Mt Rushmore of SFla high school coaches

Nice #7 post , his son was one of the best unknown players at Miami a tremendous clutch receiver #43.
I have no problem putting #43 on team any time, one of huge mistakes opponents did was take him for granted.

Joe Brodsky #43 one of the best ever at the U

GOCANES

this.

Advertisement
Why'd he slip so badly at Cypress, big fella? Seemed like he was on his way to building that up to a power the first couple years, then they disappeared.

Well the school is in Weston...and around that time American Heritage opened up their recruiting tactics and that diluted an already terrible football pool out that way.

I think after the first wave of his kids left..that was it

For example Nesta Silvera and his brother played at Cypress Bay b4 transferring to Heritage.

Most of the western area schools of Broward County arent having alot of talent coming in based off of demographics.

Advertisement
His 1991 and 1993 teams were amazing. The 91 team drew the state title 22-22 with Evans.

Played on Columbus against that team my Junior year. We lost 42-10 I believe. Lamont Green was a man amongst boys. I remember hitting him on a Kickoff return it was like running into a steel reinforced wall.

Funny enough he teaches at my sons school now.

The most common bahamian name...its the DIAZ, GONZALEZ of the Bahamas
Actually, a very long history that started in Florida....

Denys Rolle, English plantation owner established what was known as Rollestown near what is now Palatka. When British ceded that territory to Spain after Treaty of Versailles, he moved everything from Florida to Exuma in Bahamas. When his slaves were freed, many took the surname Rolle.

i think this first article might be wrong, because I have read that Denys Rolle moved his slaves to the Bahamas not that they moved themselves when he purportedly went back to England. He apparently set up shop in Exuma, taking his slaves with him.

https://www.ghosttowns.com/states/fl/rollestown.html

Here are some articles on Denys Rolle’s son, Jonathan, who was apparently upset at having to pay to feed his inherited slaves after they were emancipated by the British government. (Although he is said to have not favored slavery—I know, still not an excuse.)

http://exuma.online/culture/exuma-history-john-rolle/

Actually, a very long history that started in Florida....

Denys Rolle, English plantation owner established what was known as Rollestown near what is now Palatka. When British ceded that territory to Spain after Treaty of Versailles, he moved everything from Florida to Exuma in Bahamas. When his slaves were freed, many took the surname Rolle.

i think this first article might be wrong, because I have read that Denys Rolle moved his slaves to the Bahamas not that they moved themselves when he purportedly went back to England. He apparently set up shop in Exuma, taking his slaves with him.

https://www.ghosttowns.com/states/fl/rollestown.html

Here are some articles on Denys Rolle’s son, Jonathan, who was apparently upset at having to pay to feed his inherited slaves after they were emancipated by the British government. (Although he is said to have not favored slavery—I know, still not an excuse.)

http://exuma.online/culture/exuma-history-john-rolle/

I'm Bahamian i know the history. He moved his slaves to Exuma. Its Rolleville and Rolletown there.

Advertisement
Won 4 states titles with 3 different teams & a National, plus had over 170 career W's.

My mf'in coach! He's coaching at FAMU now, I would 100% hire him here in some capacity if I was Diaz.

His 2014 Coral Reef team was one of the worst coached squads I've ever played against. The state titles are admirable and all, but without a roster full of D1 talent he went 2-8 and let Cooper City blow him out.

Last edited:
Guandolo deserves to be up there. His teams were always the best coached squads I faced year in and year out. He was able to take Cypress Bay to a state championship. If the Weston parents didn't start complaining about all of their sons sitting the bench then he might still be there winning games. Him and his principal were untouchable. An administrator at a rival school found out that Cypress had 6 inner city kids living at the same address in Weston. Took those findings (with proof) to the BCAA and they STILL didn't do anything. It wasn't until the community started complaining about all the brothers on the team that Coach G finally got some heat.
He would easily win multiple state championships at one of these talented inner city schools.

You probably gotta put Ice, George Smith and Rolle up there based on resumes...although I think Smith and Rolle are mediocre without rosters full of D1 talent. At least Guandolo I know would win a good amount of games regardless of what school he was at. He could put together winning seasons at Cooper City, Douglas, etc. I can't say the same for Smith or Rolle. They wouldn't know WTF to do if they had to coach those kids.
STA had plenty of under-achieving games/seasons under Smith.

Advertisement
Guandolo deserves to be up there. His teams were always the best coached squads I faced year in and year out. He was able to take Cypress Bay to a state championship. If the Weston parents didn't start complaining about all of their sons sitting the bench then he might still be there winning games. Him and his principal were untouchable. An administrator at a rival school found out that Cypress had 6 inner city kids living at the same address in Weston. Took those findings (with proof) to the BCAA and they STILL didn't do anything. It wasn't until the community started complaining about all the brothers on the team that Coach G finally got some heat.
He would easily win multiple state championships at one of these talented inner city schools.

You probably gotta put Ice, George Smith and Rolle up there based on resumes...although I think Smith and Rolle are mediocre without rosters full of D1 talent. At least Guandolo I know would win a good amount of games regardless of what school he was at. He could put together winning seasons at Cooper City, Douglas, etc. I can't say the same for Smith or Rolle. They wouldn't know WTF to do if they had to coach those kids.
STA had plenty of under-achieving games/seasons under Smith.

All fair points.

Roger Coffey? LOL!

All joking aside my top 4 are "Traz" Powell, Nick Kotys, George Smith and Walt Frazier.
Ol' Coach Coffey, my 1st varsity HC. Dude had a Ferrari at Central but couldn't read the owner's manual because it was in Italian. We had hella talent, just couldn't get right...

Advertisement
They should separate private from public leagues...
They should separate **** teams for good teams. Force more even matchups. Teams shouldn't lose by 50 one week and win by 50 the next. Somerset vs Flanagan, STA vs Deerfield Beach, Columbus vs Palmetto, Central vs Carol City. Fewer Chaminade vs St. Mary's School for the Deaf and Blind, Northwestern vs Hialeah Miami-Lakes. It's easier now than ever to build schedules with teams of similar ability. The top teams don't want to play each other and risk recruiting just like college teams.

His 2014 Coral Reef team was one of the worst coached squads I've ever played against. The state titles are admirable and all, but without a roster full of D1 talent he went 2-8 and let Cooper City blow him out.
It's Coral Reef for God sakes, who TF is winning at Coral Reef???

So disregard the rest of his career because he couldn't win at Coral Reef?

Advertisement
Back