My depth chart factoring in newcomers

If Buchannan is back healthy I see him starting at Sam with Perryman at Will.

Buchanon is light for SAM, we'll have the same problems we had with Spence there, only worse. Our best case scenario is either Kirby or Northrup showing out in spring ball and taking that position.

Buchannan has played his entire career here at Sam. He's big enough for college Sam. He can run with TEs and play sideline to sideline (if he can get his speed back that is). Also, Perryman is the ideal Will backer, just like Spence. Perryman will step right in for Spence and be fine. We need leadership and I think Buchannan will provide that.

Advertisement
I don't doubt he has a legit shot. But the recent talk about morris from the staff has been it finally clicked for him and he's really improved. And Morris has a very good arm. I think it's a legitimately open competition. I just think someone saying one guy or the other can't win it, or is highly unlikely to, seems hard to understand.

I forgot who said it, but the reason Morris was getting snaps late in the year was because it finally came together for him. They said it was no coincidence that he was getting playing time.

Sorry for not giving props who said it first.

If Buchannan is back healthy I see him starting at Sam with Perryman at Will.

Buchanon is light for SAM, we'll have the same problems we had with Spence there, only worse. Our best case scenario is either Kirby or Northrup showing out in spring ball and taking that position.

Buchannan has played his entire career here at Sam. He's big enough for college Sam. He can run with TEs and play sideline to sideline (if he can get his speed back that is). Also, Perryman is the ideal Will backer, just like Spence. Perryman will step right in for Spence and be fine. We need leadership and I think Buchannan will provide that.

And he's been too small his entire career.

I don't doubt he has a legit shot. But the recent talk about morris from the staff has been it finally clicked for him and he's really improved. And Morris has a very good arm. I think it's a legitimately open competition. I just think someone saying one guy or the other can't win it, or is highly unlikely to, seems hard to understand.

I forgot who said it, but the reason Morris was getting snaps late in the year was because it finally came together for him. They said it was no coincidence that he was getting playing time.

And did you see what happened when he plays. SMH if you guys think the guy behind the guy who took us to 6-6 is going to do better, then IDK what to say.

I am telling you Golden knows how to motivate players. Morris getting props from staff, and a little PT at the end, was nothing but a move to keep Morris from transferring. You love to quote the staff on Morris, but not on Williams. well here you go...

Fisch on Williams...

"I would say his approach to the game is fantastic. It's a matter now that he hasn't been able to take reps with our offense because he's on the scout team. The spring will be huge for him, but mentally I think he'll be in a position where he's ahead of anybody coming in. He can make all the throws and obviously comes with great size. That always helps in the pocket." Quote from when we played FSU.

"he works super hard at things. He's done an excellent job of coming in extra, spending more time in the building, early, late."

Golden...

"With Ryan Williams, we add toughness, incredible work ethic and smarts on-and- off the field"

You will see more of those comments after it is too late for Morris to transfer. There is no way a coach in his right mind, would let on that the only QB who has run with 1st or second team offense, will probably not be the starter. If Morris transfers that leaves only 1 QB on the roster who has run any plays with the anyone on the team. Golden has to be trying to get closer to Morris than Sandusky with a little boy.

I have seen nothing on the field that leads me to believe that Morris is capable of being "The Guy" at Miami. If he is then Lord help me, because I can't take this anymore.

Advertisement
I will say one more thing since it seems nobody wants to discuss his chances. He had more touchdowns in the state game than Al Bundy. Seriously though, his HS stats are impressive.

I trust Goldens evaluations far more than previous staff's. It seems we have had so many bust over the last eight years, that there is no excitement for new players. I understand that, so I will shut-up now.

I wasn't really crowning Morris over Williams, mostly put him on top because he's been getting good comments from the coaches, he's got more practice experience in this offense, and he's got more recent game experience. Williams could certainly beat him out in spring practice; it wouldn't shock me.

Advertisement
Would anyone know if the reason that Morris is ahead of Williams as of now, because Morris was able to work with the team, and Morris wasn't?

God help us, we need a canny, capable, smart quarterback. It's been way too long . . .

From what I understand, as of now, Morris is ahead of Williams.

In what way? If I am wrong I would like to know, but as far as I am concerned the stuff coming from coaches is what smart coaches say to prevent transfers when they have no solid back-up plan. They have to have a legit starter, and back-up. If he transfers they don't, then they are incompetent(Like Shannon).

