly became great, that’s a 4 year recruiting build. Miami just literally had a prioritized Defensive Head Coach & we were trash lol

What I’m saying is, the strength of our team is in the offense, so we need to reinforce our strengths to become a winning team, the QB that we have is in prime position to have us winning now, yall want us to take the slow & steady approach which will essentially waste our QB & have us struggling to be an 8-4 team.

Miami cannot be UGA, Bama, OH St, etc, we don’t have that kind of recruiting & we never will, even with Mario the God himself, Miami is not gonna be pulling in top 5-10 classes for 4-6 years in a row, that’s simply not gonna happen. But what we can do is become a team that understands who are & leans into what gives us the advantage over the rest of the ACC, which QB play & offensive firepower, it’s our grand equalizer.

It took Michigan 8 years to be finally good enough to beat Ohio St by using this vaunted “Run the ball & play stout Defense!” model that everyone keeps espousing, maybe if Jim Harbaugh bothered to recruit a good QB & modernized his offense like 6 years ago it wouldn’t have taken him so long lol.
How ironic is it that just a couple of years ago, it was Manny’s defense that kept us in games while the pro style bro offense couldn’t get out of it’s way.

Advertisement
I think that a better scheme and better fundamentals can make the defense respectable but it’s going to take a big talent infusion for this defense to get into the top 25 type of level. A team like Georgia has been stacking 5 star blue chip players on defense for years. There isn’t a single player on Miami’s defense who would start at Georgia this season. Arguably our best player transferred here because he wasn’t starting there.

Also, for the “defense wins championships” crowd, you’re not winning much if you can’t score. We literally had one of the nation’s best defenses in 2018 and went 7-6. Wisconsin and Minnesota are both top 4 in defense and are 8-4 respectively. Clemson is 9-3 with a top 10 defense. You have to be competent on offense if you want to win in college football.
I don’t know a single championship team who has ever want a cookie without being able to score. I think that goes without saying. However, most of the teams that are serious playoff contenders are in the top 15 in total and scoring Defense. It’s pointless to score 38 points if your Defense gives up 39 points.

Too many stats, you're making my brain hurt. All I need to remind you is that we played in the ACC Coastal over these last seven. I think we need a great defense to be in the playoffs.
Yes, and we will be playing those same teams every year.

Does OU and OSU have a great defense?
OU, OSU, and Bama have statistically better offenses than defenses.

Last edited:
I’m not arguing that we shouldn’t, nor am I saying it’s not important.

I’m saying the idea that our Defense is gonna go from the 90-100’s as it is now, to being a top 20 Defense in one offseason is very unrealistic & simply not doable. It will take gradual steps to get the Defense where you guys are envisioning it to be.

All those Defenses you mentioned were not overnight builds, none of those teams were God awful at Defense like we were & then suddenly became great, that’s a 4 year recruiting build. Miami just literally had a prioritized Defensive Head Coach & we were trash lol

What I’m saying is, the strength of our team is in the offense, so we need to reinforce our strengths to become a winning team, the QB that we have is in prime position to have us winning now, yall want us to take the slow & steady approach which will essentially waste our QB & have us struggling to be an 8-4 team.

Miami cannot be UGA, Bama, OH St, etc, we don’t have that kind of recruiting & we never will, even with Mario the God himself, Miami is not gonna be pulling in top 5-10 classes for 4-6 years in a row, that’s simply not gonna happen. But what we can do is become a team that understands who are & leans into what gives us the advantage over the rest of the ACC, which QB play & offensive firepower, it’s our grand equalizer.

It took Michigan 8 years to be finally good enough to beat Ohio St by using this vaunted “Run the ball & play stout Defense!” model that everyone keeps espousing, maybe if Jim Harbaugh bothered to recruit a good QB & modernized his offense like 6 years ago it wouldn’t have taken him so long lol.

I mean it happened from NoD to Manny

👀👀👀

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back