My Post Game Recap: Duke

Defense is still incredibly important to compete for cookies and conference titles. For example, this season, teams trying to make playoffs, such as: Georgia, Bama, OSU, Michigan, Oklahoma State, Cincy, ND, are all in Top 20 total and scoring Defense (most are top 10). Yes, the days of “elite” Defenses are very unlikely (Georgia is elite), for now; however, that doesn’t mean it’s not important. To your point, Miami should still make it a large priority to fix this Defense if it wants to fix this program. I would argue, prioritizing the Defense should be our strategy because it’s more difficult to fix, today.

Without a Defense, we aren’t competing with the elite.
Yes, we need a defense, but doesn't have to be great with a very good offense.
Right around 19/20 ppg allowed is the number.
That puts us in the top-10 of p5 teams.

We've averaged 37+ on O in our last 7. That ranks 9th among p5.

With a little tick in production on O combined with a 10th ranked scoring D,
our combined rank # (O+D) would be 17/18.

This year Michigan sits at 15. Bama 17. OSU 18. ND 23.
UGU? Elite number of 6.

Advertisement
His defense is and always be the strongest part of his program.

What he's done is old school and always works

His oline and dline are drooled over by the majority of CFB coaches...and if not, than those other guys are trying to reinvent the wheel...and thus they're still chasing SABAN
I think you are arguing something different. I’m not saying Saban suddenly is going to stop loading up his lines with NFL guys. I am saying that as much as he may prefer it, his days of winning the title with a power run game like he did vs LSU are in the past, and he recognized that. Do you think his wide receivers would be putting up numbers like in the last couple of years in the pre-Kiffin era?

They lost to Oklahoma in a shootout and since then he has entirely opened his offense up, mainly starting with Kiffin. And it has impacted his defense to a degree, as it almost always does when you move your offense to that scheme. Their defense is still very good but not like they were or like Georgia this year.

Last edited:
No.

I think they’re going to wait until his buyout drops to $6.5mill on January 15th 2022 & then make their pitch.

I’m sure Ruiz has reached out to him in private & all but begged him to come back & essentially told him he’ll pay him whatever out of his own pocket, but we’ll see if Cristobal wants to stay at Oregon or not.

EDIT - didn’t see your follow ups******

IDK about that. If Manny gets fired on 12/1 and Miami waits until 1/15 to hire a new HC?

That’s 46 days… Our 2021 class would be picked clean (not much I know), but our current roster would be tampered with like crazy and we would lose a lot of current players if we waited that long.

$2.5 million is a decent chunk of money but if the Columbus crew is serious about Mario they need to pony up and get him immediately after the PAC 12 championship.

I have enough self awareness to know I’d be terrible at it.
Great read Liberty City El. So true the pipeline needs to flow out of Tx like Jim Johnson had carved. Florida has talent but I don't see that grit. Okie State QB Sanders was a 2 star. Star rating is all about camps. But thanks for the game break down because I couldn't pick it up and that's shameful for a power 5

Advertisement
Yes, we need a defense, but doesn't have to be great with a very good offense.
Right around 19/20 ppg allowed is the number.
That puts us in the top-10 of p5 teams.

We've averaged 37+ on O in our last 7. That ranks 9th among p5.

With a little tick in production on O combined with a 10th ranked scoring D,
our combined rank # (O+D) would be 17/18.

This year Michigan sits at 15. Bama 17. OSU 18. ND 23.
UGU? Elite number of 6.

Too many stats, you're making my brain hurt. All I need to remind you is that we played in the ACC Coastal over these last seven. I think we need a great defense to be in the playoffs.

nd EDIT - didn’t see your follow ups******

IDK about that. If Manny gets fired on 12/1 and Miami waits until 1/15 to hire a new HC?

That’s 46 days… Our 2021 class would be picked clean (not much I know), but our current roster would be tampered with like crazy and we would lose a lot of current players if we waited that long.

$2.5 million is a decent chunk of money but if the Columbus crew is serious about Mario they need to pony up and get him immediately after the PAC 12 championship.

