Mt Rushmore of SFla high school coaches

The guy before him won 6 games at Coral Reef. *shrug*
You saying Coral Reef shouldn't beat Cooper City?
Who gives a shìt about Coral Reef...

He's a good coach, the qualifier of playing with only D1 talent is irrelevant.

Has Coach Glenn won a state title with all that D1/NFL talent at Deerfield?

It's High school football, it's not his fault he so happens to coach in city with lots of good players, the fact he won 4 state titles on 3 different teams shows he knows what he's doing, not every coach in South FL can or has done that despite whatever talent they may have had.

You're being unfair because of some personal issue you got with Coach Rolle, but to act as if he's not a good coach just because he didn't win at Coral Reef is dumb. He wasn't even at Reef for that long so why disregard the other 170 W's he has to just focus on a short stint at Coral ****** Reef??

Advertisement
They should separate **** teams for good teams. Force more even matchups. Teams shouldn't lose by 50 one week and win by 50 the next. Somerset vs Flanagan, STA vs Deerfield Beach, Columbus vs Palmetto, Central vs Carol City. Fewer Chaminade vs St. Mary's School for the Deaf and Blind, Northwestern vs Hialeah Miami-Lakes. It's easier now than ever to build schedules with teams of similar ability. The top teams don't want to play each other and risk recruiting just like college teams.

I don't know, I see a lot of the top teams playing each other every year.
The districts are the districts, there's not much we can do about that. If a crappy team is in your district you have to play them. The key is, what out-of-district teams are you scheduling?

Who gives a shìt about Coral Reef...

He's a good coach, the qualifier of playing with only D1 talent is irrelevant.

Has Coach Glenn won a state title with all that D1/NFL talent at Deerfield?

It's High school football, it's not his fault he so happens to coach in city with lots of good players, the fact he won 4 state titles on 3 different teams shows he knows what he's doing, not every coach in South FL can or has done that despite whatever talent they may have had.

You're being unfair because of some personal issue you got with Coach Rolle, but to act as if he's not a good coach just because he didn't win at Coral Reef is dumb. He wasn't even at Reef for that long so why disregard the other 170 W's he has to just focus on a short stint at Coral ****** Reef??
I have zero personal issues with that man. Relax homeboy.

I fvckin' played/coached against a Billy Rolle team. I'm telling you it was one of the worst coached, least organized dumpster fire I've ever seen.

I give 2 fvcks what school you're at. Bad coaching looks like bad coaching. You don't need a team full of D1 kids to display good coaching.
You don't need wins/losses to see it. All I gotta do is look at the scheme, way the kids play and the organization. Nothing about the 5-2 Cover-1 optimist league defense says "stellar coaching".

"hE wAs At CoRaL rEeF."
The fvck does that matter? LOL. They won 6 games the year before!

I have zero personal issues with that man. Relax homeboy.

I fvckin' played/coached against a Billy Rolle team. I'm telling you it was one of the worst coached, least organized dumpster fire I've ever seen.

I give 2 fvcks what school you're at. Bad coaching looks like bad coaching. You don't need a team full of D1 kids to display good coaching.
You don't need wins/losses to see it. All I gotta do is look at the scheme, way the kids play and the organization. Nothing about the 5-2 Cover-1 optimist league defense says "stellar coaching".

"hE wAs At CoRaL rEeF."
The fvck does that matter? LOL. They won 6 games the year before!
They won 6 games!!! I guess that means they were a juggernaut before he got there...

He's the only Coach in South FL to ever win multiple state titles on 3 different teams, he won a state title at Killian, literally the only State championship they've ever won, but because he had a bad team at a school that nobody ever wins at he's all of the sudden not a good coach???

Whatever you say bruh smh lol.

