My Keys to Winning vs. A&M…

CaneTheGaytors

Biletnikoff Award Winner
…a brief analysis.

In my opinion, the best chance that we’ll have to win this Saturday is if we play aggressive football from the get go.

On offense, I would love to see us call a pass on first down to start the game. I think that aTm will stack the box to try to stop our running game. Would love to see something like what Lashlee successfully called last year a few times (a pass design that gets the ball to either Arroyo or Mallory), or a wheel route to Rooster or Parrish. I’d also like to see more passes overall on 1st down to keep them off-balance and having to guess.

On D, I’d love to see Flagg and Ivey riding the pine. A&M has some serious speed at the skill positions, and their QB can run. I’d play a faster LB combo, and keep a spy at all times on the Aggie’s QB. From what I’ve seen of him, his strength is as a runner. If Flagg is out there, this guy will gash us, and he may house a long run. I’d try to make him beat us by blitzing more than we have so far this season, and by mixing/disguising coverages.

Ivey, as I stated, should not see the field as a starter ever again at the U. Great kid, but he is a serious liability, specially in a big game like this one. Wish that they would start Al Blades and Stevenson, with Couch at boundary.

If our lines come to play, we have a shot. Hoping that TVD puts it all together this week. He had mentioned in the pre-season that he had talked to Gattis about putting some plays in that he’s already comfortable and familiar with from last season. Hopefully Gattis listened and unleashes some of those type of plays this week.

It’s now or never. Gotta at least play tough and make it a close one. Let’s Go Canes!

Advertisement
Advertisement
…a brief analysis.

In my opinion, the best chance that we’ll have to win this Saturday is if we play aggressive football from the get go.

On offense, I would love to see us call a pass on first down to start the game. I think that aTm will stack the box to try to stop our running game. Would love to see something like what Lashlee successfully called last year a few times (a pass design that gets the ball to either Arroyo or Mallory), or a wheel route to Rooster or Parrish. I’d also like to see more passes overall on 1st down to keep them off-balance and having to guess.

On D, I’d love to see Flagg and Ivey riding the pine. A&M has some serious speed at the skill positions, and their QB can run. I’d play a faster LB combo, and keep a spy at all times on the Aggie’s QB. From what I’ve seen of him, his strength is as a runner. If Flagg is out there, this guy will gash us, and he may house a long run. I’d try to make him beat us by blitzing more than we have so far this season, and by mixing/disguising coverages.

Ivey, as I stated, should not see the field as a starter ever again at the U. Great kid, but he is a serious liability, specially in a big game like this one. Wish that they would start Al Blades and Stevenson, with Couch at boundary.

If our lines come to play, we have a shot. Hoping that TVD puts it all together this week. He had mentioned in the pre-season that he had talked to Gattis about putting some plays in that he’s already comfortable and familiar with from last season. Hopefully Gattis listened and unleashes some of those type of plays this week.

It’s now or never. Gotta at least play tough and make it a close one. Let’s Go Canes!
I like your gameplan but I really doubt we see that.

Advertisement
Advertisement
App St already showed us!

Control the clock! Keep their D on the field and don't let their QB(s) get into a rhythm. Also, key in on #6. Without him, that App st/A&M game isn't close
They will make adjustments. They have a good coaching staff. What worked for App St. might not necessarily work for us.

The key, in my opinion, will be playing to win (which means being aggressive with the play calling on both sides of the ball), and not to not lose.

There's really no gameplan discussion needed this week. Can we hold up on the lines? We haven't against an SEC team or Clemson in years and years and years. If we do, it'll be a game in the 4th quarter. If we don't, we're gonna get smoked like we usually do in these games. We can talk strategy until we're blue in the face, but at the end of the day can we open a hole and protect DVD on offense, and can we avoid getting pushed around on defense? Pretty much all that matters to me.

Ivey needs to go to the bench. I think DB is a strength, but he alone makes it a weakness. What happened to all the good things we heard on Dunson? Stevenson, Williams, Kinchens, and Couch can all ball.

I hope to see more of Wes, C. Smith, and N. Kelly in this game too.

Advertisement
They will make adjustments. They have a good coaching staff. What worked for App St. might not necessarily work for us.

The key, in my opinion, will be playing to win (which means being aggressive with the play calling on both sides of the ball), and not to not lose.

Check the advanced box score Bill Connelly does for ESPN. App State had something like a 22% postgame win expectancy. They averaged 3.8 yards per play, and somehow 8.2 plays per drive. That's insane. That's like 3 yard gain, 4 yard gain, 3rd and 3....3 yard gain lol. All night long. 3.7% explosive play rate.

The A&M defense came to play. But their offense is sooooooo bad. Pretty much exactly what @SouthParkCane has been saying all month.

But the blueprint App State showed is not what you want. It's not going to work the majority of the time. You're not going to win a lot of games averaging 3.8 yards per play, running the ball 51 times, and 4.5 yards per pass.

Just key on Achane. Nobody else on their entire team is doing anything. They averaged 6.5 yards per play on plays involving Achane, and 4.3 YPP with everyone else. He is the key, focus on him, don't let him beat you, don't give them short fields, and make them have to play consistent offense to beat you. Do that, and protect the QB, and we'll score enough to win.

Have you watched A&M recently? They don't have a QB. All the adjustments in the world won't change that. I think, if we can stop their running game from even getting started, we walk right through them. Easier said than done tho

There's really no gameplan discussion needed this week. Can we hold up on the lines? We haven't against an SEC team or Clemson in years and years and years. If we do, it'll be a game in the 4th quarter. If we don't, we're gonna get smoked like we usually do in these games. We can talk strategy until we're blue in the face, but at the end of the day can we open a hole and protect DVD on offense, and can we avoid getting pushed around on defense? Pretty much all that matters to me.

App St was able to do it to them being undersized. Time for that Cristobal and Mirbal coached OL to shine.

Advertisement
Back