My Depth Chart 2021

Advertisement
My reasoning was that Brooks doesn't seem to be doing much at LB and when he came in for the fall he really looked like he had put on some good weight. I know that he excelled as a edge player in HS so I thought it might be a good move. I know we have some good players at DE but it just seems like we are in need of more depth. I wrote that post after Fishman was getting 2nd team reps so maybe I overreacted. I still think it might be an idea to tinker with come next spring. The bottom line is that Sam Brooks has a certain skill set that has not been taken advantage of by this staff yet. I would rather he try his hand at DE then waste away at 3rd string MLB.
I am not totally against having him as a back up plan for DE but I think you're forgetting the fact that he has been injured multiple times. That is why he hasn't made noise at LB. And when he did play (small sample size regardless), he looked solid at MLB.

What’s up with Rique? I assumed he’d lock up one of the starting CB spots. Ivey’s really been out playing him? With Hall... I’m assuming he’s winning due to having more experience than the younger guys and knowing what to do and where to be (don’t take bait) more so than the guys behind him... Honestly.. if it gets bad enough I’d let one of the young pups get in and get that experience..

Advertisement
I’m cool with that, I’d start Scafie at Center though
Have you watched Scaife play the last 2 years? His best position was RT but was only average playing there and last year at guard he was the worst o-line man i have seen playing at Miami in 20 years. Not only did he have zero idea of who to block when he missed a block he just stood there looking around the young man was just lost in space.

Hall has gotten alot of flack on here and I agree hes been really quiet this Fall camp season but **** and was a huge disappointment last year..BUT every time I look up hes in the starting lineup at SS and there hasnt been any buzz that he is in danger of losing that spot. (shrugs). If the light comes on for him that will make this secondary top 5 easily in the nation.

I think Wiggins is pretty much damaged goods and its a wrap for him barring alot of injuries. I do think Pope is still in the fight and will go down swinging. Wouldnt shock me to see him in the top 6 WR rotation. (Harley, Rambo, KSmith, Xman, Pope, TBD)

That DT rotation could be the best in decades. (Ford, Miller, Nesta, JHH, LT) JHH is a backup and some overzealous posters had him pegged as leaving early for the draft after this year. lol. Very excited for this group. I think they will mask any issues we have at DE and even LB.

If you cant get excited about the potential we have this season not sure what to tell you. This could be a very special season and the type of season we need to close on alot of big time recruits who are waiting to see what the product looks like before buying in. (JSingletary, KWilson, SStewart, WBissainthe, AntLucas, JArmella, NKelly, JSkinner, to name a few)

Hall has gotten alot of flack on here and I agree hes been really quiet this Fall camp season but **** and was a huge disappointment last year..BUT every time I look up hes in the starting lineup at SS and there hasnt been any buzz that he is in danger of losing that spot. (shrugs). If the light comes on for him that will make this secondary top 5 easily in the nation.

I truly believe Avantae would have taken over that spot, but ...

smh

Advertisement
As of like a week ago we had two healthy D ends. Makes sense to me if we need a guy to rush the passer, put Brooks out there in a two point stance and let him loose. Why not?
There's no reason why it wouldn't work and I hope it happens. I think the problem is that some are still hopeful that he's going to be an above average LB.

Sam Brooks > Sam Fishman

Last edited:
Let’s revisit on Monday when we actually prep for bama. Depth chart is normally very fluid for first weeks of camp. Nesta and JHH will get starter reps. Flagg keontra will be LBs. TS will be a starter and play starter reps.

Based on everything I have heard about Fall camp I thought I would crank out a depth chart just for the heck of it. Most of the following is a reflection of how I think these battles will shake out based on information from here. Some however (Depth at DE) will be what I would like to see or what I think would be a good idea.
OFFENSE
QB. D'erique King/Tyler Van Dyke/Jake Garcia
RB. Cam Harris/Don Chaney/Jaylan Knighton/Cody Brown/Thad Franklin
LT. Zion Nelson/DJ Scaife
LG. Jalen Rivers/ Justice Oluwaseun
C. Corey Gaynor/Cleveland Reed
RG. Navaughn Donaldson/Ousman Traore
RT. Jarrid Williams/DJ Scaife
TE. Will Mallory/Elijah Arroyo/Dom Mamerelli
WR. C. Rambo/Mike Redding/Romello Brinson
SlotWR. Mike Harley/X. Restrepo/Mark Pope/D. Wiggins
WR. Keyshawn Smith/Jacolby George/B. Smith

