Mt Rushmore of Canes Safeties

Blades, Reed and Taylor (alphabetically and chronologically) all belong at the top.

But who would be the fourth?

Went to HS with Earl Little so he has always been one of my favorites. I was also a big Tremain Mack fan.

But the 3 you listed stand above the rest!!

Advertisement
Was Bubba McDowell a safety or corner? He was very good and played for several years for Houston Oilers.

Advertisement
Advertisement
How about Rushmore of QBs? lets see, we have 5 NC qbs, plus Heisman winner Vinny and Kelly. Geno has to be one with NC and The Trophy but we can't even cover our NC QBs. Those three great safeties make it hard to put a forth up there but QBs, or RBs too I guess both need more than one mountain. WR, would be easy... hum maybe note. Okay, Dline, that's it oh maybe not. TE's? nah. Okay we just have too many great players.

How about Rushmore of QBs? lets see, we have 5 NC qbs, plus Heisman winner Vinny and Kelly. Geno has to be one with NC and The Trophy but we can't even cover our NC QBs. Those three great safeties make it hard to put a forth up there but QBs, or RBs too I guess both need more than one mountain. WR, would be easy... hum maybe note. Okay, Dline, that's it oh maybe not. TE's? nah. Okay we just have too many great players.

QB: Kelly / Kosar / Torretta / Dorsey

RB: Anderson / McGuire / James / McGahee

WR: E. Brown / Irving / Wayne / Johnson

TE: Smith / Franks / Shockey / Winslow

Williams/Marion.
Their careers and stats are very similar.
Although Marion's '81 D was solid, Williams had the advantage of playing with a great defense.

If I had to choose, give me the sentimental favorite in Marion.
The fact that he was from gator country is a bonus.

Torretta out/ Walsh in IMO.
Record:
GT 23-1, SW 23-1
Ranked Teams Faced
GT 9, SW 12
Record vs Top-10
GT 6-1, SW 8-1
Record vs #1
GT 1-0, SW 2-0
Comp %
GT 56%, SW 59%
Yards
GT 6155, SW 5364
TD's
GT 39, SW 49
INT's
GT 15, SW 19

If we're weighing Natty's, keep Dorsey in.

Advertisement
Bolden will give us one year and then he is out.

U could be right. And, to be honest, I think it’s win/win.

If he gives us 1 great year-balls out big time and is worthy of nfl draft status, that would mean he probably contributed to our defense having a pretty good year. WIN.

If he stays 2...that means we get the guy roaming the secondary for 2 years! Win.

Advertisement
those 2 B.Merriweather and K.Phillips ran thru my mind
I was born in 92 and Merriweather, Phillips, Jaquan, Reed and Taylor were all during my time. I know Blades was a stud but anyone else mentioned on here I wasn’t around to watch.

4th is Darryl Williams hands down.

But my dispute is with everyone routinely placing Kenny Phillips over Meriweather.

Meriweather had a much better pro career than Phillips & his Junior season was the best we had from any Safety since Sean Taylor. Meriweather is way too underrated by this fanbase.

True on Meriweather, but **** that WVU... 🤦‍♂️

I was born in 92 and Merriweather, Phillips, Jaquan, Reed and Taylor were all during my time. I know Blades was a stud but anyone else mentioned on here I wasn’t around to watch.
Daryl Wiliams had greta pro career as well and very solid UM days as well.....lot of tough calls but original 3 mentioned
are best .... my order S.Taylor E.Reed,.B.Blades

Advertisement
Back