Monday Recruiting Chatter - 1/28

View as article
Bost looks like a kid that will be 260-265 when he gets out of HS...Looks like after a year or two at the U he can kick inside on pass rushing situations as he has the frame to be 290.

Advertisement
Give people enough guidance to make the decisions you want them to make. Don't tell them what to do, but encourage them to do what is best.

https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/jimmy_johnson_394346

The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.

https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/jimmy_johnson_108520

There also an alleged JJ quote to the effect of, “You can come and play at the University of Miami and beat everyone, or you can play against us and watch us beat you.”

(This last one is not accurately quoted, whether it is factual or not.)

this year was never gonna be recruiting year that Miami got huge boost in recruit ranks. it is always gonna be 2020 with affects from new staff I expect a top 5 class especially if Miami wins 10 or more games then I could see a top 3 class in 2020
I don't expect a top 5 class. I hope for one but don't expect one. I've been following recruiting since the mid-80's and know that we don't attract--for whatever reason--marquee players.

We built our success on underrated but very good classes. We will probably continue to o have classes that disappoint many of you. These classes, however, will probably keep us competitive at the very highest level of CFB.

While so many say there is a strong correlation between recruiting the most elite players and competing for NCs I don't think that is a hard-and-fast rule. There are still a lot of underrated HS players and many kids progress more in a college program with better S&C and coaching.

All this highlights the hire of Fields as an on field coach. Its been said ad nauseam about his hand in the Oregon recruiting class. But it really can't be understated. He oversaw the whole dang class, and worked with arguably the best recruiter of all non-championship coaches in Cristobal. He is here for one reason and one reason only: FIX RECRUITING.

Everything ya'll are saying is legit. Its a problem.

We HOPE we took care of step one in getting a Coach that will let recruiters do what it takes to get the kids.

Step 2 is making us attractive again, which includes cool stuff on campus and a very big and hard to escape print on college football. We have had a decent run in January but this juice can't go away until we start working step 3 which is:

WINNING. end step 3.

And the whole way we need Fields to instill the process, procedure, mentality or whatever they had going on at Oregon and make it the norm here.

We need to hit this thing like a combo of Oregon this, changing the mentality and letting our recruiters be dogs, and Clemson when Dabo got there, getting the right players and the extra coaches to push the process along.

Diaz killed the Transfer market but he failed to close on recruiting. This is still going to be the worst class ever and Diaz really did not do anything to improve the quality of it. I'm guessing he's not that solid of a recruiter. Oh well I guess it's going to take wins for us to get recruits again

And you don't think those transfers had to be recruited by him?

Advertisement
Give people enough guidance to make the decisions you want them to make. Don't tell them what to do, but encourage them to do what is best.

https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/jimmy_johnson_394346

The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.

https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/jimmy_johnson_108520

There also an alleged JJ quote to the effect of, “You can come and play at the University of Miami and beat everyone, or you can play against us and watch us beat you.”

(This last one is not accurately quoted, whether it is factual or not.)
Another thing Jimmy did say, after losing some coveted blue-chips, including some to ND and FSU, that he'd rather take a lower-rated recruited who gets better and better every time he steps on the practice field than an elite recruit who never gets any better in college.

There are many examples of both in our history and the history of our two top rivals of that time: ND and FSU.

If I had time right now I'd give you some examples from that period when we fought a lot of recruiting battles with those two schools. We lost the recruiting battles but we generally won more than we lost on the field.

Another thing Jimmy did say, after losing some coveted blue-chips, including some to ND and FSU, that he'd rather take a lower-rated recruited who gets better and better every time he steps on the practice field than an elite recruit who never gets any better in college.

There are many examples of both in our history and the history of our two top rivals of that time: ND and FSU.

If I had time right now I'd give you some examples from that period when we fought a lot of recruiting battles with those two schools. We lost the recruiting battles but we generally won more than we lost on the field.
Please do share, I’m willing to wait. Loved JJ’s wit and confidence. Oh, what could’ve been...

Diaz killed the Transfer market but he failed to close on recruiting. This is still going to be the worst class ever and Diaz really did not do anything to improve the quality of it. I'm guessing he's not that solid of a recruiter. Oh well I guess it's going to take wins for us to get recruits again
Macknmiller--

How old are you?

Advertisement
I like Stefan and I think that the Analyst on this site are ELITE (Roman and Lance above all) but no scoop or reliable and steady sources on here.

Do not get me wrong, I'm perfectly good with this, I'm just stating facts.

Might take some time... Maybe Stef's source left with the mass exodus, whenever there is a regime change, people in the know likely change. The conspiracy theorist in me also thought when Manny stepped in he purposefully leaked names to certain individuals to see what news broke, that is a good way to find who is leaking info then cut them off.

Tell Person A it is Applewhite, tell Person B it is Enos, Applewhite news breaks, you know which person told.

I know this will get down voted now by mostly everyone, one day we may come back and look at this post and call u a prophet it always feels that way on here. Props for u not being scared to call **** out even if there a new staff in place.

But we do have to give him till 2020 to know for sure if hes about that life, we can have warning signs and red flags which is cool and ok but 2020 NSD will give us solid proof if he can close. We wont have to wait till that day we will see it throughout the cycle when kids announce early etc.
I can only agree with your second paragraph.

