MR offense at GA

Ceeski75

Band
Banned
what were his offenses like at GA? When he had the talent were they explosive? Never paid much attention. What kind of offense did he run? I'm assuming it's always been pro style. Asking for a friend

Advertisement
Early on yes. Very explosive offenses.

He caught **** BC of his DC. I think it was willie Martinez. He eventually had no choice but to fire him.

Rumor was he was forced to hire Schottenheimer as OC late in his run there

It's obvious at this point MR is playing it safe let the defense keep it close then make adjustments in the second half. He seems to be afraid to overload Homer so as not to risk injury since we don't have much depth behind him.
I can't wait till we build up some depth at RB, O line and get some elite QB's so we can see what he can do, I think it's too hard to judge him right now since he's having to best utilize Goldens recruits.

I think the biggest issue right now is (based only on my opinion and a modicum of research of course) what Richt is running and what Richt might WANT to run are at odds. There's no doubt that he's getting the absolute most out of Rosier - warts and all - but he's doing it by severely limiting the offense to play to Malik's strengths. Malik is a one-read QB right now, and he's got the arm to put it where it needs to be, hence all those passes into tight spots. He also often processes information a tick slow (passes thrown late, behind, or not at all.) It's also why it appears our WRs get little separation on timing routes - by the time Rosier gets there, the DB has closed the gap. He's not a "throw guys open" kind of QB.

Based on his history at UGA, I suspect what Richt wants to run is some passing triangle/shallow cross concepts sprinkled with RPO and a power run game. What he's been running and is GOING to run with Rosier is a read-option, 4-vert, screen-based passing attack. He still wants to run power concepts (pulling guards, etc.), but man our OL just isn't there yet - hence the struggles in the run game lately.

Now we've been winning with Rosier and that's a testament to Rosier's sheer will to lead and get better and the coaches' ability to tailor our O to his strengths, but we are what we are right now on offense - limited.

BTW, the UNC game is vintage Richt - one of the big complaints about him at UGA was playing down to the level of competition, even during wins. Every coach has this issue to some degree, just be glad we've been coming out on the winning side so far.

Advertisement
I think the biggest issue right now is (based only on my opinion and a modicum of research of course) what Richt is running and what Richt might WANT to run are at odds. There's no doubt that he's getting the absolute most out of Rosier - warts and all - but he's doing it by severely limiting the offense to play to Malik's strengths. Malik is a one-read QB right now, and he's got the arm to put it where it needs to be, hence all those passes into tight spots. He also often processes information a tick slow (passes thrown late, behind, or not at all.) It's also why it appears our WRs get little separation on timing routes - by the time Rosier gets there, the DB has closed the gap. He's not a "throw guys open" kind of QB.

Based on his history at UGA, I suspect what Richt wants to run is some passing triangle/shallow cross concepts sprinkled with RPO and a power run game. What he's been running and is GOING to run with Rosier is a read-option, 4-vert, screen-based passing attack. He still wants to run power concepts (pulling guards, etc.), but man our OL just isn't there yet - hence the struggles in the run game lately.

Now we've been winning with Rosier and that's a testament to Rosier's sheer will to lead and get better and the coaches' ability to tailor our O to his strengths, but we are what we are right now on offense - limited.

BTW, the UNC game is vintage Richt - one of the big complaints about him at UGA was playing down to the level of competition, even during wins. Every coach has this issue to some degree, just be glad we've been coming out on the winning side so far.

Good post.

I'll add:

I truly believe Richt is evolving in his offensive philosophy to a more spread attack w/ a mobile QB (pretty much like the rest of CFB I guess).

As far as playing down to the competition, that's also been a Miami-ism for a long time. But like you said, we're not really in a position to talk about beauty contests. We just need to continue to make sure we have more points than the opponent when the clock hits 00:00.

Good post.

I'll add:

I truly believe Richt is evolving in his offensive philosophy to a more spread attack w/ a mobile QB (pretty much like the rest of CFB I guess).

As far as playing down to the competition, that's also been a Miami-ism for a long time. But like you said, we're not really in a position to talk about beauty contests. We just need to continue to make sure we have more points than the opponent when the clock hits 00:00.

