Off-Topic My ATL People...places to stay for Bama

There are no issues in Atlanta that don't exist in every major city. Lots of flashy money so lots of property crime mostly involving cars. The violent crime is pretty restricted to certain neighborhoods and very easy to avoid unless you are out at 2-4 am and then **** can go down anywhere.

I prosecuted murders and *** crimes in Fulton County from 2000-2005 and I have defended criminal cases since then. Nothing has changed in terms of the crime. My clients are not doing anything different today than they did 15 years ago and they most definitely don't pay attention to any Defund the Police campaigns (which don't exist in Atlanta anyways).

The only real difference is that certain news carriers have a vested interest in promoting the crime story as a political wedge issue so they run the stories over and over again, and eventually some of the sheep believe the stories. But take if from someone on the inside its the same ole same ole.

I don't want to sound like a jerk but I am confident all my ATL brothers and sisters will agree with the following statement. If you are scared to be in Atlanta you are soft as a motherf****r.
Sounds like you have the agenda. The violent crime stats don’t agree with you. It must just be the evil police committing all the crime. But hey, I live in Chicago, so ATL is like Sweden in crime comparison.

Advertisement
Been to Atlanta a few times. Midtown is the best bet. The battery sucks, all gentrification, and pretty far out of the way.

Never felt I needed to really be on my Ps and Qs while out, but there are definitely neighborhoods I would not want to be walking around late night with a couple drinks in me.

Swing into the Clermont Lounge if you have the time.
Great place. Don’t eat beforehand.

Been to Atlanta a few times. Midtown is the best bet. The battery sucks, all gentrification, and pretty far out of the way.

Never felt I needed to really be on my Ps and Qs while out, but there are definitely neighborhoods I would not want to be walking around late night with a couple drinks in me.

Swing into the Clermont Lounge if you have the time.
They actually renovated the hotel above it in the last couple of years. It is really cool now. Great rooftop bar. The restaurant had some turnover in the kitchen during Covid but was great before that.

Curious as to what those of you who frequent the area and/or live in ATL suggest on where to stay. I've been to Atlanta several times but not in the last couple years and never been to a game downtown where the Mercedes-Benz Stadium is/Georgia Dome was.

So, what say y'all? Coming in Friday, leaving Sunday. Airbnb or hotel both on the table, would probably prefer Airbnb but either would work.

Stay downtown close to the stadium? Midtown? Up in Buckhead? Ideally I'd like somewhere to chill somewhat close to the place I'm staying on Friday night (15-20 min Uber is fine) and then of course want to tailgate near the stadium Saturday morning and go somewhere after the game to watch Clemson/UGA.

Thoughts?

My plans for the night after the Baga game...
200w.gif

LOL get murdered... Nah... it aint like that. If your used to big city life its mild. I am a Hilton guy and I live out passed Marietta. We get Hotels downtown a few times a year for events, concerts, etc. And by "we" I mean my wife and 20 yr old kids. I like the Hilton Garden Inn downtown and the Embassy Suites downtown. Centrally located on that side of 75. If I need to head to the other side I Uber. Never had one sketchy problem walking the city but I do stay on the main streets. This aint Nola. That game will have the city flooded with fans at that time.

Advertisement
We are staying in Midtown at the Georgia Tech Hotel and Conference Center. Been a while since I've been to Atlanta. I've seen some good brewery and restaurant recommendation in this thread already, but are there any specific to the Midtown area?

We are staying in Midtown at the Georgia Tech Hotel and Conference Center. Been a while since I've been to Atlanta. I've seen some good brewery and restaurant recommendation in this thread already, but are there any specific to the Midtown area?
Walking distance - Cypress Pint and Plate (bar food), Lyla Lila (Italian), El Vinedo (coffee shop, empanadas), Coda (food hall), Empire State South (Southern), Joy Cafe (breakfast)
Short drive or Uber - Antico Pizza, Monday Night Brewing, Miller Union, Forza Storico, JCT Kitchen, Redbird, Das BBQ.

I am not buying that Atlanta was hiding 60% of its murders. Even if your argument is all the stats are politically motivated it doesn't explain the shootings at Lenox Squire and the shootings on the interstate. It doesn't explain all the high profile robberies. There is more than enough evidence to suggest that crime has risen sharply and especially in Buckhead. It certainly isn't on the early 90's level but it's a crisis.
I agree with some of your comments. I don’t go to Lenox Mall in the evenings and have advised my kids to also not go at night. But I’ve been not going to Lenox at night for 20 years.
But my point about stats is that they are too easily manipulated by one side or the other. And crime stats in every city are manipulated by both sides. But I also agree that big jumps are noteworthy and likely the product of more than just political manipulation.
I just don’t think any of this makes Atlanta a “dangerous” city. Keep in mind that the 2 places I have lived outside Atlanta are Detroit (really a suburb) thru high school and Miami. ATL still looks pretty soft compared to those 2 cities, especially Detroit.