DEFENSE
DE. D. Johnson/Zach McCloud/Sam Brooks
DT. Jordan Miller/Nesta Silvera/Quinton Williams
DT. Jon Ford/Jared Harrison Hunte/Leonard Taylor*
DE. Jafari Harvey/Chantz Williams/Elijah Roberts
STR. Gil Frierson/Amari Carter/Chase Smith
MLB. Corey Flagg/T. Austin-Cave*/B. Jennings
WLB. Keontra Smith/W. Steed/Avery Huff
S. Bubba Bolden/K. Kinchens/B.Balom
S. Gurvan Hall/James Williams*/K. Washington
CB. T. Stevenson/Isaiah Dunson/Al Blades
CB. DJ. Ivey/TeCory Couch/ Marcus Clarke
NB. TeCory Couch/Marcus Clarke

This is a talented, experienced and somewhat deep team that should win 10+ games this season including post season.

QB is rock solid and this is the best top 3 Miami has had since the 80's. King is a special player and leader.
RB is loaded. Enough said.
WR is loaded. Much of that is based on projections of fulfilled potential like Redding, K.Smith, X and the 3 freshman but Im still saying we're loaded. That's a ton of speed and talent.

OL should be very good and improved. There is a ton of experience here but depth took a hit with Clark recovering from injury and Campbell out for the season. There is some very intriguing young talent for the future here. Walker, Rodriguez, Washington, McLaughlin and Seymore will be fun to watch to see how they develop.

TE is in great shape with Mallory and Arroyo

As long as the OL does its job this offense should crank out yards and points. Overall this will be an exciting up tempo pass first offense with a ton of weapons. Expect to score and score a lot.

The DE position is a bit up in the air but I believe that this workmanlike group will get better and better throughout the season. They are young and unproven for the most part but there is some talent here without question. This group will benefit greatly from Simpson's coaching and ability to develop players.

Elijah Roberts needs to move to DE full time for this year. He is desperately needed there. Some may disagree but I believe that the staff should move Sam Brooks to DE immediately. I think that the depth situation demands it and I think that Brooks could find a permanent home there. Brooks excels at rushing the passer and in pursuit plus he has put on some very good weight, muscle and strength. Brooks to DE would consist of a situational role as a pass rusher this season. Next off season he can focus on putting on more weight and learning the finer points of the position.

The DT rotation is very solid and experienced. Leonard Taylor will take the group to another level. It wont take long for Taylor to claim a starting spot. I made an edit here because apparently the starting 2 seem to be Ford and Miller for now. Expect the competition at DT to be absolutely insane both leading up to and during the season. Expect different starting combinations until Simpson/Diaz figure out what works best.

The LB position is still a bit shaky and is in a state of transition but like the defense as a whole I expect this group to get better and better as the season goes on. Keontra Smith will solidify WLB. My big take here is Tirek Austin-Cave will take the starting job at MLB at some point during the season if he can stay healthy. Before he got hurt he was coming on like nobody's business which may have been the best news I heard all camp. Flagg, Steed, Huff and Jennings provide depth with Flagg most likely starting at MLB at the beginning of the year.

The Striker position is deep with Frierson, Carter and Smith.

Safety is a deep position. Bolden is the alpha here. James Williams will take Hall's job before the end of the season. Kamren Kinchens reminds me of a more athletic Jaquan Johnson. Kinchens has 5 picks this fall which leads the team. Losing Avantae hurt but we will be more than fine. I'm also very interested in how much Brian Balom has developed since the last time he got significant playing time. K. Washington seems like a tough hard working player who just does his job. I truly hope that Gurvan Hall starts to come into his own but Im not holding my breath. I want to see Bolden take the next step and put it all together into a truly memorable season.

CB boasts a very good and experienced group in Stevenson, Ivey, Couch and Blades. Dunson and Clarke are excellent depth. Stevenson is the lynchpin here. Look for Ivey to surprise many this year. Look for Couch to have a huge season. Keep an eye on Marcus Clarke. That kid can play.

Overall the best team Miami has fielded in 15+ years. 10+ wins is a must.
Special teams? Thanks for your analysis.

Advertisement
Based on everything I have heard about Fall camp I thought I would crank out a depth chart just for the heck of it. Most of the following is a reflection of how I think these battles will shake out based on information from here. Some however (Depth at DE) will be what I would like to see or what I think would be a good idea.
OFFENSE

DEFENSE

This is a talented, experienced and somewhat deep team that should win 10+ games this season including post season.