I personally think that time gap matters very little, provided Mario's already signed and sealed (or Lane or Stoops or Tom, whoever is their guy). Early signing period will already be over and the new HC isn't going to run practices for the bowl. Use the 2.5 for your staff. A few weeks over the holidays to land Mario will not make a difference.

I think the Offensive staff stays through the bowl game. The SMU staff is remaining through their bowl game; only Dykes is leaving for TCU.
I agree that Simpson and Likens probably run things through whatever bowl the Canes play in.

Love what Likens has done and I'm not being petty when I say he should never be interim HC if he's already taken a job at SMU. Rewards and responsibilities like that should go to guys who are trying to stay so they can make their case to the new HC.

I personally think that time gap matters very little, provided Mario's already signed and sealed (or Lane or Stoops or Tom, whoever is their guy). Early signing period will already be over and the new HC isn't going to run practices for the bowl. Use the 2.5 for your staff. A few weeks over the holidays to land Mario will not make a difference.

kids are going to be on break. Rival schools are gonna use that opportunity to try and poach players.

Do you think interim coach Jess Simpson is gonna be doing anything but looking for a new job?

That 2.5 will mean jack**** if we lose some of our good young guys?

Advertisement
kids are going to be on break. Rival schools are gonna use that opportunity to try and poach players.

Do you think interim coach Jess Simpson is gonna be doing anything but looking for a new job?

That 2.5 will mean jack**** if we lose some of our good young guys?

I would hope that any player thinking of transferring would be smart enough to wait for the new coach. But maybe you're right. That could be an issue.

It’s about time modern players finally started breaking 20+ year old offensive records at Miami. I guess two decades of pro style garbage offenses that struggle to score more than 24 points will ensure that records never get broken. Having a quarterback with 30 TDs or a receiver with 1,000 yards is so rare at Miami while other teams do it on a yearly basis. All credit goes to Rhett Lashlee. I don’t think we would have won 8 total games the last two seasons without him. We’d all be waiting around for 5 all American offensive linemen in order for our team to be able to score. @Liberty City El brought my attention to him when we were in the hiring process after the 2019 season. And I think he’ll be able to continue his success at SMU. It’s imperative that whoever the next head coach is at Miami that he brings and OC with Air Raid experience. I don’t want us stepping back into the dark ages with conservative garbage that only works if you have an NFL all pro team to run it.
Agreed, that’s why Zach Kittley is my #1 choice for OC if Mario is the HC.

I know Mario would never hire him, but you give a young Kingsbury disciple like Kittley our offense as is & we would burn down the ACC similar to what Wake Forest did this year just completely Airing out the entire Atlantic, they literally threw their way to the ACCCG & they have a roster full of low ranked 3-stars lol.

Defense is still incredibly important to compete for cookies and conference titles. For example, this season, teams trying to make playoffs, such as: Georgia, Bama, OSU, Michigan, Oklahoma State, Cincy, ND, are all in Top 20 total and scoring Defense (most are top 10). Yes, the days of “elite” Defenses are very unlikely (Georgia is elite), for now; however, that doesn’t mean it’s not important. To your point, Miami should still make it a large priority to fix this Defense if it wants to fix this program. I would argue, prioritizing the Defense should be our strategy because it’s more difficult to fix, today.

Without a Defense, we aren’t competing with the elite.
I’m not arguing that we shouldn’t, nor am I saying it’s not important.

I’m saying the idea that our Defense is gonna go from the 90-100’s as it is now, to being a top 20 Defense in one offseason is very unrealistic & simply not doable. It will take gradual steps to get the Defense where you guys are envisioning it to be.

All those Defenses you mentioned were not overnight builds, none of those teams were God awful at Defense like we were & then suddenly became great, that’s a 4 year recruiting build. Miami just literally had a prioritized Defensive Head Coach & we were trash lol

What I’m saying is, the strength of our team is in the offense, so we need to reinforce our strengths to become a winning team, the QB that we have is in prime position to have us winning now, yall want us to take the slow & steady approach which will essentially waste our QB & have us struggling to be an 8-4 team.

