Most unappreciated Canes

Advertisement
Davenport and James Jackson on offense
Tiger Clark and Calais Campbell on D

Matt Britton who was injured and we never ever saw him but talk to those who knew him and they will tell you stories. Alonzo Highsmith era (out of Columbus HS)...

Advertisement
Chick.
Shayon Green
Matt Bosher (seriously the guy did everything well and he would make tackles)
Colin McCarthy

Matt Britton who was injured and we never ever saw him but talk to those who knew him and they will tell you stories. Alonzo Highsmith era (out of Columbus HS)...

Besides being oft injured, by only memory of britton was that he used to get into fights all the time at practice. dude didn't back down from anyone and generally regarded as a tough SOB.

Denzel Perryman may not be underrated but I feel he's under appreciated and overshadowed a bit by other LB greats. I don't know about y'all but I'd take him over Shaq or Pinckney any day of the week(and definitely twice on Sundays!). Shaq and Pinckney are very good players in their own right but Denzel had that it factor to me.

Advertisement

Nice to see Matt Britton get a mention. My older bro went to school with him growing up. We were excited to see him at LB for the Canes. But his career ended with an ugly knee injury in either his first game as a starter or pretty early on in the season. Somebody can help me out here on the exact timing.

I think Geoff Toretta, had the most passing yards in the last scheduled game in 86 (I think over 500) when Vinny got hurt in a motor scooter accident and to this day wish JJ had substituted him in for Vinny in the Fiesta Bowl. If I ever meet JJ that will be my first question, from people I've met they say JJ and Stevens did not want Vinny to check out of run plays but he kept doing it and throwing int's. If they had given the ball to Highsmith on every play they would've crushed PSU.

Geoff Toretta was money in that game vs East Carolina to keep the undefeated record heading into the Fiesta in ‘86. Insane completion percentage, as I recall.

I’ve often wondered the same thing about that Fiesta Bowl. JJ should have pulled Vinny for a series and put Toretta in to get things back on track. It couldn’t have hurt. But how do you yank the Heisman winner, right?

Tony Fitzpatrick, just for his performance against Nebraska in the 83/84 game alone...

Fitz NT battle with All American center Dave Remington was a classic , boys it was a bloody battle of epic proportions, Fitz was told there are NO reinforcements coming you MUST HOLD at all costs.

Fitz wore Army battle fatigues in pregame , Dave knew it was on for 4 quarters with Fitz half the size of Dave mortal battle for the ages it was.

GOCANES

Advertisement
Fitz NT battle with All American center Dave Remington was a classic , boys it was a bloody battle of epic proportions, Fitz was told there are NO reinforcements coming you MUST HOLD at all costs.

Fitz wore Army battle fatigues in pregame , Dave knew it was on for 4 quarters with Fitz half the size of Dave mortal battle for the ages it was.

GOCANES
Good friend...I hung out with him at the ND game in 2017

Advertisement
Allen Hurns

Always get slept on. Still has the single season record for receiving yards in a season and we never talk about him as a Miami all-time great. Still can't belive he went undrafted.

Are you kidding me... Danny Stubbs? Leon Searcy? Greg Mark? Winston Moss? Brian Blades? You misunderstood the thread.
And you are not accounting for time. While two dinosaurs like you and I know those names, there are alot of youngins on here that would have to be up on youtube all night doing their research.

Jaoquin Gonzalez RT on the greatest college football team EVER

Hardly EVER mentioned ......but he was the heart and soul of our last great OL....and was extremely smart too

We desperately need someone like him now

He was like Ed Reed to the OLinemen.....I remember he would have the OL out there practicing together all summer long, running, lifting.

They were a powerful, never quit, totally dedicated, cohesive unit that never failed on 3rd and short ......and Dorsey could eat sandwiches back there with their pass protection
Great post!

Advertisement
Back