MR offense at GA

I think the biggest issue right now is (based only on my opinion and a modicum of research of course) what Richt is running and what Richt might WANT to run are at odds. There's no doubt that he's getting the absolute most out of Rosier - warts and all - but he's doing it by severely limiting the offense to play to Malik's strengths. Malik is a one-read QB right now, and he's got the arm to put it where it needs to be, hence all those passes into tight spots. He also often processes information a tick slow (passes thrown late, behind, or not at all.) It's also why it appears our WRs get little separation on timing routes - by the time Rosier gets there, the DB has closed the gap. He's not a "throw guys open" kind of QB.

Based on his history at UGA, I suspect what Richt wants to run is some passing triangle/shallow cross concepts sprinkled with RPO and a power run game. What he's been running and is GOING to run with Rosier is a read-option, 4-vert, screen-based passing attack. He still wants to run power concepts (pulling guards, etc.), but man our OL just isn't there yet - hence the struggles in the run game lately.

Now we've been winning with Rosier and that's a testament to Rosier's sheer will to lead and get better and the coaches' ability to tailor our O to his strengths, but we are what we are right now on offense - limited.

BTW, the UNC game is vintage Richt - one of the big complaints about him at UGA was playing down to the level of competition, even during wins. Every coach has this issue to some degree, just be glad we've been coming out on the winning side so far.

Good post.

I'll add:

I truly believe Richt is evolving in his offensive philosophy to a more spread attack w/ a mobile QB (pretty much like the rest of CFB I guess).

As far as playing down to the competition, that's also been a Miami-ism for a long time. But like you said, we're not really in a position to talk about beauty contests. We just need to continue to make sure we have more points than the opponent when the clock hits 00:00.

The big question is, is he evolving to a more spread attack because of Rosier, or because it's what he wants to run? I'll add to that by saying there are a ton of different "spread attacks" that we could be running with a ton of different QBs. With Rosier, we're running a read-option, horizontal-to-vertical passing game. My hope is that we continue to run a "spread attack" even with other QBs under Richt, but maybe not THIS spread attack, if you get my drift...

My theory has always been that Mark Richt's most impactful mistake as a HC was letting Deshaun Watson get away. Was a big wake up call to him.
+1 The Cleveland Browns are thinking the same thing right now, but they got another Deshone.

Advertisement
I think the biggest issue right now is (based only on my opinion and a modicum of research of course) what Richt is running and what Richt might WANT to run are at odds. There's no doubt that he's getting the absolute most out of Rosier - warts and all - but he's doing it by severely limiting the offense to play to Malik's strengths. Malik is a one-read QB right now, and he's got the arm to put it where it needs to be, hence all those passes into tight spots. He also often processes information a tick slow (passes thrown late, behind, or not at all.) It's also why it appears our WRs get little separation on timing routes - by the time Rosier gets there, the DB has closed the gap. He's not a "throw guys open" kind of QB.

Based on his history at UGA, I suspect what Richt wants to run is some passing triangle/shallow cross concepts sprinkled with RPO and a power run game. What he's been running and is GOING to run with Rosier is a read-option, 4-vert, screen-based passing attack. He still wants to run power concepts (pulling guards, etc.), but man our OL just isn't there yet - hence the struggles in the run game lately.

Now we've been winning with Rosier and that's a testament to Rosier's sheer will to lead and get better and the coaches' ability to tailor our O to his strengths, but we are what we are right now on offense - limited.

BTW, the UNC game is vintage Richt - one of the big complaints about him at UGA was playing down to the level of competition, even during wins. Every coach has this issue to some degree, just be glad we've been coming out on the winning side so far.

On the first thread you referred to, if you'll look at what you said about the receivers/throwing game - I haven't seen much of that out of Richt. Crossings, X's, or drifting tight ends.

Do you think that currently, Rosier has too much time to think? I mean, when we go uptempo - it's like our receivers bust their move, Rosier (even if he's a one-read dude) can actually get it to them, as it's so quick - the receiver is open -and he isn't burdened with thinking or having to worry much about progressions?

If so, uptempo may be something Richt may want to consider.

Good post.

I'll add:

I truly believe Richt is evolving in his offensive philosophy to a more spread attack w/ a mobile QB (pretty much like the rest of CFB I guess).