QB is rock solid and this is the best top 3 Miami has had since the 80's. King is a special player and leader.
WR is loaded. Much of that is based on projections of fulfilled potential like Redding, K.Smith, X and the 3 freshman but Im still saying we're loaded. That's a ton of speed and talent.

OL should be very good and improved. There is a ton of experience here but depth took a hit with Clark recovering from injury and Campbell out for the season. There is some very intriguing young talent for the future here. Walker, Rodriguez, Washington, McLaughlin and Seymore will be fun to watch to see how they develop.

As long as the OL does its job this offense should crank out yards and points. Overall this will be an exciting up tempo pass first offense with a ton of weapons. Expect to score and score a lot.

The DE position is a bit up in the air but I believe that this workmanlike group will get better and better throughout the season. They are young and unproven for the most part but there is some talent here without question. This group will benefit greatly from Simpson's coaching and ability to develop players.

Elijah Roberts needs to move to DE full time for this year. He is desperately needed there. Some may disagree but I believe that the staff should move Sam Brooks to DE immediately. I think that the depth situation demands it and I think that Brooks could find a permanent home there. Brooks excels at rushing the passer and in pursuit plus he has put on some very good weight, muscle and strength. Brooks to DE would consist of a situational role as a pass rusher this season. Next off season he can focus on putting on more weight and learning the finer points of the position.

The DT rotation is very solid and experienced. Leonard Taylor will take the group to another level. It wont take long for Taylor to claim a starting spot. I made an edit here because apparently the starting 2 seem to be Ford and Miller for now. Expect the competition at DT to be absolutely insane both leading up to and during the season. Expect different starting combinations until Simpson/Diaz figure out what works best.

The LB position is still a bit shaky and is in a state of transition but like the defense as a whole I expect this group to get better and better as the season goes on. Keontra Smith will solidify WLB. My big take here is Tirek Austin-Cave will take the starting job at MLB at some point during the season if he can stay healthy. Before he got hurt he was coming on like nobody's business which may have been the best news I heard all camp. Flagg, Steed, Huff and Jennings provide depth with Flagg most likely starting at MLB at the beginning of the year.

Safety is a deep position. Bolden is the alpha here. James Williams will take Hall's job before the end of the season. Kamren Kinchens reminds me of a more athletic Jaquan Johnson. Kinchens has 5 picks this fall which leads the team. Losing Avantae hurt but we will be more than fine. I'm also very interested in how much Brian Balom has developed since the last time he got significant playing time. K. Washington seems like a tough hard working player who just does his job. I truly hope that Gurvan Hall starts to come into his own but Im not holding my breath. I want to see Bolden take the next step and put it all together into a truly memorable season.

CB boasts a very good and experienced group in Stevenson, Ivey, Couch and Blades. Dunson and Clarke are excellent depth. Stevenson is the lynchpin here. Look for Ivey to surprise many this year. Look for Couch to have a huge season. Keep an eye on Marcus Clarke. That kid can play.

none of the ppl you listed as starters are going to suspended for the bama game according to my source which is really nice. couple are in the 2 deep tho

Advertisement
OFFENSE

DEFENSE

none of the ppl you listed as starters are going to suspended for the bama game according to my source which is really nice. couple are in the 2 deep tho

....my point was we didn’t go 6-7.

and FTR, I don’t want McCloud or Hall out there either but your comment was just

You know what, nvm lol. Stay krazy.

Against a better schedule that would’ve been the outcome minus a few games bc of the “covid outbreaks.” This team was an average team last year with above average talent. Most of the experienced players on our roster are just fillers they don’t have starting talent especially the ones I named. So playing them starter minutes is going backwards… we need the veterans with talent playing with the younger players with more talent. And guys like Carter, Hall, McCloud, Ford, Jennings, Ivey playing 3rd team back up and special teams roles.

Let’s revisit on Monday when we actually prep for bama. Depth chart is normally very fluid for first weeks of camp. Nesta and JHH will get starter reps. Flagg keontra will be LBs. TS will be a starter and play starter reps.
This is my approach. Everything else is turning the ship before it's left the harbor.

That's a freaking stacked RB depth chart! I challenge anyone to find me a more formidable stable of backs in the country. Alabama may have one but I doubt anyone else can touch that collection of RB talent.
Don’t matter if they don’t have the hogs to create holes for them

Advertisement
Back