The big question is, is he evolving to a more spread attack because of Rosier, or because it's what he wants to run? I'll add to that by saying there are a ton of different "spread attacks" that we could be running with a ton of different QBs. With Rosier, we're running a read-option, horizontal-to-vertical passing game. My hope is that we continue to run a "spread attack" even with other QBs under Richt, but maybe not THIS spread attack, if you get my drift...

Good post.

I'll add:

The big question is, is he evolving to a more spread attack because of Rosier, or because it's what he wants to run? I'll add to that by saying there are a ton of different "spread attacks" that we could be running with a ton of different QBs. With Rosier, we're running a read-option, horizontal-to-vertical passing game. My hope is that we continue to run a "spread attack" even with other QBs under Richt, but maybe not THIS spread attack, if you get my drift...

My theory has always been that Mark Richt's most impactful mistake as a HC was letting Deshaun Watson get away. Was a big wake up call to him.

Good post.

I'll add:

My theory has always been that Mark Richt's most impactful mistake as a HC was letting Deshaun Watson get away. Was a big wake up call to him.

Combine that with wanting Cam Newton to play TE at UGA, too.

Hopefully, he's wide awake about the QB spot, now.

Advertisement
Team is severely limited by mediocre talent on the OL and at QB, plus having limited depth at RB and TE

Team is severely limited by mediocre talent on the OL and at QB, plus having limited depth at RB and TE

Not a popular position, because it's critical of kids on our roster. But this is accurate.

I love what Rosier has done for this team at QB ... Hes' unbeaten as a starter. But, outside of Miami/Rosier homers, I don't think you'd find very many people willing to pick him over Josh Jackson.

And losing Linder, Odogwu, Yearby, and Haskins has definitely hurt our depth.

CMR is playing it safe boys. Just look at our depth on offense we have none! We have the right coach in place and he will get us to where we need to be I am confident of that.

I still think that Richt is using these games to try different things to see what works and what doesn't. What worked in the last game, has not been used much in the next game (bubble screens, crossing routes, etc.)

Just my opinion.

Advertisement
Someone had a stat of Mark Richt play calling vs Mike Bobo play calling. Richt offenses averaged like 29 PPG and Bobo offenses averaged 32 PPG. We're screwed. I always had the impression Richt offenses were better then Bobo's.

Agree with everything posted above except the point that we don't have the OL to pull guards and have a power running game.

We pulled guards all game long against GT and homer ran for 170. I haven't seen a guard pull since GT.

We definitely have our struggles on offense and a lot of it has to do with our interior Oline run blocking. They have not been able to get a good push 2 weeks in a row now.

I don't think Richt put a ton of wrinkles or packages together for this last game. UNC was so battered, I think he thought they could be pretty vanilla running basic concepts to win the game.

That being said, the team should be completely locked in this week in practice. I am just hoping for a complete game from both sides. We are due!

Advertisement
At UGA, his offense was power run/pro style.

I think by the time Rosier moves on from the program, he'll have put in place "power spread" concepts with a heavy dose of RPO. I believe that that's best-suited for what can be built here and will take advantage of the athletes he has access to in South Florida.

Great post! I don't think CMR has a good feel for play calling at this point. He's made critical clock management mistakes the last few weeks and its too much feast or famine. I'd love for us to have more quick passes that allow our guys to get in space (see Ahmonn's TD vs. Duke as an example)

I feel like we have one running play, the draw from the shotgun. Heck lets at least mix in a toss sweep out of that. Same with passing, it can be third and forever and we still fake the run to Homer before passing it. I would like to see more shallow crosses, and even pump fake out of the bubble screens and go deep to the blocker. I saw Pittsburgh do it last night in the first quarter. It was a thing of beauty. I don't mind seeing it be vanilla at times, but show me your setting up other plays with the vanilla. Thats all I'm asking....

I know there's always an exception(al) p0Rster on these matters, but, I think it's safe to say that Rosier has blown away all of our expectations this season. That's coaching folks.

I have a hard time believing that the same coach who has done that good of a job with the QBs has a ceiling of merely "mediocre" with everything else some folks throw cr@p at him for.

By the way, 24-16 this week. :neonu:

Advertisement
Back