Off-Topic My ATL People...places to stay for Bama

I’m going to be in ATL (coming from Miami) for the game, got a AirBnB like 5mins away from the stadium

want to hit up some nice restaurants down there? Any good suggestion?
Depends what kind of food you like. To me, the best places in Atlanta right now are Miller Union, BoccaLupo, and Kimball House. Redbird is very good too. Kimball is in Decatur, so may be a little tougher to get to. I would probably do Miller Union or Redbird factoring in their location. Both will have good bars nearby as well.

Advertisement
*Reads thread*....welp, guess I'll have to watch the game on TV since ATL has seemingly turned into a small town from Saving Private Ryan. I can't speak on any of it because I'm in NC, but has it really gotten that bad in ATL???

*Reads thread*....welp, guess I'll have to watch the game on TV since ATL has seemingly turned into a small town from Saving Private Ryan. I can't speak on any of it because I'm in NC, but has it really gotten that bad in ATL???
There are no issues in Atlanta that don't exist in every major city. Lots of flashy money so lots of property crime mostly involving cars. The violent crime is pretty restricted to certain neighborhoods and very easy to avoid unless you are out at 2-4 am and then **** can go down anywhere.

I prosecuted murders and *** crimes in Fulton County from 2000-2005 and I have defended criminal cases since then. Nothing has changed in terms of the crime. My clients are not doing anything different today than they did 15 years ago and they most definitely don't pay attention to any Defund the Police campaigns (which don't exist in Atlanta anyways).

The only real difference is that certain news carriers have a vested interest in promoting the crime story as a political wedge issue so they run the stories over and over again, and eventually some of the sheep believe the stories. But take if from someone on the inside its the same ole same ole.

I don't want to sound like a jerk but I am confident all my ATL brothers and sisters will agree with the following statement. If you are scared to be in Atlanta you are soft as a motherf****r.

Don’t get me wrong crime has spiked but Atl is still a beautiful city and great place to visit

Advertisement
There are no issues in Atlanta that don't exist in every major city. Lots of flashy money so lots of property crime mostly involving cars. The violent crime is pretty restricted to certain neighborhoods and very easy to avoid unless you are out at 2-4 am and then **** can go down anywhere.

I prosecuted murders and *** crimes in Fulton County from 2000-2005 and I have defended criminal cases since then. Nothing has changed in terms of the crime. My clients are not doing anything different today than they did 15 years ago and they most definitely don't pay attention to any Defund the Police campaigns (which don't exist in Atlanta anyways).

The only real difference is that certain news carriers have a vested interest in promoting the crime story as a political wedge issue so they run the stories over and over again, and eventually some of the sheep believe the stories. But take if from someone on the inside its the same ole same ole.

I don't want to sound like a jerk but I am confident all my ATL brothers and sisters will agree with the following statement. If you are scared to be in Atlanta you are soft as a motherf****r.
Why is Buckhead trying to leave Atlanta. How many people have been shot at Lenux Square Mall? What about the shootings on the interstate?

inside of 285 has become a murder and crime infested zone. it is close to becoming a like Detroit, Minneapolis, la, Chicago, Baltimore etc. id suggest you stay outside the perimeter north of the city....alphahretta/roswell

Andrew I’ve lived ITP for 25 years, went to law school at Emory and stayed out til 5-6am at the 24 hour clubs (don’t ask how or why). I hung out on Marietta Blvd before it was gentrified. Only a clueless person would get robbed or hurt in Atlanta. Compared to the neighborhoods around UM’s campus this place is Easy.
The Battery has good restaurants but its pretty white washed.
To quote Coolio “if you can’t stand the heat get your *** out the kitchen”.
dude you are completely wrong! I don't care how long you lived there. Decatur, buckhead downtown Atlanta, 5 points, grant park, Piedmont park...all crime infested areas. **** made it up to Cobb county. Andrw is 100% right...sandy springs broke away from the feckless leadership years ago running Atlanta and Fulton county and now buckhead is as well

Advertisement

The only real difference is that certain news carriers
Why is Buckhead trying to leave Atlanta. How many people have been shot at Lenux Square Mall? What about the shootings on the interstate?

have a vested interest in promoting the crime story as a political wedge issue so they run the stories over and over again, and eventually some of the sheep believe the stories. But take if from someone on the inside its the same ole same ole.

As always, I think the truth is in the middle. I live in part of Buckhead. There are definitely more shootings than in the last couple of years. But part of it is also enhanced news coverage, sites like Nextdoor. But yea, I wish people would cool it.

It’s a big city. Use common sense, keep your eyes open, and don’t wander off solo late at night. You will be fine.

Some local suggestions:

breweries
-Monday Night West Midtown
-Orpheus (midtown on Piedmont Park
-Torched Hop (Midtown but not
-West End (has Monday Night and Wild Heaven in it)
-Halfway Crooks (summerhill)
-Wrecking Bar

Breakfast
-Home Grown
-Bread and Butterfly
-Superica
-Petit Chou
-Joy Cafe
-Torched Hop
-Buttermilk Kitchen

Food Halls
-Ponce City Market
-Krog St Market

Pizza
-Antico
-Pizza Jeans
-Glide
-Nina and Rafi

Bbq
-Das
-Fox Bros
-Woods Chapel
-Rodney Scott and Bs Cracklin are hopefully opening by then.

