Musings on why so few Miami players have entered the portal

I’m sure it’s mainly that most of the kids who are leaving have gone to SMU which is fine because Rhett is a good man and a good coach but is that a better option or do you just wait until your senior RS season to try and leave and find a spot for one last year.

Advertisement
I knew a guy who played at Miami in the late 90’s/early 2000’s but only saw the field during blowouts. He stayed for five years and got a valuable education because he knew he wasn’t NFL material and transferring to a lesser program just to get more playing time wouldn’t matter in the big picture.

Smart man.

I'm pretty sure this is correct.

3 QBs, 5 RBs, 9 WRs, 6 TEs, 17 OLs, 16 DLs, 10 LBs, 14 DBs, 1 K, 1 P, 1 LS for a total of 83 scholarship players.

So yeah, unless more guys leave, I would not expect much movement. I can only think of a few players that would logically enter the portal at this point.

Advertisement
newsflash, were going 6 and 6 this year with a QB who has regressed and is money hungry. he was just as money hungry last year when he was mad and his dad was yapping at the country club all about it.
Cool Starry Bra.jpg

I would imagine teams will think about (at least) moving their Spring timeline closer to end of portal window to discourage their players an opportunity from leaving after a "Spring disappointment".

Problem is this is a sugar high as more and more teams follow suit...so then we are left with TP prior to your Spring camp or NCAA moves TP window farther to right on calendar.
I wonder if the allure of the portal will lessen except for the high 💲 free agents and those that haven't figured it out yet

Let’s be honest. Most of these transfers that land elsewhere have been back channeled and they know they are wanted. As a scholarship athlete, if you are hearing crickets, best stay put. Matocha, as one example, likely wasn’t getting back channeled. So smart move by the kid.

Advertisement
I expected another wave of transfers out from this team. But so far just Brantley and Ishmael since the big exodus following last season. I can think of several players along the OL and DL I thought would hit the portal, as well as a handful of kids from the back seven on defense. Not sure what to make of that.

From the staff perspective, I can see why having too much turnover, even if it's to clean house, can disrupt the team. And even though 2K kids have hit the portal, most aren't that good. Picking up a player that improves the team is really hard, especially since they still need to prioritize bringing in a handful of starters. So as long as they're at or below 85, why push a kid out.

But from the players perspective, do they actually believe they can earn their way into starting roles? Or like Peyton Matocha, have they accepted that they'll be relegated to the practice squad, may not travel on away games, and will play sparingly at best? Or is it because there are so many players in the portal they know they'll end up at North Dakota State vs graduating with an all-expenses paid degree from Miami.

I probably answered my own question. Just still pretty surprising to me given so many other programs have flipped half their roster.
We really can’t afford to lose anyone in the back 7 or dl imo

The only position group that needs trimming is ol.

Advertisement
When we go 5-7 with losses to Middle Tennessee State and Duke, and a complete ungluing to our arch rivals in Trailerhassee, when both coordinators and several other staff members are replaced, and we have a second year coach who has publicly stated multiple times that the talent still isn't there ... I expected more
The road to disappointment is paved by expectations!

Advertisement
Aside from Darrell Jackson the guys that transferred out weren’t stars. They went down instead of up. That probably has something to do with it.

Probably a good sign we haven’t really seen anyone new jump in post spring. For me, it’s means Mario is “comfortable” with the guys he has on the team because he did allude to the fact that some guys wouldn’t be invited back during the season last year

Advertisement
Back