Off-Topic Movie/TV Recommendations Thread

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Agreed, and imma need @TooColdToHold to speak on why they disagree.
I just didn’t think it was as real and authentic as a show like the Wire. I know all TV shows have be unrealistic to a degree for entertainment purposes. For example, I know a dude like Omar would have been murked pretty quickly in real life, but the Wire was able to portray the impact of the Baltimore drug trade on all levels of society. They even hired non-acting Baltimore residents to add to the authenticity. Snowfall was more of a made for TV story that kind of dumbed things down for the audience. And Damson Idris and some of the other actors didn’t come off as believable in their roles.

I just didn’t think it was as real and authentic as a show like the Wire. I know all TV shows have be unrealistic to a degree for entertainment purposes. For example, I know a dude like Omar would have been murked pretty quickly in real life, but the Wire was able to portray the impact of the Baltimore drug trade on all levels of society. They even hired non-acting Baltimore residents to add to the authenticity. Snowfall was more of a made for TV story that kind of dumbed things down for the audience. And Damson Idris and some of the other actors didn’t come off as believable in their roles.

I’m tryna understand how it didn’t come off as real?

This is coming from someone who’s actually from The Bity, The Gang Bang Capital of the world, seeing first hand what happened to L.A, Compton, and y Gang Violence ramped up in 80’s by like 500%.

I mean it was pretty **** accurate, & if imma keep it 💯, everyone knows how the CIA used “the war on drugs” to fund covert ops. Between crooked cops who were on payroll, THE REAL PJ PROJECTS they were in, families turning on each other, etc etc it was **** accurate.

Maybe if u lived in L.A u would be able to better appreciate it. Also, remember Franklin was a smart kid that got turned out. I can tell u two of my homies who r no longer here were straight nerds in middle school (3.83 & 3.71 GPAs when we graduated & I was the bad influence). Both went to good HS, & by the time they graduated HS, got hella turned out. U wouldn’t even think they were about that tool life, but the $$$ & girls turned them into monsters.

The end lesson also showed how living that life leads u down a destructible path, & my uncle can tell u how he went from Beamers & Benz to a cell, strung out, broke (and thank God he found a good woman, sober living & is now a community activist helping those on the streets)

I love The Wire, ppl know about The Wire & the realism (Also “We Own This City” is hella dope which is also true about B-More & happens sometime around the Amsterdam scene of The Wire), but don’t think Snowfall was on some theatrical chit. L.A was really like that, & if imma be honest, ain’t never recovered.

One of the best TV shows in history. It's up there with The Wire, Breaking Bad and The Sopranos. Probably had the best ending out of any of these shows too.

Franklin Saint got the “criminal version” of the Vic Mackey ending on The Shield. Came soooo close to getting away with it, survived the worst of the bloodshed, and now destined to live in a hellish existence with no real power or ability to break free.

Advertisement
Snowfall and The Wire are both great shows buy they both featured dramatization for television purposes. They were multiple characters in Snowfall that are based on real-life people. Wanda is based on woman John Singleton grew up with and knew. The cast met her on set. Franklin is loosely based on the story of Freeway Rick Ross.

There were multiple extras that John hired right off the street of South Central, LA. The main story is non-fiction as has been reported as we know the CIA was pumping drugs into the black community thus turning it upside-down. You can still see the effects of that today if you visit Skid-Row.

In regards to Damson Idris (Franklin), do you know for him to earn the role he had to walk around South Central for a full day, in character as Franklin, to be casted.

Advertisement
Franklin Saint got the “criminal version” of the Vic Mackey ending on The Shield. Came soooo close to getting away with it, survived the worst of the bloodshed, and now destined to live in a hellish existence with no real power or ability to break free.
This x100000%

Franklin became the thing he hated most (his father) while attaining what he wanted all along (freedom). He was forced to live in the mess he helped create. The ending scenes with Franklin and Leon was some of the most powerful scenes in television history.

The best ending I've ever seen. So poetic.

One of the best TV shows in history. It's up there with The Wire, Breaking Bad and The Sopranos. Probably had the best ending out of any of these shows too.

Which show? I'm looking for a good one, and have seen every episode of the other 3 you noted.

I’m tryna understand how it didn’t come off as real?

This is coming from someone who’s actually from The Bity, The Gang Bang Capital of the world, seeing first hand what happened to L.A, Compton, and y Gang Violence ramped up in 80’s by like 500%.

I mean it was pretty **** accurate, & if imma keep it 💯, everyone knows how the CIA used “the war on drugs” to fund covert ops. Between crooked cops who were on payroll, THE REAL PJ PROJECTS they were in, families turning on each other, etc etc it was **** accurate.

Maybe if u lived in L.A u would be able to better appreciate it. Also, remember Franklin was a smart kid that got turned out. I can tell u two of my homies who r no longer here were straight nerds in middle school (3.83 & 3.71 GPAs when we graduated & I was the bad influence). Both went to good HS, & by the time they graduated HS, got hella turned out. U wouldn’t even think they were about that tool life, but the $$$ & girls turned them into monsters.

The end lesson also showed how living that life leads u down a destructible path, & my uncle can tell u how he went from Beamers & Benz to a cell, strung out, broke (and thank God he found a good woman, sober living & is now a community activist helping those on the streets)

I love The Wire, ppl know about The Wire & the realism (Also “We Own This City” is hella dope which is also true about B-More & happens sometime around the Amsterdam scene of The Wire), but don’t think Snowfall was on some theatrical chit. L.A was really like that, & if imma be honest, ain’t never recovered.
The Wire and “We Own the City” which is based on a true story are both by David Simon. I have to check out Snowfall.

Advertisement
Back