Most unappreciated Canes

Advertisement
Disagree with the premise, ask most on this board who the best RB's in school history is & McGahee is always mentioned.

He's arguably one of the most dominant RB's in Dade county history, and had literally the single greatest season of any RB at The U. Still holds the records for most yards & TD's in a season.

Had McGahee not been injured he probably would of had a HOF career & even so still had great years in Buffalo & his first year for the Ravens.

We win the national championship w/ no controversy if Willis never got hurt. Still recall Buckeyes low key celebrating the injury, which til this day is the main reason y I hate them. Willis no doubt would’ve been a top 5 pick and had a top 10 all time RB career, imho. I shudder to think what kind of #’s Willis, Portis, and Gore would’ve put up had knee injuries not happened.

I think Geoff Toretta, had the most passing yards in the last scheduled game in 86 (I think over 500) when Vinny got hurt in a motor scooter accident and to this day wish JJ had substituted him in for Vinny in the Fiesta Bowl. If I ever meet JJ that will be my first question, from people I've met they say JJ and Stevens did not want Vinny to check out of run plays but he kept doing it and throwing int's. If they had given the ball to Highsmith on every play they would've crushed PSU.

Wasn’t quite yet a Cane fan at this time (started in 87), but I still feel crushed by 86. Again, I feel and have always felt Vinny gave that game away. Til this day, he’s rarely, if ever, around the program and that’s even when his son was here. Something will always feel fishy about those bread in the basket ints.

Advertisement
Wasn’t quite yet a Cane fan at this time (started in 87), but I still feel crushed by 86. Again, I feel and have always felt Vinny gave that game away. Til this day, he’s rarely, if ever, around the program and that’s even when his son was here. Something will always feel fishy about those bread in the basket ints.
He comes around...he's a very shy person...
As far as throwing the NC game...I don't know...he had plenty of opportunities to throw the 85 & 86 OU games, and riddled OUs All World secondary...His scramble and subsequent TD to Irvin literally Won him the Heisman...If anyone is to be blamed for the 86 Loss to Penn St it's JJ....He's said it himself...In all my yrs watching UM FB...Ive never saw anyone throw a FB like Testeverde...I'm talking frozen ropes from anywhere on the field...

He comes around...he's a very shy person...
As far as throwing the NC game...I don't know...he had plenty of opportunities to throw the 85 & 86 OU games, and riddled OUs All World secondary...His scramble and subsequent TD to Irvin literally Won him the Heisman...If anyone is to be blamed for the 86 Loss to Penn St it's JJ....He's said it himself...In all my yrs watching UM FB...Ive never saw anyone throw a FB like Testeverde...I'm talking frozen ropes from anywhere on the field...

I get it and I agree about his arm. I’m not saying he intentionally took a dive in the Fiesta, but to the point @Rellyrell made, it LOOKED almost like he was throwing some of those picks on purpose. Just look at the final one. He literally seeks out the portion of the field with the biggest concentration of blue jerseys and tosses the ball into the middle of it. But yeah, if he wasn’t doing what JJ wanted him to do and he was allowed to just keep doing it, then that ultimately falls on the head coach.

I get it and I agree about his arm. I’m not saying he intentionally took a dive in the Fiesta, but to the point @Rellyrell made, it LOOKED almost like he was throwing some of those picks on purpose. Just look at the final one. He literally seeks out the portion of the field with the biggest concentration of blue jerseys and tosses the ball into the middle of it. But yeah, if he wasn’t doing what JJ wanted him to do and he was allowed to just keep doing it, then that ultimately falls in the head coach.
I have a hard time believing he threw the game...Just a Horrible game for him...Other Great UM QBs have stunk up the joint on a few occasions...Testerverde by all accounts was Devastated after the loss...If you go back and watch the game...You can see it on his face...

Advertisement
I've seen Stephan Morris throw multiple INTs...go to the sidelines and start laughing and smiling while eating a Snickers bar...Not a NC...But important games Nonetheless...

I have a hard time believing he threw the game...Just a Horrible game for him...Other Great UM QBs have stunk up the joint on a few occasions...Testerverde by all accounts was Devastated after the loss...If you go back and watch the game...You can see it on his face...

My man; I’ve rewatched that game countless of times, and I don’t recall one time on those ints that Testaverde had any pressure. Clean pockets and with open windows. Guys flying open and literally be threw the ball straight to PSU defenders w no white jerseys around. How does that happen? Not double coverage ints, I’m talking about no one was around ints, so y throw there? Always happened when Miami was moving, too. He may have been devastated b/c he tossed the game like players were from BC in shaving points in the 70’s.

My man; I’ve rewatched that game countless of times, and I don’t recall one time on those ints that Testaverde had any pressure. Clean pockets and with open windows. Guys flying open and literally be threw the ball straight to PSU defenders w no white jerseys around. How does that happen? Not double coverage ints, I’m talking about no one was around ints, so y throw there? Always happened when Miami was moving, too. He may have been devastated b/c he tossed the game like players were from BC in shaving points in the 70’s.
Thing is...not one of his teammates think that was the case...Even Irvin and Jerome took to his defense yrs later when the subject came up...

Advertisement
Advertisement
Been jumping up and down screaming this for years. He's literally one of the best college MLB's to ever play the game. His college stats and accolades are insane.

If you’re talking college only, he’s better than Ray...in fact, I’d go as far (granted I never saw Hendricks) to say if you said he was the best defensive player AT Miami of all time, I’d respect it.

Any Sicilian from the tri state from that era cannot be trusted...maybe gaspipe and the chin got to him? 😂

Advertisement
Back