More on Officiating - Fumble

jaxcane11

Recruit
Premium
Exactly why did they let the goalline fumble by Shipley play out until it was recovered and headed the other way? This all got lost in the discussion because of the wild sequence of events that followed. This **** is getting ridiculous and hard to watch anymore. If it's not bad officiating it's terrible commercials trying to sell with some gimmick bull****.

sorry if already talked about

Advertisement
Exactly why did they let the goalline fumble by Shipley play out until it was recovered and headed the other way? This all got lost in the discussion because of the wild sequence of events that followed. This **** is getting ridiculous and hard to watch anymore. If it's not bad officiating it's terrible commercials trying to sell with some gimmick bull****.

sorry if already talked about
just looked at it, kinda look like the ref had brain fart, wasn’t ready, or just not good. Didn’t see a beanbag to mark fumble during the play from the linesman either.

Advertisement
Officials at the NFL and collegiate level are taught to let the play finish and then go back to replay for accuracy….since all turnovers and scores are reviewed anyway.

Atrocious job by that wing official of blowing it dead without 100% definite knowledge that JW was down. It did play out to our favor as we got the ball on the 20 whereas JW was about to get tacked inside the 10.

Officials at the NFL and collegiate level are taught to let the play finish and then go back to replay for accuracy….since all turnovers and scores are reviewed anyway.

Atrocious job by that wing official of blowing it dead without 100% definite knowledge that JW was down. It did play out to our favor as we got the ball on the 20 whereas JW was about to get tacked inside the 10.
The problem I'm starting to see with this is that when they let the play finish, it hasn't been blown dead yet so the default call is a fumble that requires indisputable evidence to be overturned.

Advertisement
I don’t claim to know all of the rules, but after the fumble, Williams stood up and grabbed the ball and ran it. Refs blew the play dead and said he was down by contact
That entire sequence was a mess. It wouldn't have benefited us, but I was so surprised that wasn't reviewed. A ton of meaningless plays are reviewed. I'm confused why this one wasn't, but whatever. That may have been the nice lone call we got Saturday.
Pretty odd that a play that resulted in a turnover wasn’t reviewed.

Williams happened to fall on the ball and didn’t know it until he got up and saw it. Wouldn’t surprise me if it was so fast the ref didn’t notice. Shipley fumbled the ball, and it bounced forward under Williams. Quite lucky actually.

I think the refs blew the whistle thinking the play was over and perhaps Shipley scored, but then noticed Williams grabbed a loose ball. He should’ve been able to return it, but not for the whistle.

Last edited:
Who cares. Got much better field position bc they ruled JW down.

I also thought he picked it up while he was still down when I saw it live.

Advertisement
I think once they saw him get up and pick up the ball they thought he had possession on the ground so they blew it dead. Annoying but it seems reasonable to me.

Advertisement
I don’t claim to know all of the rules, but after the fumble, Williams stood up and grabbed the ball and ran it. Refs blew the play dead and said he was down by contact

Pretty odd that a play that resulted in a turnover wasn’t reviewed.
Since they weren’t reviewing the possession of the ball, why would it go to replay. Really wasn’t a reason to review it

The call that still blows my mind is the non safety. I don’t understand why the field judge marked him at 1. It was the field judge that was behind Klubnik. There is no way he saw where the ball was. So he just randomly blows whistle as if he doesn’t understand the player was running backwards. None of it including the review made any sense. Mario better be lighting someone up this week. It screams of a fix being in When you take points off the board like that.

We should honestly just be thanking the variance gods and thankful it was immediately ruled a TD. If the zebras could have that back, all seven of them would’ve run in immediately with two hands straight up.

Advertisement
Back