As far as playing down to the competition, that's also been a Miami-ism for a long time. But like you said, we're not really in a position to talk about beauty contests. We just need to continue to make sure we have more points than the opponent when the clock hits 00:00.

The big question is, is he evolving to a more spread attack because of Rosier, or because it's what he wants to run? I'll add to that by saying there are a ton of different "spread attacks" that we could be running with a ton of different QBs. With Rosier, we're running a read-option, horizontal-to-vertical passing game. My hope is that we continue to run a "spread attack" even with other QBs under Richt, but maybe not THIS spread attack, if you get my drift...

It’s what they want to run. He did it early at UGA and he got away from it for some reason and started recruiting guys like Matt Stafford and Aaron Murray who obviously wouldn’t fit that kind of O. Even with Pickowski he can run the O he wants to run because he’s more athletic than them and his ‘19 QB recruiting is saying the same thing. He’s recruiting Michael Johnson Jr. and Dee’s boy Tai...both are DT QB and even his nephew Max, who’s in the 2020 class, can move.

I think it's a combination of a lot of things. Rosier is an average QB who is putting up above average numbers so far this year. How many times does he lock onto his primary read? I don't think the route trees are as bad as we saw last year but execution in the passing game is at times abysmal to say the least. We can talk all we want about putting Rosier in better positions to succeed but guys have to make plays on the field too.

Second, teams have very little respect in our ability to run. Walton was our best offensive player and while Homer is a nice back, you can't compare the two. And for all the complaints many have with Richt, Homer still got the ball 16 times on Saturday.

Finally, our OL has been inconsistent. They aren't opening up holes for Homer and Rosier is getting hit quite a few times a game.

Advertisement
Solid conversation in this thread guys.

Our short yardage results have been poor, specifically because the OL gets owned. At the same time, MR's play calling in the red zone has me scratching my head a lot too. Fades to our big WRs, rollouts to the wide side, motion with the TE or slot WR. There is so much more than can be done to negate the poor OL by the coaching staff in terms of scheme and play design.

The job Richt has done with Rosier is remarkable. We probably have 2 or 3 losses if Richt were a stubborn HC trying to fit Rosier into the scheme he wants to run.

This O is incredibly dumbed down for Rosier, and it's to limit turnovers. He only had 4 INTs through 7 games. Wow.

I like the idea that he's trying to see what works and what doesn't. There's a lot of successful plays that we've run in some games that we've seemingly never run again. Malik hit some beautiful fades early in the season, as well as some great over the shoulder dimes to the sideline. And then--

If we are to play a complete game on Offense, this is the week. This is one of the most important games of Richt's career coming up.

Advertisement
Solid conversation in this thread guys.

Our short yardage results have been poor, specifically because the OL gets owned. At the same time, MR's play calling in the red zone has me scratching my head a lot too. Fades to our big WRs, rollouts to the wide side, motion with the TE or slot WR. There is so much more than can be done to negate the poor OL by the coaching staff in terms of scheme and play design.

I agree with this. Like I posted in another thread their are several different run types (like the buck sweep that looks like Homers best run play), alignments, eye candy, etc that we can run to help out the oline. We complain about the oline a lot but have we played a team that has more talent than us at oline?

Also with the passing game. Crossing routes are a great way to help out both Rosier (wide open, easy throws) and our young WR (limits thinking and route running, emphasizes athletic traits). Does Harley/Thomas/Dallas have more than 5 end around/jet sweeps between them? Also surprised we haven't seen any kind of wildcat look with Dallas especially with the way we've struggled to run. Richt is hopefully saving some stuff for VT so we'll see how things look Saturday night under the lights

On the first thread you referred to, if you'll look at what you said about the receivers/throwing game - I haven't seen much of that out of Richt. Crossings, X's, or drifting tight ends.

Do you think that currently, Rosier has too much time to think? I mean, when we go uptempo - it's like our receivers bust their move, Rosier (even if he's a one-read dude) can actually get it to them, as it's so quick - the receiver is open -and he isn't burdened with thinking or having to worry much about progressions?

If so, uptempo may be something Richt may want to consider.