Please do share, I’m willing to wait. Loved JJ’s wit and confidence. Oh, what could’ve been...
Devon McDonald (ND--his less coveted twin Ricardo went to Pitt and I think came out a better player)

Derrick Brown -- best HS player in the country, TE from Merritt Island, went to ND and caught about 12 passes a year, became ordinary pro and disappeared into Oblivion.

Sterling Palmer -- first-off-the-bus DE from Ft. Lauderdale. Insisted on being a LB. Less than impressive at FSU. Pedestrian pro. (FSU seems to have a penchant for recruiting overrated LBs, all the way back to Keith Carter, Lamont Green, and that over-sized stiff LB a few years back. Lasted a year or two. Could hit like a truck but couldn't move.)

Another dud went to UF--OL Scott Joslyn. Lasted a year? USA Today First Team A-A.

We had our own USA Today Second Team A-A duds in Camerion Binion and Anthony Lewis.

Devon McDonald had more size than his twin brother and thus was more highly regarded. He would have flourished in the miami 4-3... He was solid at nd as a 3-4 rush olb

Advertisement
I agree but this one thing is about us not wanting him at RB for the last two years. So blame the staff or realize the position he wants to play wasn’t in consideration until a month ago. Blame who you want. Also players are willing to sit at Bama cause they are winning national championships. Players don’t go to 7-6 teams to sit.
Players who matter don’t go to 7-6 teams to sit because 7-6 teams have needs and holes. We shouldn’t be worried about kids who have to sit. Who is so good at UM that a kid who could go to Alabama would worry about? Alabama gets the No.1 RB in the country every dang year it seems.

As for MAR, I definitely don’t blame the new staff at all. This one has long roots.

I do think what happened here has happened waaaaaay too much for the past 17 years. Our staffs tell a kid where they want him too strongly, vs other programs that say come here and we’ll try you where you want. For top athletes, it’s crazy to turn them away because of position. We saw Richards as a safety. Okay. So what? He’s a recruit. It matters what he wants, too. Do we want to turn him away or let him try RB and the chips will fall where they fall?

We got Portis because UF wanted him at DB. We lost Marshall Faulk because we wanted him at DB. Get the best athletes. Stop chasing top kids away. JMO. Not on Manny. On Richt and prior staphs.

Devon McDonald (ND--his less coveted twin Ricardo went to Pitt and I think came out a better player)

Derrick Brown -- best HS player in the country, TE from Merritt Island, went to ND and caught about 12 passes a year, became ordinary pro and disappeared into Oblivion.

Sterling Palmer -- first-off-the-bus DE from Ft. Lauderdale. Insisted on being a LB. Less than impressive at FSU. Pedestrian pro. (FSU seems to have a penchant for recruiting overrated LBs, all the way back to Keith Carter, Lamont Green, and that over-sized stiff LB a few years back. Lasted a year or two. Could hit like a truck but couldn't move.)

Another dud went to UF--OL Scott Joslyn. Lasted a year? USA Today First Team A-A.

We had our own USA Today Second Team A-A duds in Camerion Binion and Anthony Lewis.
Appreciate it man. So, in your opinion, is it the process of identifying talent/recruits, or is it coaching after you get the kid? I know Schnelly and JJ could coach up 3* kids, but like you said, we had our own duds.

On a separate note, I know we have in MD, a coach who can coach up on D, and Enos at QB. I’m sure the rest of this staff is good too from what we know so far.

I know this will get down voted now by mostly everyone, one day we may come back and look at this post and call u a prophet it always feels that way on here. Props for u not being scared to call **** out even if there a new staff in place.

But we do have to give him till 2020 to know for sure if hes about that life, we can have warning signs and red flags which is cool and ok but 2020 NSD will give us solid proof if he can close. We wont have to wait till that day we will see it throughout the cycle when kids announce early etc.

Our recruits + our transfers would give us the 3rd ranked class in the nation if you use their 247 ratings. In other words we are bringing in Elite and Miami caliber guys that are older more mature , developed and game ready. Getting grad transfers for multiple years can do wonders for our program when bags get in the way. Mix that with the recruits that want to be here from Miami ( Lingard, Hall, Payton, Harvey types) and all of a sudden you cheated the bag game. I expect many of these transfers to make instant impact on the team and our team to upgrade from last year in multiple positions. That will lead to more wins than last year hopefully and a nice top5 category 20 class

Advertisement

Two of our best classes ever turned out to be two of our worst (2002 and 2008). We won't know how this class stacks up for two to three years from now.

Lmao got some clown on here calling this post prophetic? How much of a prophet do you need to be to say a class ranked in the 30’s a bad class? Really is some idiots on here

If you were expecting Diaz and the new staff to create miracles with this class in a few weeks, not including transfers, you probably weren't being very realistic. And, if you're judging this staff's overall recruiting prowess over the lack of said miracle, you're just kidding yourself.

lol this ninna just really said a coach is a bad recruiter after landing a bunch of dudes (transfers are recruits too) after the team went 7-6 and got whooped in a bowl game to a bunch of white farm dudes.

Advertisement
Back