My biggest worry offensively

Advertisement
We see how good of a coach Enos really is... If we beat Florida.. All the credit goes to him... Unless its 7-0 final

I don't think it's any single position - including QB - that we have to worry about. I think we have enough talent across the board at all offensive positions to play with anyone on our schedule. I know installation is a part of Spring/Fall camps, but from the videos - I'm seeing us work a lot of "on air" sessions trying to work on motions and timing of routes. That will pay off in the long run, and it has to be done, but my worry is we're seeing the difference between installing Richt's offense and installing Enos' offense.

Let me qualify this worry by saying again - Enos' offense when fully installed and properly executed will be MUCH better than what Richt was trying to do.

However, what does this mean for 8/24? Will our offense be operating at a high enough level with enough proficiency for the plays we want to run against UF? Will we see timing issues, positioning issues, guys late on routes/QBs late delivering the football? To take it a few steps further, will this make whoever the QB ends up being 8/24 look worse than what his ceiling actually is in this offense - and will any negative results perpetuate the QB battle as the season goes on?

We've already heard of guys making nice throws/catches in one-on-one sessions, but certain guys struggling in 7v7/11v11 sessions. I have to think this isn't a function of talent or ability, but more getting comfortable with all of the nuances that go into running what Enos wants to run.

If we see the offense take several steps forward as the QB battle winds down in camp, then I'll feel better about it. If we don't see that in videos or hear/read that in reports as 8/24 approaches, then I think we'll be seeing the effects of trying to get comfortable in this new offensive system. This isn't a negative against Enos or his system, it's just reality that it takes time and more reps to get really good at running it no matter who the personnel is. Term it "growing pains" if you want.
I'm sure Enos will not try to use the whole playbook in that game against the Gates! Even if he uses 20 percent it will still amount to more then the 4 plays we had on offense last year!

He will certainly go with what the team can execute perfectly well. It makes zero sense to try things not working. Lets have confidence Enos will have us ready with whatever he feels we can throw at them at full speed. We still have 3 good weeks to go to clean things up.

I don't think it's any single position - including QB - that we have to worry about. I think we have enough talent across the board at all offensive positions to play with anyone on our schedule. I know installation is a part of Spring/Fall camps, but from the videos - I'm seeing us work a lot of "on air" sessions trying to work on motions and timing of routes. That will pay off in the long run, and it has to be done, but my worry is we're seeing the difference between installing Richt's offense and installing Enos' offense.

Let me qualify this worry by saying again - Enos' offense when fully installed and properly executed will be MUCH better than what Richt was trying to do.

However, what does this mean for 8/24? Will our offense be operating at a high enough level with enough proficiency for the plays we want to run against UF? Will we see timing issues, positioning issues, guys late on routes/QBs late delivering the football? To take it a few steps further, will this make whoever the QB ends up being 8/24 look worse than what his ceiling actually is in this offense - and will any negative results perpetuate the QB battle as the season goes on?

We've already heard of guys making nice throws/catches in one-on-one sessions, but certain guys struggling in 7v7/11v11 sessions. I have to think this isn't a function of talent or ability, but more getting comfortable with all of the nuances that go into running what Enos wants to run.

If we see the offense take several steps forward as the QB battle winds down in camp, then I'll feel better about it. If we don't see that in videos or hear/read that in reports as 8/24 approaches, then I think we'll be seeing the effects of trying to get comfortable in this new offensive system. This isn't a negative against Enos or his system, it's just reality that it takes time and more reps to get really good at running it no matter who the personnel is. Term it "growing pains" if you want.

I an fully expecting to see an offense similar to Richt's offense with the occassional wrinkle. Enos is not going to go full D'Onofrio on this team and force a square peg in a round hole.

Advertisement
I an fully expecting to see an offense similar to Richt's offense with the occassional wrinkle. Enos is not going to go full D'Onofrio on this team and force a square peg in a round hole.
Would be shocked if we see anything similar to Richt's offense and playcalls. If anything, you're going to see what it looked like when Diaz transitioned D'Onofrio's defense in 2016.

By the end of the 1st half on 08/24, there's a decent chance we'll have thrown more passes inside the hash marks than during all of the 2018 season.

My only concern is, god forbid, we somehow lose this game and the whole team goes in the tank. It happens every year with this program. I know many of you will dismiss it and say some nonsense like Manny won't allow it, and that's great. But history speaks for itself. When this team loses, no matter who the kids or coaches are, generally they pout and mope and feel sorry for themselves, especially in big/rivalry games.

We're winning, no doubt in my mind, but if somehow the stars align and those sheep****ers pull it out, I really hope the kids and staff can pull together and understand we can lose this game and still have a WILDLY successful season.

I'm not worried about the offense, I'm certainly not worried about the defense. I'm worried about the fragility of the psyche of the team if somehow it doesn't go their way. There has been a LOT put into this game, and rightfully so. But this is not the season.

All valid IMHO...thus why I think it is soooo vital for Manny to keep his QB selection private with the team until the last second. Deejay said 8/23...I say 8/24 15 minutes before kickoff. That is our only pre-game edge...they have no film on an Enos led UM offense, but will go back to Alabama and Arkansas moreso. The difference in defending Martell v. Harris / Williams is enough though...make them have to plan for all of it.

UM

Advertisement
The scrimmages will tell us a lot. If they can make plays against our D, we will be fine.
If a newly installed offense is making plays against an established, veteran defense this early in camp, we have major concerns. That's not supposed to happen, … ever. The defense is always ahead of the offense.

If a newly installed offense is making plays against an established, veteran defense this early in camp, we have major concerns. That's not supposed to happen, … ever. The defense is always ahead of the offense.
Early in camp the D should always be ahead, for sure. A week or two before the season starts, the O should be caught up. At least close to it. Scrimmages aren't "early" in camp anyway. I guess some are earlier than others, but it's not like they scrimmage week one of camp.

I don't expect our O to light it up. I do expect them to make some plays. If they don't, it is cause for concern. The O needs to show some signs of life.

Early in camp the D should always be ahead, for sure. A week or two before the season starts, the O should be caught up. At least close to it. Scrimmages aren't "early" in camp anyway. I guess some are earlier than others, but it's not like they scrimmage week one of camp.

I don't expect our O to light it up. I do expect them to make some plays. If they don't, it is cause for concern. The O needs to show some signs of life.

I believe there are three scrimmages planned. The first would be early. I don't expect much out of it but I hope to see that the OL doesn't get abused too much. It is reasonable however to hope the offense improves with each one heading into the UF game.

We need to remember that there was a collective WTF when the defense dominated a Dorsey-lead offense in the Spring and Fall practices. And it wasn't because of the talent on defense. Those offenses were quite talented in their own right. It just takes more time for the offense to get synchronized and get clicking whereas the defense can just ramp up on aggression.

Would be shocked if we see anything similar to Richt's offense and playcalls. If anything, you're going to see what it looked like when Diaz transitioned D'Onofrio's defense in 2016.

By the end of the 1st half on 08/24, there's a decent chance we'll have thrown more passes inside the hash marks than during all of the 2018 season.

Now I'm curious how many passes we threw between the hashes all last year...

Advertisement
It's Enos's job to have enough of the offense installed and operating at a level to compete against the opponent they've been game planning for, and to best utilize personnel strengths and exploit the defense's weaknesses.

Good execution, and correct reads for the game plan will be critical.

TNM coming out of camp with a new team toughness can make a huge difference. I'm good with two unsporstmanlike penalties because guys are going all out. Team Savagery baby!

Advertisement
Back