More on Officiating - Fumble

Advertisement
The call that still blows my mind is the non safety. I don’t understand why the field judge marked him at 1. It was the field judge that was behind Klubnik. There is no way he saw where the ball was. So he just randomly blows whistle as if he doesn’t understand the player was running backwards. None of it including the review made any sense. Mario better be lighting someone up this week. It screams of a fix being in When you take points off the board like that.
The safety was an all time bad call. for picking the ball up initially I did think he was down. He was legit laying on the ball, no one could see it. Wasnt until he stood up and picked up the ball people figured out what was going on. The football gods also made it right on the next play AND watching the replay #7 and I think 11 for Clemson had a beat on JW20. I think he gets tackled inside the 20 so calling him down in the endzone benefits us.

Since they weren’t reviewing the possession of the ball, why would it go to replay. Really wasn’t a reason to review it
The refs were lost in the sauce. Who knows what they saw.

It was only 3rd down for Clemson, so it would not have been a turnover on downs. Williams was clearly standing up and picked up the fumbled ball. It was criminal to blow it dead and eliminated a scoring chance for Miami. They should’ve allowed the play to continue and then reviewed it.

The NFL has a share of bad ref calls, but nowhere as egregious as college football. At least all turnovers are reviewed.

Advertisement
Because too many refs reflexively blow their whistles when they are not sure what is happening.
I frankly think they should do exactly the opposite. Do not blow your whistle unless you know for certain a play should be stopped. The whistle should not be the default reaction.

Advertisement
I want our 2 points.

75e8618e7d28cf7786da514efd15c23a.jpg

Because too many refs reflexively blow their whistles when they are not sure what is happening.
I frankly think they should do exactly the opposite. Do not blow your whistle unless you know for certain a play should be stopped. The whistle should not be the default reaction.
Problem with that philosophy is the GT game fumble. Runner is down, official 2 feet away with a perfectly unobstructed view lets it play out just in case. Now the call on the field is fumble and you need irrefutable evidence it isn’t. One person standing in the wrong spot can prevent the needed camera angle and now a non fumble is a fumble.

Advertisement
Problem with that philosophy is the GT game fumble. Runner is down, official 2 feet away with a perfectly unobstructed view lets it play out just in case. Now the call on the field is fumble and you need irrefutable evidence it isn’t. One person standing in the wrong spot can prevent the needed camera angle and now a non fumble is a fumble.
Great point and fair correction from my statement.

The problem was NOT blowing the whistle in the GT game when Don was clearly down and then blowing (pause) it in the Clemson game after the Shipley fumble when nobody knew where the ball was.

******* do your job and make the right call.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back