But I am telling you they will be neck and neck until a week before the first game, or maybe even on gameday. Kids will not wait in line these days. I wonder if transfers are up in the last decade?

Another good question is who on that roster listed as 3rd string will transfer?

And did you see what happened when he plays. SMH if you guys think the guy behind the guy who took us to 6-6 is going to do better, then IDK what to say.

I am telling you Golden knows how to motivate players. Morris getting props from staff, and a little PT at the end, was nothing but a move to keep Morris from transferring. You love to quote the staff on Morris, but not on Williams. well here you go...

Fisch on Williams...

"I would say his approach to the game is fantastic. It's a matter now that he hasn't been able to take reps with our offense because he's on the scout team. The spring will be huge for him, but mentally I think he'll be in a position where he's ahead of anybody coming in. He can make all the throws and obviously comes with great size. That always helps in the pocket." Quote from when we played FSU.

"he works super hard at things. He's done an excellent job of coming in extra, spending more time in the building, early, late."

Golden...

"With Ryan Williams, we add toughness, incredible work ethic and smarts on-and- off the field"

You will see more of those comments after it is too late for Morris to transfer. There is no way a coach in his right mind, would let on that the only QB who has run with 1st or second team offense, will probably not be the starter. If Morris transfers that leaves only 1 QB on the roster who has run any plays with the anyone on the team. Golden has to be trying to get closer to Morris than Sandusky with a little boy.

I have seen nothing on the field that leads me to believe that Morris is capable of being "The Guy" at Miami. If he is then Lord help me, because I can't take this anymore.

Sounds like you're projecting quite a lot onto some pretty bland quotes.

In what way? If I am wrong I would like to know, but as far as I am concerned the stuff coming from coaches is what smart coaches say to prevent transfers when they have no solid back-up plan. They have to have a legit starter, and back-up. If he transfers they don't, then they are incompetent(Like Shannon).

But I am telling you they will be neck and neck until a week before the first game, or maybe even on gameday. Kids will not wait in line these days. I wonder if transfers are up in the last decade?

For gods sake, don't take what I am saying as any sort of gospel, because it comes from "reports from Greentree" and you know how that goes.

But from talking to a few people who have some contacts (2nd hand to be sure) and my paying attention to the details of coaches comments, it seems Morris is the heir apparent. But we will see. They have to compete.

Advertisement
Position First Second Third
QB Morris Williams Dewey Crow
RB Miller James Clements Johnson Dillard
FB Hagens

WR Streeter Hurns Southward Carter Jones
WR Dorsett Scott Lewis Waters

LT Henderson Gadbois
LG Washington Lewis HS/JUCO
C Linder McDermott
RG Bunche Wheeler
RT Feliciano Barton Flowers
TE Dye Walford Cleveland White Hollifield

DE Chickillo Ojomo Hoilett Hamilton O'Donnell
DT Grimble Forston Pierre King
NT Porter Smith JUCO Moore
DE Vernon Green Williams Terry

SLB Cain Johnson Kirby Witt
MLB Gaines Northrup HS/JUCO
WLB Perryman Buchanon Paul Burgess

CB McGee Rodgers Payne Dortch
FS Telemaque Amstrong Swasey Cornelius
SS JUCO Highsmith Crawford Jenkins
CB Grimes Leggett Jean-Louis Hope
NB Finnie Davis

Thanks for the breakdown.

For gods sake, don't take what I am saying as any sort of gospel, because it comes from "reports from Greentree" and you know how that goes.

But from talking to a few people who have some contacts (2nd hand to be sure) and my paying attention to the details of coaches comments, it seems Morris is the heir apparent. But we will see. They have to compete.

I've heard 2nd hand that Morris is Golden's fave, Fisch like Williams. So I'd say that should equal comp.

Advertisement
I think Morris can be pretty good here. IDK why people are so down on him. I thought he was solid last year when Jacory went down; coming in as a true freshman with barely any reps with the 1st team. He has all the physical tools. This will be his 2nd year in this offense. I expect Fish to implement some plays taking advantage of his athleticism as well. I hope Williams is good, but Im excited to see Morris.

On 2nd thought, I could see Payne being asked to move on after this season.

Payne's from STA, so that might bear on whether he's asked to transfer. Don't want to be burning bridges at that program.

Depends on how they ask him to move on too. Some kids they wish them lots of luck, others they help find a new home.

Yeah, I have no idea how things might evolve with Payne of course. Just raising it as a unique factor in dealing with him that wouldn't necessarily apply to, say, an Andrew Tallman

Advertisement
Back