My Fuente Opinion, and the coach it hinges on

FullyERicht

Thunderdome
I like Justin Fuente. Not my number 1 or number 2 choice, but the man can coach. His record speaks for itself, as does his pedigree coaching under Patterson who is IMO one of the best coaches in the biz.

What interests me most about him is not even his prolific offense, but his defense......

Of course this year the results haven't been there, b/c as a small program Memphis got raided by the bigger fish this past offseason, and their DC was hired by Mizzou.

That DC is Barry Odom. Before Fuente hired him a DC he coached Safeties for Missouri. Three seasons later and Memphis was #5 in scoring defense, and #22 in total Defense. This success led him to getting hired away back to Mizzou to be their DC, where he now has the #9 total defense in the country, and the #2 scoring defense in the country.

This is especially impressive given how dreadful Missouri's offense has been (#125 out of 128 in total O, #127 out of 128 in scoring O!!!!).

So why does this matter for Fuente? Well first of all, if given the proper budget, the DC job at Miami is a much higher cache than Mizzou, and if you hire Fuente you not only get his insane offense, but a strong chance you could bring in his former DC who is a beast.

Secondly, if you can't lure Odom, I think it shows that Fuente isn't just some offensive scheme guy; he clearly saw the potential of a Safeties coach, made him DC, and that DC is one of the top coordinators in the game right now. That Fuente identified Odom early on is an excellent sign.

If Fuente can come with his former DC Barry Odom, that makes him an extremely attractive candidate. Fast paced spread scoring machine plus one of the best defenses in football? Sign me up.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Got dammit OP. U know common sense and facts arent allowed on this board. Fuente or Herman would be a beast at Miami.

I've been touting the same exact thing with Tom Herman and Todd Orlando. I wasn't aware of Barry Odom, but if Fuente could bring him, that would be huge. Coaching candidates that can clearly bring a top notch coordinator on both sides of the ball should be at the top of the list, imo. This is one legit knock against Butch. Who is he going to get as his oc? He got John Shoop at UNC to be his oc. A hire like that sucks compared to what these other guys are bringing.

Fuente has always been my choice over herman. He has been connected to 4-3 and 4-2-5 defenses. that i like. i just all around like him over herman anyday. fugg herman.

Advertisement
Excellent post. I've been loving Fuente since last year. He's the type of offensive coach who would kill it down here, and, as you pointed out, he doesn't ignore defense like a Kingsbury, Dykes, or Leach.

Fuente's a boss. What he's done at Memphis has been nothing short of miraculous.

If Fuente has such an eye for a talented DC, why wasn't he able to duplicate that with his current DC? Perhaps he just got LUCKY with Odom?

So, Fuente lost Odom to another team. What makes you think he can get Odom back, when he couldn't keep him? BTW, aren't you against attempts to recreate the past?

Isn't it just as likely that Fuente would take his present DC with him?

I like Fuente, too. I prefer Butch, Pagano, and Hue Jackson, but we should interview Fuente.

I hear Fuente prefers the Big 12.

Fuente doesn't strike me a guy who understands the way football is played down here. I agree though that he can coach, but can he coach here? U again will see the difference tm. Scott knows how it should be played. They'll cut it loose again.

Advertisement
I like Fuente a lot.
He has a good sample size to judge as HC. There is a lot substance and achievement to his tenure at Memphis.
I have him as 1A over 1B Herman because of it.

If Fuente has such an eye for a talented DC, why wasn't he able to duplicate that with his current DC? Perhaps he just got LUCKY with Odom?

So, Fuente lost Odom to another team. What makes you think he can get Odom back, when he couldn't keep him? BTW, aren't you against attempts to recreate the past?

That unfair.
Butch hired Bill Miller.
Not every hire works out.
The real test is if he is willing to correct the hire.

That unfair.
Butch hired Bill Miller.

So why hasn't Fuente fired his present DC?

That unfair.
Butch hired Bill Miller.

He's been working there for less than a year, and his defense is actually improving significantly as the year goes on.

Why didn't your boy Butch Koresh fire the incredibly incompetent John Shoop? Made a mistake hiring him and then kept him for 4 awful years.

Advertisement
That unfair.
Butch hired Bill Miller.

A test Golden failed miserably.

As for the actual topic of the thread, both Fuente and Herman possess very attractive qualities. I just wonder if UM has become wary of doing the mid-major thing again.

Last edited:

That unfair.
Butch hired Bill Miller.

He's been working there for less than a year, and his defense is actually improving significantly as the year goes on.

Why didn't your boy Butch Koresh fire the incredibly incompetent John Shoop? Made a mistake hiring him and then kept him for 4 awful years.

I didn't come on here touting John Shoop.

BTW, I'm going to suggest that Butch consider hiring Odom as his DC. Happy now?

His new DC is in his first season coaching there. I would never presume to judge any coordinator after 6 total games.

Advertisement
Fuente doesn't strike me a guy who understands the way football is played down here. I agree though that he can coach, but can he coach here? U again will see the difference tm. Scott knows how it should be played. They'll cut it loose again.

I didn't realize that football had different rules in south florida? Are there only 3 downs, and the field is 200 yards, with no kicking allowed?

That unfair.
Butch hired Bill Miller.

Very rare that a coach in his first season gets fired mid season

Last edited:

Did Jimmy Johnson and Dennis Erickson read the "South Florida style football for Dummies" book before they were hired?

Advertisement
Back