Monday Recruiting Chatter - 12/3

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
**Miami hosted three official visitors this weekend in the form of Evan and Edrick Neal, as well as Dontae Lucas. Here’s what I was hearing on the three.

**On Lucas: A few months back, I warned to watch out for some potential movement with Dontae and UM, and that he was not 100% happy with his FSU commitment, so this visit was not a complete surprise. I was told by two sources close to the recruitment that his UM visit went as well as could possibly be expected and that Miami has made a move. The Canes were previously fighting an upfield battle with Lucas, as mom did not like Miami all too much. The tune has changed here though, as UM really won mom over this weekend and she now prefers to have Lucas stay home in Miami. I believe Miami should be considered the leader in this recruitment and, though he is very confused about what his final decision should be, Lucas is leaning towards flipping to Miami. The mess that has been created in Tallahassee has also played a big part in this. Because of that, I have been told UF is also a serious contender as well and to not discount the Gators; he is OV’ing to Gainesville next weekend. Why am I not making a Miami pick yet? Dontae is known to be very impressionable and I want to see if the feeling from this visit wears off as time passes or if there are overly positive reports coming out of his other official visits. There’s also a very plausible scenario where FSU convinces him to stay in the class on his official, as the Noles have the last shot at him.

**On Evan Neal: Although the visit went well. I have not heard anything overly positive on the 5-star tackle coming out of the visit weekend. I was also told not to expect offering his brother to make any real impact on where he ends up; Evan will make what he feels is the best choice for his future alone. I still see Miami running behind Alabama here.

**On Edrick Neal: He had a blast on what might end up being his only official to a Division 1 program. I was told that Miami is serious about Edrick and will take him as a PWO even without his brother. It’s hard to say right now if he will take that over a full-ride to a Division 2 school because his relationship with UM is so new.

**Decommitment rumblings: Last week, I said I felt cautiously optimistic on Michael Tarquin sticking to UM coming off his Miami OV, barring UF making up ground on his official to the Gators; the very next day, I got some bad news on this front. Coupled with a great official to Gainesville this weekend, I believe that the Gators should be considered the leaders here… Another follow up from last week, I was told by an additional source that those around St. Thomas are expecting Anthony Solomon at Michigan, which further solidifies my Wolverines pick… Jarvis Brownlee hosted FSU coaches for an in-home visit this week and plans a UCF official visit this weekend. Despite that, I was told by a source close to the recruitment that Brownlee and his family are happy with his UM commitment and he has given no indications to expect him to sign with anyone else besides Miami… He may still end up signing with UM, but as I have referenced before, Cam Williams will be one to watch closely over the off-season. It’s going to be an uphill battle for him to qualify and Miami is going to have to work some Dionte Mullins-type magic to get him eligible and past the NCAA Clearinghouse.

**TE recruiting: Last night, Jalen Wydermyer popped for Texas A&M and that was a big blow for the class; Miami was expecting to land him this month. I’ve said I’m not high on Keon Zipperer ending up at Miami and I still maintain that. A scenario I could see play out, though, is teammate Lloyd Summerall, who I feel is higher on UM, convincing Zipperer to come with him to Miami as a package deal. With that said, UM wants two TE's regardless and is going to line-up a back-up option in case Zipperer doesn’t choose Miami. I was told Miami will circle back on a name you may remember from the summer: Homestead TE Rahmod Smith. Smith impressed at some of the Mark Richt summer camps, and earned an invite to Paradise with his play, but UM never pulled the trigger on an offer. Smith later committed to UNLV and now Miami will kick the tires here to see if there is any interest.

**Miami is evaluating yet another New Yorker to potentially add to the slew of recent offerees from the state: 2020 4-star RB Tirek Murphy, teammate of the recently offered DT Jared Harrison-Hunte at Christ the King High. At 6’1”, 205 pounds, Murphy already has offers to Michigan, Michigan State, Texas A&M, Tennessee, and South Carolina among others. The “NY to MIA” movement is alive and well.

Advertisement
Dumpster fire.
- Lucas highly unlikely
- Neal not coming
- Offering Neal’s bro as PWO
- Solomon flipping
- Tarquin flipping
- Miss on Wydermyer
- Zip not coming
- Summerall highly unlikely
- Williams will not be eligible
- Offering low 3 star TE from Homestead
- Left out Eguakin flip

What’s not to like?

Last edited:
**Miami hosted three official visitors this weekend in the form of Evan and Edrick Neal, as well as Dontae Lucas. Here’s what I was hearing on the three.

**On Lucas: A few months back, I warned to watch out for some potential movement with Dontae and UM, and that he was not 100% happy with his FSU commitment, so this visit was not a complete surprise. I was told by two sources close to the recruitment that his UM visit went as well as could possibly be expected and that Miami has made a move. The Canes were previously fighting an upfield battle with Lucas, as mom did not like Miami all too much. The tune has changed here though, as UM really won mom over this weekend and she now prefers to have Lucas stay home in Miami. I believe Miami should be considered the leader in this recruitment and, though he is very confused about what his final decision should be, Lucas is leaning towards flipping to Miami. The mess that has been created in Tallahassee has also played a big part in this. Because of that, I have been told UF is also a serious contender as well and to not discount the Gators; he is OV’ing to Gainesville next weekend. Why am I not making a Miami pick yet? Dontae is known to be very impressionable and I want to see if the feeling from this visit wears off as time passes or if there are overly positive reports coming out of his other official visits. There’s also a very plausible scenario where FSU convinces him to stay in the class on his official, as the Noles have the last shot at him.