Guandolo deserves to be up there. His teams were always the best coached squads I faced year in and year out. He was able to take Cypress Bay to a state championship. If the Weston parents didn't start complaining about all of their sons sitting the bench then he might still be there winning games. Him and his principal were untouchable. An administrator at a rival school found out that Cypress had 6 inner city kids living at the same address in Weston. Took those findings (with proof) to the BCAA and they STILL didn't do anything. It wasn't until the community started complaining about all the brothers on the team that Coach G finally got some heat.
He would easily win multiple state championships at one of these talented inner city schools.

You probably gotta put Ice, George Smith and Rolle up there based on resumes...although I think Smith and Rolle are mediocre without rosters full of D1 talent. At least Guandolo I know would win a good amount of games regardless of what school he was at. He could put together winning seasons at Cooper City, Douglas, etc. I can't say the same for Smith or Rolle. They wouldn't know WTF to do if they had to coach those kids.
STA had plenty of under-achieving games/seasons under Smith.
My boy who coaches in Broward has long claimed the same. Told me the story about the kids with the same address as well (didn't know it was 6 tho). Apparently, that same kind of community anger is one of the things that hit U-School as well.

I'm probably biased since I've known him for years, but Smitty would do well at non-powerhouse schools. He has the ability to simplify concepts and tailor his schemes to his personnel. I doubt he'd win championships at some of these places, but the on-field product would substantially improve at any school he goes to.

Advertisement
I don't know, I see a lot of the top teams playing each other every year.
The districts are the districts, there's not much we can do about that. If a crappy team is in your district you have to play them. The key is, what out-of-district teams are you scheduling?
The fact that you notice when the uncommon matchups between top teams occur shows the issue. Matchups between top teams should be the norm.

I reject the entire district/region/classification setup as a whole. It is archaic and a major cause of mismatches. FHSAA and BCAA scheduling cause this. My issue is that many games aren't competitive. You have teams winning and losing by 4TDs all year long. It is a snore.

I'll single out DFB since you coach there and can give insight. Looking at Maxpreps from last season,

Carol City-12 point loss Good Matchup
St. John's-out of state, can be hard to predict matchups, looks like they got up on you early, i like the out of state games
Blanche Ely-42 point difference in score, terrible matchup, is this a rivalry, BCAA req, or something?
Zachary-another our of state, similar to st johns, but a win
Oak Ridge-team is in Orlando, 42 point win, terrible matchup
Boca Raton-43 point win, terrible matchup, forced district game
Spanish River- 64 point win, terrible matchup, forced district game
STA-21 point loss, a decent matchup, not a complete mismatch like other games
Monarch-41 point win, terrible matchup, forced district game
Hallandale-30 point win, bad matchup

Playoffs are another issue itself.

Last edited:
They won 6 games!!! I guess that means they were a juggernaut before he got there...

He's the only Coach in South FL to ever win multiple state titles on 3 different teams, he won a state title at Killian, literally the only State championship they've ever won, but because he had a bad team at a school that nobody ever wins at he's all of the sudden not a good coach???

Whatever you say bruh smh lol.

A school nobody ever wins at? Before Rolle got there the previous coach went 6-4 three times and 9-3 once. They had a respectable pulse.
Bruh I'm telling you WHAT I SAW WITH MY OWN EYES THAT PARTICULAR FRIDAY NIGHT.

That junkyard **** they were doing at Coral Reef got by at his previous schools. At Coral Reef it had him getting blown out by Cooper City.
If you're a good coach it literally doesn't matter what school you're at, you'll win games. You may not win states, but you'll beat who you're supposed to beat and you'll have a winning record. You'll have a pulse, be competitive and LOOK like a well coached team.
For crying out loud, I know somebody who's won at Western, Coral Springs, Bradenton Southeast and is now winning at Lakewood fvckin' Ranch...all of which were dumpster fires prior to him getting there.

You just feel some type of way because that's "your coach".

A school nobody ever wins at? Before Rolle got there the previous coach went 6-4 three times and 9-3 once. They had a respectable pulse.
Bruh I'm telling you WHAT I SAW WITH MY OWN EYES THAT PARTICULAR FRIDAY NIGHT.