I think that's exactly right. It's the main reason we'll never go under center with Rosier (as alluded to in another thread), and it's the main reason we look so much more efficient when we run tempo. Rosier needs one read and a checkdown, and if they're not there, he'll tuck it and bail. The advantage is his TD/INT ratio is amazing since he's not "allowed" to make that bad read/mistake. The disadvantage is it takes away a gigantic chunk of the potential playbook.

Bet this offense is a whole **** of a lot more exciting when Richt has the boys he wants playing. Hard to expand the playbook too far with an O line that can't run block consistently and a true 1 read QB.

Also, it's kind of stupid to look at the offense he was running in the early 2000's and compare it to today. The game has evolved light years since then. You have to adapt to new rules and styles or you get left behind.

Advertisement
I feel like we have one running play, the draw from the shotgun. Heck lets at least mix in a toss sweep out of that. Same with passing, it can be third and forever and we still fake the run to Homer before passing it. I would like to see more shallow crosses, and even pump fake out of the bubble screens and go deep to the blocker. I saw Pittsburgh do it last night in the first quarter. It was a thing of beauty. I don't mind seeing it be vanilla at times, but show me your setting up other plays with the vanilla. Thats all I'm asking....

Yes, it's easy to get that impression, especially if one lacks knowledge/ability to break down film, which is the vast majority of us (me included). Very few of us know how to break down film, even if we had access to the all 22.

Someone on the Wez posted a bunch of tweets from some guy named Daniel Gould. Have no idea who the guy is but he does a nice job of showing different running plays and explaining what went right or wrong (more commonly). There were probably 5 or 6 different running plays just in that group of Tweets. The overwhelming number of failed plays involved the RG, usually Hayden Mahoney, getting blown up, not maintaining his block, not getting to his target on a pull, etc. To be fair, he was not the only one failing to execute but his failures were more common.

I feel like we have one running play, the draw from the shotgun. Heck lets at least mix in a toss sweep out of that. Same with passing, it can be third and forever and we still fake the run to Homer before passing it. I would like to see more shallow crosses, and even pump fake out of the bubble screens and go deep to the blocker. I saw Pittsburgh do it last night in the first quarter. It was a thing of beauty. I don't mind seeing it be vanilla at times, but show me your setting up other plays with the vanilla. Thats all I'm asking....

Yes, it's easy to get that impression, especially if one lacks knowledge/ability to break down film, which is the vast majority of us (me included). Very few of us know how to break down film, even if we had access to the all 22.

Someone on the Wez posted a bunch of tweets from some guy named Daniel Gould. Have no idea who the guy is but he does a nice job of showing different running plays and explaining what went right or wrong (more commonly). There were probably 5 or 6 different running plays just in that group of Tweets. The overwhelming number of failed plays involved the RG, usually Hayden Mahoney, getting blown up, not maintaining his block, not getting to his target on a pull, etc. To be fair, he was not the only one failing to execute but his failures were more common.
This... he may have had a good game vs ga tech but he was horrible vs North Carolina period.

It's obvious at this point MR is playing it safe let the defense keep it close then make adjustments in the second half. He seems to be afraid to overload Homer so as not to risk injury since we don't have much depth behind him.
I can't wait till we build up some depth at RB, O line and get some elite QB's so we can see what he can do, I think it's too hard to judge him right now since he's having to best utilize Goldens recruits.

I find you point interesting. It sure melds with his contention that we are not that talented to dominate teams. Our expectations are way to high.

Advertisement
We definitely have our struggles on offense and a lot of it has to do with our interior Oline run blocking. They have not been able to get a good push 2 weeks in a row now.

I don't think Richt put a ton of wrinkles or packages together for this last game. UNC was so battered, I think he thought they could be pretty vanilla running basic concepts to win the game.

That being said, the team should be completely locked in this week in practice. I am just hoping for a complete game from both sides. We are due!

Man don’t forget special teams

Agree with everything posted above except the point that we don't have the OL to pull guards and have a power running game.

We pulled guards all game long against GT and homer ran for 170. I haven't seen a guard pull since GT.

I'm not certain...but when did we lose Donaldson?... And could that be an issue?? It keeps being said " our depth isn't there yet".... That's what they talking bout! Donaldsons a beast....him being out hasn't done us many favors!

Advertisement
Back