Bar food
-Wrecking Bar
-The Porter
-Brickstore Pub
-Cypress Pint
-Torched Hop
-Argosy

Upscale
-Miller Union
-Aziza
-Boccalupo
-JCT Kitchen
-Little Bear
-Aria
-Bacchanalia
-Kimball House
-8Arm
-Umi

inside of 285 has become a murder and crime infested zone. it is close to becoming a like Detroit, Minneapolis, la, Chicago, Baltimore etc. id suggest you stay outside the perimeter north of the city....alphahretta/roswell
This is such an exaggeration and nonsense. Absolutely no one should stay in Alpharetta or Roswell, especially if they are flying in. For one, they are suburban ****. Should I stay in Coral Springs if I go to Miami? Two, driving through the connector and then driving back through on gameday is just beyond asinine. Truly. Three, just stop watching the news and disconnect for a bit. It’s gonna be ok.

This is such an exaggeration and nonsense. Absolutely no one should stay in Alpharetta or Roswell, especially if they are flying in. For one, they are suburban ****. Should I stay in Coral Springs if I go to Miami? Two, driving through the connector and then driving back through on gameday is just beyond asinine. Truly. Three, just stop watching the news and disconnect for a bit. It’s gonna be ok.
I’ve posted crime stats. It’s ok to recommend buckhead or midtown but people do need to treat these areas differently than they may of a few years ago. Crime is bad but you can do things to keep yourself safe. One of those things is to make decisions as if you are in a high crime area, which you will be.

Advertisement
I’ve posted crime stats. It’s ok to recommend buckhead or midtown but people do need to treat these areas differently than they may of a few years ago. Crime is bad but you can do things to keep yourself safe. One of those things is to make decisions as if you are in a high crime area, which you will be.
I said that… don’t stumble off on your own, be cognizant of surroundings, don’t flash wads of cash or jewelry, use common sense like you’re in a big city, don’t follow strangers, check your Uber is your Uber. But that goes for anywhere.

Trust me, I live close enough to Lindbergh, between Peachtree and Piedmont, to hear it all. Crime is definitely on the uptick like in most cities. But painting a picture like you’re gonna walk out of your hotel and be shot or mugged at noon is just not true. Don’t be an idiot, know where you’re going, use common sense, same as it ever was.

Buckhead is trying to leave because like Sandy Springs before it, the rich people feel too many Atlanta "resources" are diverted to other parts of the city. It is very much a racial and financial issue. But considering that Buckhead has its own police station which is the best staffed police station of the Atlanta Police Department, it is not for lack of police services.
Andrew keep in mind that crime in Atlanta is pretty much my wheelhouse. Not that I know everything there is to know, but I do know more than 99% of people on this issue. I am friends with the former Chief of Police, have represented numerous APD officers in internal investigation cases and personal cases. I'm not bragging but it's what I've done for the past 25 years.

dude you are completely wrong! I don't care how long you lived there. Decatur, buckhead downtown Atlanta, 5 points, grant park, Piedmont park...all crime infested areas. **** made it up to Cobb county. Andrw is 100% right...sandy springs broke away from the feckless leadership years ago running Atlanta and Fulton county and now buckhead is as well
No offense but anyone who is sacred walking the streets in Atlanta, Decatur,, Piedmont Park is pretty much soft as ****.

Advertisement

Andrew, crime stats are reported by police departments to the FBI. It is all self-reported. When the Atlanta Police Department want more officers and more money, the crime stats go up. And when the mayor is running for re-election or the city wants to host the NCAA tourney or Super Bowl, crime stats amazingly go down. To rely on self reported crime stats and not see the motivation behind the stats is missing a lot. I promise that everything in this comment is coming straight to me from APD officers.

Andrew, crime stats are reported by police departments to the FBI. It is all self-reported. When the Atlanta Police Department want more officers and more money, the crime stats go up. And when the mayor is running for re-election or the city wants to host the NCAA tourney or Super Bowl, crime stats amazingly go down. To rely on self reported crime stats and not see the motivation behind the stats is missing a lot. I promise that everything in this comment is coming straight to me from APD officers.
I am not buying that Atlanta was hiding 60% of its murders. Even if your argument is all the stats are politically motivated it doesn't explain the shootings at Lenox Squire and the shootings on the interstate. It doesn't explain all the high profile robberies. There is more than enough evidence to suggest that crime has risen sharply and especially in Buckhead. It certainly isn't on the early 90's level but it's a crisis.

Depends what kind of food you like. To me, the best places in Atlanta right now are Miller Union, BoccaLupo, and Kimball House. Redbird is very good too. Kimball is in Decatur, so may be a little tougher to get to. I would probably do Miller Union or Redbird factoring in their location. Both will have good bars nearby as well.
Appreciate it🤟🏾

Been to Atlanta a few times. Midtown is the best bet. The battery sucks, all gentrification, and pretty far out of the way.

Never felt I needed to really be on my Ps and Qs while out, but there are definitely neighborhoods I would not want to be walking around late night with a couple drinks in me.

Swing into the Clermont Lounge if you have the time.

Advertisement
Back