That junkyard **** they were doing at Coral Reef got by at his previous schools. At Coral Reef it had him getting blown out by Cooper City.
If you're a good coach it literally doesn't matter what school you're at, you'll win games. You may not win states, but you'll beat who you're supposed to beat and you'll have a winning record. You'll have a pulse, be competitive and LOOK like a well coached team.
For crying out loud, I know somebody who's won at Western, Coral Springs, Bradenton Southeast and is now winning at Lakewood fvckin' Ranch...all of which were dumpster fires prior to him getting there.

You just feel some type of way because that's "your coach".
I don't feel no type of way, I'm just not about to act like Billy Rolle ain't one of the greatest coaches in South FL high school football history, because he is.

That man won 4 state championships & a National title & was the Defensive Coordinator for another State title, along with winning over 170 ball games in his career. No one cares about Coral Reef, literally not one person lol.

He was great whether you agree with it or not, you can put all your focus on Coral Reef but that doesn't erase everything else he accomplished. You can fight with the numbers if you like, but his career as a HS coach is undeniable.

Advertisement
My boy who coaches in Broward has long claimed the same. Told me the story about the kids with the same address as well (didn't know it was 6 tho). Apparently, that same kind of community anger is one of the things that hit U-School as well.

I'm probably biased since I've known him for years, but Smitty would do well at non-powerhouse schools. He has the ability to simplify concepts and tailor his schemes to his personnel. I doubt he'd win championships at some of these places, but the on-field product would substantially improve at any school he goes to.

Yeah U-School was the same issue. In typical Harriott fashion he had to LOAD the squad with recruited kids. It just became too much. Parents were trippin' that the whole team was brothers from different neighborhoods, their sons weren't seeing any playing time, the city kids were running the hallways, bangin' their daughters, etc etc etc.

Those schools one day decided that they wanted to win at football, so they made certain hires. After a few years they decided that maybe football isn't THAT important. They wanted to win state championships but didn't quite understand what else that entailed, and it bit them in the a$$.
Once their schools got a little more colorful it made them uncomfortable.

I don't feel no type of way, I'm just not about to act like Billy Rolle ain't one of the greatest coaches in South FL high school football history, because he is.

That man won 4 state championships & a National title & was the Defensive Coordinator for another State title, along with winning over 170 ball games in his career. No one cares about Coral Reef, literally not one person lol.

He was great whether you agree with it or not, you can put all your focus on Coral Reef but that doesn't erase everything else he accomplished. You can fight with the numbers if you like, but his career as a HS coach is undeniable.
You right.

The fact that you notice when the uncommon matchups between top teams occuring shows the issue. Matchups between top teams should be the norm.

I reject the entire district/region/classification setup as a whole. It is archaic and a major cause of mismatches. FHSAA and BCAA scheduling cause this. My issue is that many games aren't competitive. You have teams winning and losing by 4TDs all year long. It is a snore.

I'll single out DFB since you coach there and can give insight. Looking at Maxpreps from last season,

Carol City-12 point loss Good Matchup
St. John's-out of state, can be hard to predict matchups, looks like they got up on you early, i like the out of state games
Blanche Ely-42 point difference in score, terrible matchup, is this a rivalry, BCAA req, or something?
Zachary-another our of state, similar to st johns, but a win
Oak Ridge-team is in Orlando, 42 point win, terrible matchup
Boca Raton-43 point win, terrible matchup, forced district game
Spanish River- 64 point win, terrible matchup, forced district game
STA-21 point loss, a decent matchup, not a complete mismatch like other games
Monarch-41 point win, terrible matchup, forced district game
Hallandale-30 point win, bad matchup

Playoffs are another issue itself.

I get what you're saying, and that's specifically why our HC tries to put together a competitive out-of-district schedule.
This year we've got Miami Central, STA, St. John Boscoe (Cali) and another out-of-state team.

