Mohamed Berry update

They offered Barry and Brightwell at roughly the same time, right? It was mentioned in The Work that the staff viewed both of them as higher priorities than Talan, which explained why they didn't offer the local player most of us preferred. But then why waste time recruiting them at all and hosting them for OVs if they weren't in the picture (Barry) or given a committable offer (Brightwell)?

There's no other LB we're seemingly pursuing, even though we're only adding Perry (stud) and Gordinier (slow DE/OLB tweener) despite a glaring lack of depth at the position.

It's so strange...

How many backs do we really need though?...

We have
1.Kirby
2.Grace
3.Owens
4,Young
5,Smith
6,McCray
7,Perry
8,Gordinier
9.McCord is rumored to be playing Sam linebacker as well
10. Gayot
It's not a pressing need as everyone say it is. This is very telling how the staff feels about the 2016 linebacker class imo... They are extremely confident in their abilities

I have serious doubt how McCray and Smith are going to fit into this defense. They were both better in HS rushing the passer then playing space. That is why the McCord rumor is scary. In a normal 3-4 D the idea of AQM and McCord opposite of each other would be very intriguing but not in our scheme. The thought of McCord roaming in space doesn't give me a warm feeling.

True 3 down LBs we have Kirby, Grace, Owens, Young, Perry. If Gayot can transition then him too. That isn't a lot of depth at all. If we have an injury or two to the Kirby, Grace, Owens, Young (who we know nothing about) group, it could get really ugly.

We have seen what McCord can do in space and it ain't pretty. Really needs to be rushing the passer

Advertisement
Special teams is going to suffer as well with the lack of depth at linebacker. I'm sure Al will find new excuses as to why HIS unit will continue to underperform because of the lack of depth.

Mohamed Barry called the decision between Nebraska and Miami difficult and said it came down to closest of margins, but it was the presence of Mike Riley in his living room, interacting with his family that made all of the difference between the two schools.

“That was a big deal and they didn’t know it but that was going to be the deciding factor,” he said. “My mom liked Al Golden but she just liked Mike Riley better. He’s just down to Earth. He had conversations with my little sister and that just meant a lot. It’s like he wanted to do it. That’s just how he is and how he is made. I know the university hired a good coach with him. He’s the man I want to play for and the man I want to give my all to.”

Barry, who announced his decision on Twitter, said he called linebackers coach Trent Bray to let him know the decision. He got the response he was hoping for from his future coach.

“The first coach was Bray,” Barry said. “He was jacked up. He’s a cool dude. I can’t even describe what he was like."

Barry said he knew on his visit to Nebraska that it would be tough to see himself playing anywhere else. The linebacker said he felt an immediate connection in Lincoln with the other commitments and with all the people he met.

“It’s just a perfect fit,” he said. “I had a great time on the visit. It was my favorite visit. I just liked the people. I felt like I was already part of the team. That’s why it was my favorite visit. I didn’t feel like anyone was stuck up or acting too good. They were just my kind of people. I’ve got a big brother now in AJ Bush. I’ve already got my roommates with Willie Sykes, Daishon Neal and Tyrin Ferguson. We are going to bring something to the defense that Nebraska hasn’t seen in a long time."

Nebraska now has three linebackers in its class with Barry, Tyrin Ferguson and Dedrick Young.

Advertisement
So the last two LBs that visited here were guys Miami didn't really want? We just handed out trips like we're make-a-wish?

At some point you gotta realize when you're being used to get out a message.

A trip does not automatically mean you offer. Sometimes you offer trips to guys you might offer.

What the story is/was with Brightwell/Berry, we don't know. Except like a bunch of hysterical ladies we all assume stuff. Either things are proceeding according to some plan, or they are going chaotically and on the verge of "copplapse." Who knows what Pete means by "Barry never in the picture." Does that mean he was being slow-played by us, or that he was never that serious about us?

Shaq Quarterman, Zach McCloud, Mike Pickney, and hopefully Donovan Thompson coming in 2016

People were saying that DT wasn't a take by the staff but at this point I don't see how we cant bring in at least 5 LBs next year.

And as long as Shaq stays committed I don't think the other two go anywhere. He is the straw. And Im not just saying that because his pops posts here either.

Advertisement
So the last two LBs that visited here were guys Miami didn't really want? We just handed out trips like we're make-a-wish?

At some point you gotta realize when you're being used to get out a message.

A trip does not automatically mean you offer. Sometimes you offer trips to guys you might offer.

What the story is/was with Brightwell/Berry, we don't know. Except like a bunch of hysterical ladies we all assume stuff. Either things are proceeding according to some plan, or they are going chaotically and on the verge of "copplapse." Who knows what Pete means by "Barry never in the picture." Does that mean he was being slow-played by us, or that he was never that serious about us?

They were reported to have offers. Pete didn't denounce those claims until after they committed to other places. Maybe they've been good with just bringing in Perry as the only true LB in this class since Coney did the obvious and chose ND. They foolishly think Houston is coming here. They have a secret commit who hasn't visited or they're just lying and using Pete to do it.

Cant wait till someone destroys barry on a block the guy hates are fans he keeps posting **** nebraska stadium husker fans

Advertisement
Back