**On Evan Neal: Although the visit went well. I have not heard anything overly positive on the 5-star tackle coming out of the visit weekend. I was also told not to expect offering his brother to make any real impact on where he ends up; Evan will make what he feels is the best choice for his future alone. I still see Miami running behind Alabama here.

**On Edrick Neal: He had a blast on what might end up being his only official to a Division 1 program. I was told that Miami is serious about Edrick and will take him as a PWO even without his brother. It’s hard to say right now if he will take that over a full-ride to a Division 2 school because his relationship with UM is so new.

**Decommitment rumblings: Last week, I said I felt cautiously optimistic on Michael Tarquin sticking to UM coming off his Miami OV, barring UF making up ground on his official to the Gators; the very next day, I got some bad news on this front. Coupled with a great official to Gainesville this weekend, I believe that the Gators should be considered the leaders here… Another follow up from last week, I was told by an additional source that those around St. Thomas are expecting Anthony Solomon at Michigan, which further solidifies my Wolverines pick… Jarvis Brownlee hosted FSU coaches for an in-home visit this week and plans a UCF official visit this weekend. Despite that, I was told by a source close to the recruitment that Brownlee and his family are happy with his UM commitment and he has given no indications to expect him to sign with anyone else besides Miami… He may still end up signing with UM, but as I have referenced before, Cam Williams will be one to watch closely over the off-season. It’s going to be an uphill battle for him to qualify and Miami is going to have to work some Dionte Mullins-type magic to get him eligible and past the NCAA Clearinghouse.

**TE recruiting: Last night, Jalen Wydermyer popped for Texas A&M and that was a big blow for the class; Miami was expecting to land him this month. I’ve said I’m not high on Keon Zipperer ending up at Miami and I still maintain that. A scenario I could see play out, though, is teammate Lloyd Summerall, who I feel is higher on UM, convincing Zipperer to come with him to Miami as a package deal. With that said, UM wants two TE's regardless and is going to line-up a back-up option in case Zipperer doesn’t choose Miami. I was told Miami will circle back on a name you may remember from the summer: Homestead TE Rahmod Smith. Smith impressed at some of the Mark Richt summer camps, and earned an invite to Paradise with his play, but UM never pulled the trigger on an offer. Smith later committed to UNLV and now Miami will kick the tires here to see if there is any interest.

**Miami is evaluating yet another New Yorker to potentially add to the slew of recent offerees from the state: 2020 4-star RB Tirek Murphy, teammate of the recently offered DT Jared Harrison-Hunte at Christ the King High. At 6’1”, 205 pounds, Murphy already has offers to Michigan, Michigan State, Texas A&M, Tennessee, and South Carolina among others. The “NY to MIA” movement is alive and well.

2B88C62F-9400-43FD-A84D-1A3A6FDCA60C.gif

Advertisement
Advertisement
I mean we ran out of scholarship tight ends this year and we have the most play making tight ends in the NFL. I know brevin is good and may scare away some competition but how do we not have kids lining up to play the positron here?

History has shown us o
ne should always take recruiting article's/updates with a grain of salt - buckets full

I know, just trying to let Stephen know he hasn’t been hitting on too many of his projections. If he is getting bad info I would find a new source. @MiamiChris also seems pretty confident We have zero shot at Lucas(also seems like he also knows the kid or someone close to the kid) so another conflicting report.

Advertisement
Any news on hasslewood? He actually wears canes gear and promotes our team unlike zip and summersll so I might actually believe a positive spin on his recruitment.

Any news on hasslewood? He actually wears canes gear and promotes our team unlike zip and summersll so I might actually believe a positive spin on his recruitment.
@Stefan Adams do we still have a shot at Eguakin? Weren’t we suppose to visit with him this week and he official the last weekend?

I thought you also said we were in a good spot with the tight end from Texas. You need some new sources.

🖕🏾

@Stefan Adams do we still have a shot at Eguakin? Weren’t we suppose to visit with him this week and he official the last weekend?

I thought you also said we were in a good spot with the tight end from Texas. You need some new sources.

First off, this is not meant to be gospel, and I'd like to see the person batting 1.000 in recruiting calls. It's meant to be a snapshot of how things are at that moment in time, with the knowledge that things could change in the next minute. Some were reporting Kingsley Eguakun had shut down his recruitment last week and would sign with Miami. Obviously they were ultimately "wrong", but were they wrong at the time? So, TIFWIW, put it into the context of what you already know/believe, and move on.

Secondly, there was no source nor did I ever say there was. I went by what the kid himself told me in by far the most Miami positive interview I have ever done. I also never predicted him to Miami or said Miami was leading or intimated he was a lock in any way. Just that UM was in a good spot, and gave the exact reasons of visit high wearing off/that TAMU had the final visit and could make up ground on their official, which they obviously did, as scenarios where he might not land at UM. Miami can be in a good spot and TAMU can be in a better spot. They aren't mutually exclusive.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back