Miami cannot be UGA, Bama, OH St, etc, we don’t have that kind of recruiting & we never will, even with Mario the God himself, Miami is not gonna be pulling in top 5-10 classes for 4-6 years in a row, that’s simply not gonna happen. But what we can do is become a team that understands who are & leans into what gives us the advantage over the rest of the ACC, which QB play & offensive firepower, it’s our grand equalizer.

It took Michigan 8 years to be finally good enough to beat Ohio St by using this vaunted “Run the ball & play stout Defense!” model that everyone keeps espousing, maybe if Jim Harbaugh bothered to recruit a good QB & modernized his offense like 6 years ago it wouldn’t have taken him so long lol.

Advertisement
I’m not arguing that we shouldn’t, nor am I saying it’s not important.

I’m saying the idea that our Defense is gonna go from the 90-100’s as it is now, to being a top 20 Defense in one offseason is very unrealistic & simply not doable. It will take gradual steps to get the Defense where you guys are envisioning it to be.

All those Defenses you mentioned were not overnight builds, none of those teams were God awful at Defense like we were & then suddenly became great, that’s a 4 year recruiting build. Miami just literally had a prioritized Defensive Head Coach & we were trash lol

What I’m saying is, the strength of our team is in the offense, so we need to reinforce our strengths to become a winning team, the QB that we have is in prime position to have us winning now, yall want us to take the slow & steady approach which will essentially waste our QB & have us struggling to be an 8-4 team.

Miami cannot be UGA, Bama, OH St, etc, we don’t have that kind of recruiting & we never will, even with Mario the God himself, Miami is not gonna be pulling in top 5-10 classes for 4-6 years in a row, that’s simply not gonna happen. But what we can do is become a team that understands who are & leans into what gives us the advantage over the rest of the ACC, which QB play & offensive firepower, it’s our grand equalizer.

It took Michigan 8 years to be finally good enough to beat Ohio St by using this vaunted “Run the ball & play stout Defense!” model that everyone keeps espousing, maybe if Jim Harbaugh bothered to recruit a good QB & modernized his offense like 6 years ago it wouldn’t have taken him so long lol.

in terms of defense, I'd settle for being upper echelon mediocre next season. But seriously, just be sound from a fundamental and schematic stand point (and tackle more in practice)

As for OC under Mario -- very simple: who is TVD compatible?

in terms of defense, I'd settle for being upper echelon mediocre next season. But seriously, just be sound from a fundamental and schematic stand point (and tackle more in practice)

If we can manage to get our Defense in the top 35 next year, while maintaining a high powered Offense, we win the Coastal going away...

If we can manage to get our Defense in the top 35 next year, while maintaining a high powered Offense, we win the Coastal going away...

The fact that we still had to eke out games during this TVD stretch is a real indictment of the Diazster D.

BTW, the fact our staff took this long to get a guy like Chase Smith meaningful snaps is an absolute indictment on them. The guy is a natural ball player. It's not like we had Barrow, Armstead and Smith out there at LB this early season. Good grief

Advertisement

With the right development of some of the guys we have and success with the portal, we can definitely get there. We have some talent, just too many glaring holes. Must get Stevenson to return!

I think that a better scheme and better fundamentals can make the defense respectable but it’s going to take a big talent infusion for this defense to get into the top 25 type of level. A team like Georgia has been stacking 5 star blue chip players on defense for years. There isn’t a single player on Miami’s defense who would start at Georgia this season. Arguably our best player transferred here because he wasn’t starting there.

Also, for the “defense wins championships” crowd, you’re not winning much if you can’t score. We literally had one of the nation’s best defenses in 2018 and went 7-6. Wisconsin and Minnesota are both top 4 in defense and are 8-4 respectively. Clemson is 9-3 with a top 10 defense. You have to be competent on offense if you want to win in college football.

Imagine what this man could do with an offense that truly leans into putting playmakers in space similar to Ohio State. We get the next hires right and this team will be **** to stop

that's a ridiculous stretch for a freshman QB leading a team with an (at best) average defense, and an average OL.

those would be crazy numbers if he was playing UCF every week.

unreal.

Advertisement
Back