Musings on why so few Miami players have entered the portal

grover

Senior
Premium
I expected another wave of transfers out from this team. But so far just Brantley and Ishmael since the big exodus following last season. I can think of several players along the OL and DL I thought would hit the portal, as well as a handful of kids from the back seven on defense. Not sure what to make of that.

From the staff perspective, I can see why having too much turnover, even if it's to clean house, can disrupt the team. And even though 2K kids have hit the portal, most aren't that good. Picking up a player that improves the team is really hard, especially since they still need to prioritize bringing in a handful of starters. So as long as they're at or below 85, why push a kid out.

But from the players perspective, do they actually believe they can earn their way into starting roles? Or like Peyton Matocha, have they accepted that they'll be relegated to the practice squad, may not travel on away games, and will play sparingly at best? Or is it because there are so many players in the portal they know they'll end up at North Dakota State vs graduating with an all-expenses paid degree from Miami.

I probably answered my own question. Just still pretty surprising to me given so many other programs have flipped half their roster.

Advertisement
didnt we lose like 40 guys to graduation and portal? how many more do you want?

When we go 5-7 with losses to Middle Tennessee State and Duke, and a complete ungluing to our arch rivals in Trailerhassee, when both coordinators and several other staff members are replaced, and we have a second year coach who has publicly stated multiple times that the talent still isn't there ... I expected more

Every year dozens of players enter the portal and never end up at a new school. Some guys are ok with not being a starter and enjoy the P5 experience at an expensive private school in Miami vs getting playing time at an FCS school in Arkansas.

I knew a guy who played at Miami in the late 90’s/early 2000’s but only saw the field during blowouts. He stayed for five years and got a valuable education because he knew he wasn’t NFL material and transferring to a lesser program just to get more playing time wouldn’t matter in the big picture.

Advertisement
I expected another wave of transfers out from this team. But so far just Brantley and Ishmael since the big exodus following last season. I can think of several players along the OL and DL I thought would hit the portal, as well as a handful of kids from the back seven on defense. Not sure what to make of that.

From the staff perspective, I can see why having too much turnover, even if it's to clean house, can disrupt the team. And even though 2K kids have hit the portal, most aren't that good. Picking up a player that improves the team is really hard, especially since they still need to prioritize bringing in a handful of starters. So as long as they're at or below 85, why push a kid out.

But from the players perspective, do they actually believe they can earn their way into starting roles? Or like Peyton Matocha, have they accepted that they'll be relegated to the practice squad, may not travel on away games, and will play sparingly at best? Or is it because there are so many players in the portal they know they'll end up at North Dakota State vs graduating with an all-expenses paid degree from Miami.

I probably answered my own question. Just still pretty surprising to me given so many other programs have flipped half their roster.
Some will eventually accept the fact that they are 3rd teamers and stay. Free education, room and board. Get that Miami degree. And yeah, it's gotta be miserable living near North Dakota State 🙄

When we go 5-7 with losses to Middle Tennessee State and Duke, and a complete ungluing to our arch rivals in Trailerhassee, when both coordinators and several other staff members are replaced, and we have a second year coach who has publicly stated multiple times that the talent still isn't there ... I expected more
newsflash, were going 6 and 6 this year with a QB who has regressed and is money hungry. he was just as money hungry last year when he was mad and his dad was yapping at the country club all about it.

Is Mario breaking the "[Insert Miami Corch here] has lost the locker room]?

My fave was when Richt suspended Sambourghini and the douchest amongst the board lost their minds.

🤣🤣🤣

He found the locker room? I thought it left after he coached not to lose against A&M…

Advertisement

Between graduation and the portal we have attritted around 60 players following the conclusion of the 2021 season.

I wonder if Mario has a 'if you enter the portal and there is no coming back policy.' Or maybe it is a 'if you're looking, we're looking' policy and your spot may be taken.

Advertisement
Great topic. As we stand - we are a mid tier program. If players leave they sure as **** better have some good game film. As a player - are you gonna leave and transfer to a (worse) school and lose more games just to start and get more playing time? Or fight it out and push your way into the starting lineup?

Honestly - how many guys that transferred out did you really say “I wish we had that guy.”

I would imagine teams will think about (at least) moving their Spring timeline closer to end of portal window to discourage their players an opportunity from leaving after a "Spring disappointment".

Problem is this is a sugar high as more and more teams follow suit...so then we are left with TP prior to your Spring camp or NCAA moves TP window farther to right on calendar.

Advertisement

What references they gonna tout? Our 2022 season?

emergency maintenance GIF

Case dependent, really. If you take a player who enrolled early and is entering his 3rd year, he might only be 2-3 semesters from graduating by this point and doesn't want to get killed on transfer credits if he goes elsewhere. Someone in that scenario can start on Master's degree or if they really want to play leave as a grad transfer with degree in hand already. By that point you can have a pretty good idea that playing on Sunday probably isn't in your future and start cultivating connections while still here and on good terms.

I know this is going back decades now, but part of the appeal of playing basketball at North Carolina way back when was that if you stayed and graduated, if you weren't going to play pro ball Dean Smith knew everybody in North Carolina and you would have excellent prospects of being taken care of after graduation as long as you "played the game."

Advertisement
Back