Movers and shakers in ESPN 300

• WR Travis Rudolph (West Palm Beach, Fla./Cardinal Newman) climbs to No. 65 from No. 81: Rudolph is going to be a great player and he catches everything thrown in his area code. He might have the most secure and reliable hands of any wide receiver in this class.

• DE Chad Thomas (Miami, Fla./Booker T. Washington) climbs to No. 125 from No. 184: In a class where most of the top defensive lineman are better as run stoppers than pass rushers, Thomas stands out as an explosive edge rusher who is only going to get bigger and stronger as he adds weight to his lanky frame. The Miami commit's speed and ability to bend the edge make him difficult to handle one-on-one.

• Miami QB-PP commit Brad Kaaya (West Hills, Calif./Chaminade) climbs to No. 171 from No. 252.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/recruiting/football/story/_/id/9508504/tony-brown-big-movers-updated-espn-300

Last edited:
Advertisement
Rudolph is a good player, but there are a lot more good wide receivers every year than pass rushing defensive ends of Thomas' size. No way is Rudolph 60 spots better, or better at all, given the scarcity and overall importance of their skillsets.

Advertisement
Won MVP at all three camps from my recollection matching up against the best OL prospects in the nation. Plus Chad has ideal measurements and a high ceiling. Therefore no reason to not give him the ranking he deserves.

Won MVP at all three camps from my recollection matching up against the best OL prospects in the nation. Plus Chad has ideal measurements and a high ceiling. Therefore no reason to not give him the ranking he deserves.

Besides the fact that he isn't going to be attending an SEC power.

Advertisement
Here's what I don't get:

6'5" - 6'6", 245 lb DE (super in demand position) who is very productive in the best county for high school football in the country, knocked 5 star OL prospects around at an elite camp and shows unlimited upside...how is he rated outside the Top 5 prospects in the country? Who are you arguing is a better prospect if you're a recruiting analyst?

The Chad Thomas thing is incredible, and reminds me of why pre-season polls suck. Team A starts outside top 25, they have a lot longer to go than a team that starts out at #10 regardless of performance. It's like they're scared to move Chad up too much. Guy just went to see the best of the best and whipped their asses. All the physical traits are there. He plays the best competition in the country. But.... w/e. He'll make plays for us all the same.

Im not usually one of those guys who jumps on the bandwagon of "if Player X was committed to ALA/LSU/FSU/UF he would be ranked higher". But this is so blatant it is not even funny. This kid should be a top 5 DE. And a top 50 player. Period. Hope he uses this as fuel against Norcross. He can shoot up the rankings like Brandon Harris did when he "locked down" AJ Green.

Here's what I don't get:

6'5" - 6'6", 245 lb DE (super in demand position) who is very productive in the best county for high school football in the country, knocked 5 star OL prospects around at an elite camp and shows unlimited upside...how is he rated outside the Top 5 prospects in the country? Who are you arguing is a better prospect if you're a recruiting analyst?

He's not ranked that high bc he actually wasn't that productive last year. i think he had something like 4 or mayb 5 sacks. he's made huge strides since last season. if he produces more on the field this season i think u see him end up in the top 50

Advertisement
Here's what I don't get:

He's not ranked that high bc he actually wasn't that productive last year. i think he had something like 4 or mayb 5 sacks. he's made huge strides since last season. if he produces more on the field this season i think u see him end up in the top 50

Maybe I'm off, but I thought Chad had way more than "4 or 5 sacks"

Im not usually one of those guys who jumps on the bandwagon of "if Player X was committed to ALA/LSU/FSU/UF he would be ranked higher". But this is so blatant it is not even funny. This kid should be a top 5 DE. And a top 50 player. Period. Hope he uses this as fuel against Norcross. He can shoot up the rankings like Brandon Harris did when he "locked down" AJ Green.

I think it's the fact that he is committed. He balled at the opening and they probably would have moved him up but he's a seemingly strong commitment. Espn and other sites will list Un committed players high because it draws in bigger ratings from people following recruiting

It's nice, but we know what we have in some of these kids. We know Chad should be top 50. Guys like Demetrius Jackson will never get into the ESPN 150 but that kid is a 5 star talent. You just have to watch a couple of clips to see the raw athleticism and explosion. I would bet there isn’t a DE in the country that has the closing burst of Jackson.

Advertisement
Here's what I don't get:

Maybe I'm off, but I thought Chad had way more than "4 or 5 sacks"

I'll try to find the article but im at work, but what i read was something like 4 sacks and that scouts want to see him perform on the field. i think it was espn tho so it might have been wrong, somebody in SFL should know

Who cares where they are ranked now? The hype of recruiting does not really take off til late December anyway. Chad will be a consensus top 50 player by then. This class is full of underrated kids at this point and I say this as someone that usually has not been all that happy with our recruiting. Our kids will show out during the season and the all star games and then help make that final push convincing others to join them before NSD.

They just didn't want to move Thomas up 150 spots, thats all.

Everybody knows what he did at camps and now it's just about putting it together on the field. He will be ranked plenty high at the end of the year.

Advertisement
Back