Advertisement
Walking distance - Cypress Pint and Plate (bar food), Lyla Lila (Italian), El Vinedo (coffee shop, empanadas), Coda (food hall), Empire State South (Southern), Joy Cafe (breakfast)
Short drive or Uber - Antico Pizza, Monday Night Brewing, Miller Union, Forza Storico, JCT Kitchen, Redbird, Das BBQ.
Thanks for all the recommendations. I've seen you mention both Das BBQ and Fox Bros BBQ. I had heard of Fox Bros before. Which would you say is better?

I agree with some of your comments. I don’t go to Lenox Mall in the evenings and have advised my kids to also not go at night. But I’ve been not going to Lenox at night for 20 years.
But my point about stats is that they are too easily manipulated by one side or the other. And crime stats in every city are manipulated by both sides. But I also agree that big jumps are noteworthy and likely the product of more than just political manipulation.
I just don’t think any of this makes Atlanta a “dangerous” city. Keep in mind that the 2 places I have lived outside Atlanta are Detroit (really a suburb) thru high school and Miami. ATL still looks pretty soft compared to those 2 cities, especially Detroit.
I agree with your comments and perhaps I was a little aggressive. I just don't people to expect Atlanta to be the same city they visited a few years ago.

Thanks for all the recommendations. I've seen you mention both Das BBQ and Fox Bros BBQ. I had heard of Fox Bros before. Which would you say is better?
Depends kind of what you’re looking for. Fox is sit down and has a bigger menu. You can walk from there to Wrecking Bar brewpub and the Porter Beer Bar (1a/1b best beer bar in the city) in 10 min and have a nice little day. It’s pretty good, though the wait is longer than the quality.

The brisket at Das is the best in Atlanta. Proper Texas BBQ. But it’s counter service and there isn’t much else walking.

Woods Chapel is also pretty good and just opened in Krog Market, which is on the beltline and you can bar hop walking along there.

Depends kind of what you’re looking for. Fox is sit down and has a bigger menu. You can walk from there to Wrecking Bar brewpub and the Porter Beer Bar (1a/1b best beer bar in the city) in 10 min and have a nice little day. It’s pretty good, though the wait is longer than the quality.

The brisket at Das is the best in Atlanta. Proper Texas BBQ. But it’s counter service and there isn’t much else walking.

Woods Chapel is also pretty good and just opened in Krog Market, which is on the beltline and you can bar hop walking along there.
Thanks. Might end up doing Fox bros then. Knocks out two birds with one stone because I definitely wanted to check out Porter Beer Bar. My only hesitation is I saw they sell Fox Bros in Mercedes Benz stadium, so I was wondering just how good it really is if they’re mass producing it like that.

Advertisement
Thanks. Might end up doing Fox bros then. Knocks out two birds with one stone because I definitely wanted to check out Porter Beer Bar. My only hesitation is I saw they sell Fox Bros in Mercedes Benz stadium, so I was wondering just how good it really is if they’re mass producing it like that.
It’s good, not great. But I think given the location and other stuff, that’s a good move. Definitely stop at Wrecking Bar on the way. Their hazy IPAs are excellent, as are their classic styles. The Porter is amazing. Their food is equal to their beer list too.

I bought tickets to the game, so thanks to many of you for suggestions, and perhaps there will be a CIS gathering one evening. Re crime, I have several friends and clients in Atlanta, and the stories they tell me are shocking, I guess the mayor is a de Blasio clone.

Advertisement
I bought tickets to the game, so thanks to many of you for suggestions, and perhaps there will be a CIS gathering one evening. Re crime, I have several friends and clients in Atlanta, and the stories they tell me are shocking, I guess the mayor is a de Blasio clone.
She is useless. She gave a few good speeches last summer and was sure she was getting a seat on Biden’s cabinet or at least a high level nomination of some sort. Then he offered her the Bahamas Consulate, which is essentially a retirement post. Then she pretty much checked out. So now we are going to elect her mentor, Kasim Reed, who was thisshort of a fraud indictment to a third term. It’s great.

Anyhow, welcome to Atlanta. Hope we can meet and grab a drink at some point over the weekend. Happy to offer restaurant recs if needed.

Advertisement
Back