Ely we play every year. It's a cross-town rivalry.

But there's only so many good teams. How do you want them all to play each other?
We'd all beat each other to death while schools like Piper would end up with a 8-2 record every year playing other cupcakes. Then they'd get to the playoffs and get beat 35-0 in the first round.
See Dillard last season for an example.

In Broward you've got...
STA
Western
American Heritage
Deerfield
Chaminade
Cardinal Gibbons
Dillard?
McArthur?

Who else is any good?

You want all of them to play each other yearly while schools like Nova, Cooper City, Cypress Bay and Monarch play each other?
I don't know man, all I see is a bunch of elite teams beating the crap out of each other while a bunch of sorry teams finish with good records.

And with the way the landscape changes every couple years, I don't even know how you'd do this.
Ely (for example) might be trash one year, but then they get the right coach, a bunch of transfers come in, and now they're good all of a sudden. So now you gotta put them in that "elite/good" pool?

And what happens to district championships? You throw those out?

Advertisement
I get what you're saying, and that's specifically why our HC tries to put together a competitive out-of-district schedule.
This year we've got Miami Central, STA, St. John Boscoe (Cali) and another out-of-state team.

Ely we play every year. It's a cross-town rivalry.

But there's only so many good teams. How do you want them all to play each other?
We'd all beat each other to death while schools like Piper would end up with a 8-2 record every year playing other cupcakes. Then they'd get to the playoffs and get beat 35-0 in the first round.
See Dillard last season for an example.

In Broward you've got...
STA
Western
American Heritage
Deerfield
Chaminade
Cardinal Gibbons
Dillard?
McArthur?

Who else is any good?

You want all of them to play each other yearly while schools like Nova, Cooper City, Cypress Bay and Monarch play each other?
I don't know man, all I see is a bunch of elite teams beating the crap out of each other while a bunch of sorry teams finish with good records.

And with the way the landscape changes every couple years, I don't even know how you'd do this.
Ely (for example) might be trash one year, but then they get the right coach, a bunch of transfers come in, and now they're good all of a sudden. So now you gotta put them in that "elite/good" pool?

And what happens to district championships? You throw those out?
Limiting teams to just the county is too low. The regions used by the small schools are a better estimate of the area required. The district championships have already been thrown out of the small schools.

A competitive tier system with promotion and relegation discourages "microwave" teams built by coaches and players changing teams that is so common down here. The microwave team needs to win their way out, which they do quickly.

The system requires a preseason rating based upon the previous season, an updated early season rating based upon the first set of games.
An updated mid-season rating based upon the rest of the regular season, to seed the playoffs.
A playoff tournament containing 8 teams instead of 16/32 and two additional regular season games are played for all teams.

What ends up happening in this type of system is the middle 80% or so of teams finish with a record between 5-7 and 7-5, middle 95% between 4-8 and 8-4 with the goal of most teams finishing around 0.500. You get more competitive games, while also selecting for the top teams. Bad teams are relegated and good teams are promoted. You can still keep the playoffs going for the upper tier teams at different cutoffs. Ex. Tier 1 is 1-16, tier 2 is 17-32, tier 3 is 33-48, tier 4 is 49-64, etc. to wherever people want the cutoff. Teams are encouraged to seek out top competition and can't take weeks off. There are two values that go into a teams score. One is the average score and the other is the confidence interval of the average score. The more games a team plays, the more the confidence interval narrows. The mid-low tier teams you mentioned would have around a 7-5 record at tier 12 or so. It doesn't have the same prestige as 5-7 at tier 3. It also makes HS player evaluations easier for colleges because there is a standard the games are measured against. The playoff system is flexible.

Systems like this are already executed in other fields. The biggest obstacle I see is getting people to understand it and/or trust it. If there is anything I didn't explain well/need to go into more detail on let me know.

Advertisement
Back