My biggest worry offensively

BWCD

Junior
I don't think it's any single position - including QB - that we have to worry about. I think we have enough talent across the board at all offensive positions to play with anyone on our schedule. I know installation is a part of Spring/Fall camps, but from the videos - I'm seeing us work a lot of "on air" sessions trying to work on motions and timing of routes. That will pay off in the long run, and it has to be done, but my worry is we're seeing the difference between installing Richt's offense and installing Enos' offense.

Let me qualify this worry by saying again - Enos' offense when fully installed and properly executed will be MUCH better than what Richt was trying to do.

However, what does this mean for 8/24? Will our offense be operating at a high enough level with enough proficiency for the plays we want to run against UF? Will we see timing issues, positioning issues, guys late on routes/QBs late delivering the football? To take it a few steps further, will this make whoever the QB ends up being 8/24 look worse than what his ceiling actually is in this offense - and will any negative results perpetuate the QB battle as the season goes on?

We've already heard of guys making nice throws/catches in one-on-one sessions, but certain guys struggling in 7v7/11v11 sessions. I have to think this isn't a function of talent or ability, but more getting comfortable with all of the nuances that go into running what Enos wants to run.

If we see the offense take several steps forward as the QB battle winds down in camp, then I'll feel better about it. If we don't see that in videos or hear/read that in reports as 8/24 approaches, then I think we'll be seeing the effects of trying to get comfortable in this new offensive system. This isn't a negative against Enos or his system, it's just reality that it takes time and more reps to get really good at running it no matter who the personnel is. Term it "growing pains" if you want.

Advertisement
Advertisement
for the guru's... from what we know about enos's O, how much of a step is it from what we were running with CMR? Is it possible these kids ran similar stuff in HS to Enos's O?

for the stat guys... i'm trying to look at it in a manageable 30% across the board stat....
- If our O play calling is 30% better than last 2years, how do we fare?
- If our Oline plays 30% better than last year, how do we fare?
- If our QB is 30% better than last year, how do we fare?
- If our WR's drop 30% less balls, how do we fare?
- If our punter does 30% better than last year, how do we fare? (realistically, punter should do 65%+ better)

Add all these up, plus a wash for our D play compared to last year.. where does that put us?

Yeah its alot to throw at these guys in a short period of time. Honestly the sooner QB1 gets named & the first team O gets to build a little chemistry the better. I realize its a ridiculously important decision that can’t be rushed. I’m hoping someone seperates themselves soon. Idc who it is.

I wouldn't worry about this - here's some notes from the SOTU site today. Sounds like the guys know what is going on in the playbook:

As we get further into camp, you can see that Miami is starting to dive deeper into their offensive planning. Today, I saw shifts and formations that I had not seen before. Both Will Mallory and Brevin Jordan were lined up next to each other and motioned at the same time while Brian Hightower motioned in from the outside. It was a very unique formation.

Yeah its alot to throw at these guys in a short period of time. Honestly the sooner QB1 gets named & the first team O gets to build a little chemistry the better. I realize its a ridiculously important decision that can’t be rushed. I’m hoping someone seperates themselves soon. Idc who it is.
I think we will see after the first live scrimmage. it will go down to at least 2 and those 2 will get more reps. But they have had the play book all summer to study it at least so there's that.

Advertisement
And Dan Enos isn't allowing the complexity of this new offense to slow them down. He was on top of his offense and his coaches hard today. Freshman TE Larry Hodges was a bit out of position and you heard Enos yell, “Is anybody going to coach this guy!”

SOTU article

for the guru's... from what we know about enos's O, how much of a step is it from what we were running with CMR? Is it possible these kids ran similar stuff in HS to Enos's O?

for the stat guys... i'm trying to look at it in a manageable 30% across the board stat....
- If our O play calling is 30% better than last 2years, how do we fare?
- If our Oline plays 30% better than last year, how do we fare?
- If our QB is 30% better than last year, how do we fare?
- If our WR's drop 30% less balls, how do we fare?
- If our punter does 30% better than last year, how do we fare? (realistically, punter should do 65%+ better)

Add all these up, plus a wash for our D play compared to last year.. where does that put us?
30 % more wins

Advertisement
I don't think it's any single position - including QB - that we have to worry about. I think we have enough talent across the board at all offensive positions to play with anyone on our schedule. I know installation is a part of Spring/Fall camps, but from the videos - I'm seeing us work a lot of "on air" sessions trying to work on motions and timing of routes. That will pay off in the long run, and it has to be done, but my worry is we're seeing the difference between installing Richt's offense and installing Enos' offense.

Let me qualify this worry by saying again - Enos' offense when fully installed and properly executed will be MUCH better than what Richt was trying to do.

However, what does this mean for 8/24? Will our offense be operating at a high enough level with enough proficiency for the plays we want to run against UF? Will we see timing issues, positioning issues, guys late on routes/QBs late delivering the football? To take it a few steps further, will this make whoever the QB ends up being 8/24 look worse than what his ceiling actually is in this offense - and will any negative results perpetuate the QB battle as the season goes on?

We've already heard of guys making nice throws/catches in one-on-one sessions, but certain guys struggling in 7v7/11v11 sessions. I have to think this isn't a function of talent or ability, but more getting comfortable with all of the nuances that go into running what Enos wants to run.

If we see the offense take several steps forward as the QB battle winds down in camp, then I'll feel better about it. If we don't see that in videos or hear/read that in reports as 8/24 approaches, then I think we'll be seeing the effects of trying to get comfortable in this new offensive system. This isn't a negative against Enos or his system, it's just reality that it takes time and more reps to get really good at running it no matter who the personnel is. Term it "growing pains" if you want.
Thoughtful post.

And Dan Enos isn't allowing the complexity of this new offense to slow them down. He was on top of his offense and his coaches hard today. Freshman TE Larry Hodges was a bit out of position and you heard Enos yell, “Is anybody going to coach this guy!”

SOTU article
Man. Pretty hard on the freshies. There has to be accountability

i thnk the gator will be a defensive struggle esp breaking in a new offense with a potentially new QB, but if its as advertised (both offense and QB), then we should be okay following. as everyone else said, if the OL blows, itll be a long year

Advertisement
I'm expecting lumps in the first game/early season. It almost always happens when installing a brand new offense. We can obviously win the game, but we're not gonna execute anywhere near our potential.

I wouldn't worry about the offense for the next couple of weeks.... its always been this way when we had great defenses.

I remember the year when Warren Sapp and co were here. They had to bench Sapp and some of his DL so that the offense could get a play off during practice.... it was borderline comical how the offense was getting beaten like a drum during fall practice...

1564500176067.png

Automatic ban for anyone stirring up **** after game one of a new offense against a solid opponent. Shaking my **** head at just the thought of people doing that.

Advertisement
Back