My Fuente Opinion, and the coach it hinges on

Technically he lost to Cincy and the Freshman before we did but the officials had to pull out their Duke handbook to give Memphis the win. If they lose that game, I think they suffer a few more losses. Regardless he has no defense.

Advertisement
If Fuente has such an eye for a talented DC, why wasn't he able to duplicate that with his current DC? Perhaps he just got LUCKY with Odom?

So, Fuente lost Odom to another team. What makes you think he can get Odom back, when he couldn't keep him? BTW, aren't you against attempts to recreate the past?

Isn't it just as likely that Fuente would take his present DC with him?

That unfair.
Butch hired Bill Miller.
Not every hire works out.
The real test is if he is willing to correct the hire.

So why hasn't Fuente fired his present DC?

He's been working there for less than a year, and his defense is actually improving significantly as the year goes on.

Why didn't your boy Butch Koresh fire the incredibly incompetent John Shoop? Made a mistake hiring him and then kept him for 4 awful years.

I didn't come on here touting John Shoop.

BTW, I'm going to suggest that Butch consider hiring Odom as his DC. Happy now?

Stick to posting songs. You're all over the place.

That unfair.
Butch hired Bill Miller.
Not every hire works out.
The real test is if he is willing to correct the hire.

He's been working there for less than a year, and his defense is actually improving significantly as the year goes on.

Why didn't your boy Butch Koresh fire the incredibly incompetent John Shoop? Made a mistake hiring him and then kept him for 4 awful years.

Was that too complicated? I'll type slower.

I f O d o m i s g o o d, t h e n B u t c h w i l l h i r e h i m.

See, don't need Fuente.

Great post OP.

I got Fuente as my #1 . Started paying attention to him when Franchise mentioned him. He's the real deal and exactly the kind of coach we need. I think he's got a great football mind like his mentor. It would be a real shame to see him go elsewhere.

Last edited:

Was that too complicated? I'll type slower.

I f O d o m i s g o o d, t h e n B u t c h w i l l h i r e h i m.

See, don't need Fuente.

You're derailing a solid thread with the same Butch Davis stuff. Put a lid on it. There are other threads to discuss Butch, this isn't one of them.

Advertisement
Technically he lost to Cincy and the Freshman before we did but the officials had to pull out their Duke handbook to give Memphis the win. If they lose that game, I think they suffer a few more losses. Regardless he has no defense.
He has 3 returning starters on defense and lost his defensive coordinator.

He fielded a solid defense last year.

Meh, the former DC at Mizzou is the man who built that defense.

Coach Stec left to be the HC at Missouri State.

Remember, on 9/8 I posted about Fuente being an awesome candidate, so this isn't a slam on Fuente.

Last edited:
@GaryParrishCBS: Frank Beamer is retiring. So the Virginia Tech job is open. And that’s the one Memphis fans should worry about. Perfect for Justin Fuente.

i'll say it now, Fuente at VT would be a nightmare

Remember, on 9/8 I posted about Fuente being an awesome candidate, so this isn't a slam on Fuente.

I mean do people ever research before they comment?

Last year, Mizzou was 26 and 23 in scoring and total D.

This year, with Fuente's former DC, they are #2 and #9 . A marked improvement, even after losing a first round pass rushing beast in Shane Ray.

Advertisement

This year, with Fuente's former DC, they are #2 and #9 . A marked improvement, even after losing a first round pass rushing beast in Shane Ray.

No dog in this fight but just want to add that Mizzou has had some pretty good defenses for some time.
They had another DC before Stecket, Matt Eberfluss, who I believe is working somewhere in the NFL.
He was pretty good.
Their long-time DLine coach Kuligowski (sp?) who is really good, an elite DLine coach.

Yes, I do. I'm a Missouri State alumnus and live in Missouri. I know all about that program.

Yes, I do. I'm a Missouri State alumnus and live in Missouri. I know all about that program.

