Momentum

ball915

All-American
An area we continue to struggle with is learning how to play with momentum. As bad as we played on Saturday, we scored an incredible TD with Allen's stellar run and on the next play Kichens scores on a Pick Six. Good teams find a way to create separation from inferior teams, especially when having all of the momentum. We gave up a 15 play 6.5 minute drive sucking all of the momentum out of us. Something we need to learn how to do is to keep our foot on their neck when we put ourselves in position to. Learning how to bury teams is an acquired skill and we continue to let inferior teams hang around. NCSt is another team we should win against on paper but after back to back emotional overtime wins can only wonder how much is left in the tank to avoid the upset. We need to start fast and not let them linger.

Advertisement
I also hate how we don't go uptempo after we get some good things going on offense. Especially with a rhythm QB like TVD. You make a big throw or get a big run and go uptempo to continue to put pressure on the defense.

This is basic stuff you see from just about every decent offense and yet, I feel like I've rarely ever seen that.

An area we continue to struggle with is learning how to play with momentum. As bad as we played on Saturday, we scored an incredible TD with Allen's stellar run and on the next play Kichens scores on a Pick Six. Good teams find a way to create separation from inferior teams, especially when having all of the momentum. We gave up a 15 play 6.5 minute drive sucking all of the momentum out of us. Something we need to learn how to do is to keep our foot on their neck when we put ourselves in position to. Learning how to bury teams is an acquired skill and we continue to let inferior teams hang around. NCSt is another team we should win against on paper but after back to back emotional overtime wins can only wonder how much is left in the tank to avoid the upset. We need to start fast and not let them linger.
I feel we rode the momentum vs TAMU and it was fairly refreshing to see, but yeah, agree with what you've said.

Do you have to let it linger?
Do you have to, do you have to, do you have to let it linger?

Advertisement
Epic point 🎯 , we need to learn once you penetrate the knife you twist it and shove it deeper.

Tremendous post one never explored before

We have to learn to have a feeding frenzy , you can never have enough momentum you only hit new heights of momentum it raises your game.

This is a problem we have we score on go GREAT and that’s it .

Miami Dolphins had feeding frenzy against Denver hit 70 points and we all saw it could have been even higher offensively and defensively even special teams.

GOCANES

I also hate how we don't go uptempo after we get some good things going on offense. Especially with a rhythm QB like TVD. You make a big throw or get a big run and go uptempo to continue to put pressure on the defense.

This is basic stuff you see from just about every decent offense and yet, I feel like I've rarely ever seen that

Exactly. Most teams pop a big play and line up to run another play immediately. Why give the defense a chance to regain their bearings and substitute? We operate at a snail's pace too often.

TBH Yes. 💯. I’ve seen us do it, been a few games.

I Agree but 9 has been so erratic . Especially against zone, simple zones at that. But what if…

Hypothetically speaking…

The easiest thing to do on defense is regroup into a base call. If I know that QB struggles against split safeties and I want him to paper cut it all the way up the field… Wouldn’t it be easier to base my gameplan and situational calls around splitting safeties and dropping deep? Keep everything in front, until the red zone etc…

If the QB was patient and took the 4-5 yards and paper cut all the way up that would be more likely to force me to mix up coverages which could then cause more mix ups pre snap, no?

Advertisement
Advertisement
I think it all boils down to TVD. We played A&M he had confidence. Dawson took shots to end the game. Threw the football all over the field. I'm sure Mario and Dawson are like me you can tell when TVD is about to have a bad game and isn't reading the field. UNC, GT, UVA and MTSU. Once he starts throwing picks it's no saving him. Every time he went down field I was nervous so I can understand why they got conservative. It's demoralizing for a defense after awhile. It will be interesting to see if NC State decides to continue playing man to man or switch it to zone.

Advertisement
this team has yet to play to their full potential. This is a 7-1 team really and yet with injuries mistakes and penalties they’ve survived come from behind wins.

Advertisement
Back