My Keys to Winning vs. A&M…

We'll be running into 8 man fronts all game.
Then TVD has to go RPO and get us out of a bad play. If I know it Gattis and Mario know it. Yes they might run it more than we want to keep a&m honest. If Miami can run it look out. I have to think we some some wrinkles on offense this week.

Advertisement
If I’m Jimbo, I just throw 9 routes all day and let my WRs outrun our CBs. We haven’t shown we can cover vertically and we don’t have a pass rush to get to the QB.
I would have N.Kelly as an edge rusher on any passing down....

It's obvious how this plays out. Our first play of the game is a flea flicker for a TD. 8&4 is stunned already. Then on our 2nd drive, we hand the ball off to Parish, he runs up the middle, turns around, pitches it back to TVD for yet another flea flicker that also goes for a score.

14-0 just like that. Gattis will just call flea flickers the entire game and we win easy.
Flea-flicker U.

We'll be running into 8 man fronts all game.
Yep. If that happens, the love affair with Mario is going to end in a hurry. We have the best QB we've had in a generation, and we're taking the ball out of his hands for 3 yards and a cloud of dust. That's just stupid. I hope to God I am wrong, because Mario is here for a **** long time.

I get it, we all want to be able to run the ball. More importantly, we want to score more points than the other team. I say we focus on that.

Check the advanced box score Bill Connelly does for ESPN. App State had something like a 22% postgame win expectancy. They averaged 3.8 yards per play, and somehow 8.2 plays per drive. That's insane. That's like 3 yard gain, 4 yard gain, 3rd and 3....3 yard gain lol. All night long. 3.7% explosive play rate.

The A&M defense came to play. But their offense is sooooooo bad. Pretty much exactly what @SouthParkCane has been saying all month.

But the blueprint App State showed is not what you want. It's not going to work the majority of the time. You're not going to win a lot of games averaging 3.8 yards per play, running the ball 51 times, and 4.5 yards per pass.

Just key on Achane. Nobody else on their entire team is doing anything. They averaged 6.5 yards per play on plays involving Achane, and 4.3 YPP with everyone else. He is the key, focus on him, don't let him beat you, don't give them short fields, and make them have to play consistent offense to beat you. Do that, and protect the QB, and we'll score enough to win.
I’d add Evan Stewart. If the rumors are true and jimbo might play Weigman some. Stewart will pan fry Rique. Rique technique way too sloppy and evan is advanced for his age

Advertisement
Mario/Gattis are gping to pound the rock.
You know pounding the rock is not a bad thing if part of balanced attack. It is needed to supplement a successful passing game. Your point is a concern though if we don't have an effective passing game to go along with it. One dimensional offense depending on the running game alone will not work against talented teams

I’d add Evan Stewart. If the rumors are true and jimbo might play Weigman some. Stewart will pan fry Rique. Rique technique way too sloppy and evan is advanced for his age

Wow...people talking about throwing Weigman out there Saturday? Tall task for a kid to take his first snap in a night game on ESPN in what should be a very close game, but he's obviously talented enough.

I assumed Max would be the next man up.

Passing on 1st down, then going tempo is going to really throw TAMU off and get them to back off at least initially if you can complete them.

And I’m not talking about 5yd dig routes only. 10-15yds down field type throws.

Wow...people talking about throwing Weigman out there Saturday? Tall task for a kid to take his first snap in a night game on ESPN in what should be a very close game, but he's obviously talented enough.

Yeah. Same whispers I heard about Haynes being the starter before camp finished. We’ll see

Advertisement
Yep. If that happens, the love affair with Mario is going to end in a hurry. We have the best QB we've had in a generation, and we're taking the ball out of his hands for 3 yards and a cloud of dust. That's just stupid. I hope to God I am wrong, because Mario is here for a **** long time.

I get it, we all want to be able to run the ball. More importantly, we want to score more points than the other team. I say we focus on that.
I understand what Mario is trying to do. He wants to toughen this team up and establish the ability to run the football. The thing is that when you also have a QB with the talent of TVD then you must use him. That is the tightrope Mario finds himself walking right now. However he hired Broyles award winner Josh Gattis to be the OC and this is where Gattis earns his paycheck. Let's see what he's got.

I mean southern miss threw a true freshman out there lol and he wasn't actually all that bad considering the situation lol.

Yeah. Same whispers I heard about Haynes being the starter before camp finished. We’ll see

****, that would be interesting. Not surprising at all with how bad the offense has looked overall that they'd make a switch, but I thought they would last week at some point, to be honest.

You hearing that if this happens, it's likely to be King to start and then Jimbo has a plan to put Weigman in at some point early? No way they're saying Weigman might start, right?

Running the ball 52 times for less than 4 yards per run, scoring 17 points, and being 100% reliant on the defense while simultaneously relying on their offense to not correct any mistakes at all is a recipe for an embarrassing loss. We would have poRsters and trolls en masse poRsting to fly the banners if we played like App St against 8&4 this weekend.

That doesn't mean that's the winning formula. It worked last weekend and to use @DTP 's brilliant blackjack strategy. It only worked because 8&4 busted out and App St got lucky and kept hitting on low cards with four 3's and a 5 making 17 which was enough to win both figuratively and literally.
This. They’re also gonna be locked in to fixing the related mistakes.

We still need to pound it, but creatively and with enough deep passing to keep them honest and off balance. Gotta trust TVD to get back to form, and involve the TEs more for even more problems to think about.

Advertisement
****, that would be interesting. Not surprising at all with how bad the offense has looked overall that they'd make a switch, but I thought they would last week at some point, to be honest.

You hearing that if this happens, it's likely to be King to start and then Jimbo has a plan to put Weigman in at some point early? No way they're saying Weigman might start, right?
More like Haynes has at least two possessions off the top promised to him. Stay ahead of the chains move the ball, don’t put his great defense In a bad position. If it’s the same sort of lethargic the superstar is coming out there. Is what I heard

I mean southern miss threw a true freshman out there lol and he wasn't actually all that bad considering the situation lol.

No, he wasn't awful. But honestly if whoever plays QB for A&M completes less than 60% of his passes for 7.7 YPA and a rating of 121, we should win the game. So the kid was pretty good, and had a lot of poise for a true freshman playing in his first game ever, but they still scored 7 points and averaged 4.62 yards a play, a number that would have been good for about 120th in the country last year.

This. They’re also gonna be locked in to fixing the related mistakes.

We still need to pound it, but creatively and with enough deep passing to keep them honest and off balance. Gotta trust TVD to get back to form, and involve the TEs more for even more problems to think about.
here's the thing - I dont think our OL can pound it against their DL. app state didnt exactly have real success running the ball. they just got extremely lucky they didnt lose thanks to ATMs offense. well see what happens Saturday, but regardless of my concerns, I dont think gattis is dumb enough to think the same strategy w such a low success rate will work twice

Advertisement
1663082102091.png

We need to be mentally and physically tougher than ATM, and our coordinators have to earn their pay checks. Players gotta make plays though. Big time players make big time plays in big time games. Go Canes 🏈

Advertisement
Back