So you did the research you just aren't very good with numbers. You do realize 2 and 9 is better than numbers in the 20s?

Advertisement
He has 3 returning starters on defense and lost his defensive coordinator.

He fielded a solid defense last year.

Came here to post this.

I been trying to spread the gospel on Fuente. People are slowly starting to realize that mutha****a is real.

So you did the research you just aren't very good with numbers. You do realize 2 and 9 is better than numbers in the 20s?

I guess I would say I'm quite good with numbers, honestly (it's part of my profession). I don't have any interest in a ****ing match, I simply don't credit Odom for the Mizzou defense because halfway through a season he has produced good numbers.

If you look through my posts, you'll see a post talking about Fuente months ago. You'll also see a post talking about the Mizzou defense, their history, and the players that have come through the program.

This seems like a personal topic for you, or at least one you're quite passionate about, and that's not where I am with it, so I'll simply defer to your opinion on this one and give all the credit for their defensive numbers halfway through a season to the new DC.

Advertisement

I guess I would say I'm quite good with numbers, honestly (it's part of my profession). I don't have any interest in a ****ing match, I simply don't credit Odom for the Mizzou defense because halfway through a season he has produced good numbers.

If you look through my posts, you'll see a post talking about Fuente months ago. You'll also see a post talking about the Mizzou defense, their history, and the players that have come through the program.

This seems like a personal topic for you, or at least one you're quite passionate about, and that's not where I am with it, so I'll simply defer to your opinion on this one and give all the credit for their defensive numbers halfway through a season to the new DC.

Did you see Memphis' numbers with Odom as DC? You see there is a thing called correlation. He had great numbers at Memphis, and now has ELITE numbers at Mizzou. Thus, I think the man can really coach defense.

You on the other hand, are more interested in muddying the waters b/c you don't like the fact that your alma mater just hired a DC for their HC who actually isn't as good as the man who is now replacing him. All the way, taking away from the point of the thread, which is to say that Fuente is an offensive HC who absolutely understands defense.

Would love to have this man coaching here. My #1 choice is Patterson but that ain't happening most likely so this guy would be a great substitution.

Did you see Memphis' numbers with Odom as DC? You see there is a thing called correlation. He had great numbers at Memphis, and now has ELITE numbers at Mizzou. Thus, I think the man can really coach defense.

You on the other hand, are more interested in muddying the waters b/c you don't like the fact that your alma mater just hired a DC for their HC who actually isn't as good as the man who is now replacing him. All the way, taking away from the point of the thread, which is to say that Fuente is an offensive HC who absolutely understands defense.

Where, exactly, did I do these things?

Sometimes I wish schools wouldn't teach the word correlation any longer. There are too many people out there who completely misunderstand it.

SEMO, FCS team.
Arkansas State, 86th in YPP.
UConn, 93rd in YPP.
Kentucky, 61st in YPP. Only decent QB was 22-27 for a 9.2 YPA. 5.68 YPP was better than season average.
S. Carolina, 51st in YPP. In this game, it was the first time in SEC history that two true freshmen started at QB. What this means, of course, is Mizzou was facing a true freshman QB at home.
Florida, 62nd in YPP. At home, they gave up two first quarter TD's and were never competitive.
Georgia, 31st in YPP, but without Chubb and facing a QB who lost his job the next week.
Vanderbilt, 117th in YPP. Facing a true freshman making his first career start, who was then replaced by the guy he replaced. As has been the case against SEC foes, they allowed Vandy to hold the ball far too long and 183 true rushing yards.
Miss. State, 28th in YPP. Gave up 4 TD passes, 31 points, but at least they held them slightly below their season average with 5.58 YPP.

I'm sure Odom is awesome as a DC, but I'd say a reasonable person might find 'correlation' between Odom and Mizzou's defensive numbers improving, but also might question the 'causation' between the offenses they've played and those numbers as well.

Advertisement
Back