Modern Play Calling

SPAMM

Redshirt Freshman
Because the existing threads are incessantly insipid, I hope to learn something from our experts. With the talk of looking to the sidelines and check with me, I have a question, now that a coach no longer whispers into the ear of a running back and sends him into the huddle, how does the quarterback and the other ten players receive plays now? Wristbands and numbers or somewhat simple to understand, but even in that case, how do others know the play with no huddle. Same question about the wacky hand signals and the funny "billboards" some teams use. Could some of our more knowledgable fans help us unitiated and provide a useful diversion from the daily grind?

Advertisement
Because the existing threads are incessantly insipid, I hope to learn something from our experts. With the talk of looking to the sidelines and check with me, I have a question, now that a coach no longer whispers into the ear of a running back and sends him into the huddle, how does the quarterback and the other ten players receive plays now? Wristbands and numbers or somewhat simple to understand, but even in that case, how do others know the play with no huddle. Same question about the wacky hand signals and the funny "billboards" some teams use. Could some of our more knowledgable fans help us unitiated and provide a useful diversion from the daily grind?
Hand signals or some teams use images on boards to signify the play they want run.

You kinda answered your own question, lol. Hand signals, play cards or "billboards", wristbands, and code words. With one word, everyone on O, will know what play is called and to what side we're running it. For example, in the Tony Franklin system, you will hear the offensive players yell. "Zorro" for Inside Zone Rt. and "Zulu" for Inside Zone Lft. Hand signals are the preferred method of many. Some teams will have 2-3 guys doing signals to confuse the opposing teams. Only 1 of the 3 will be the "Hot" guy (The one that the kids are actually looking at). Sometimes teams will change the "Hot" guy during the game. SOme teams will have one guy signaling plays to the OL, and the other guy signalling in formations and plays to the rest of the guys. Also with the advent of RPO's, teams now will use the same blocking scheme for a running play or a pass plays (RPO). This **** has changed the game. So let's say an offense gets the signal for a Power to the right side of the formation (run). Well as far as the OL is concerned that's the ONLY play that we're running, so thats what were blocking. During this play, the QB is reading the "box" LB thats aligned to the side of the RB. If that LB sits we give the ball to the RB going to the right following the pulling Guard. Well, if the "read" LB (the box LB that we're keying) gets too smart or greedy and leaves his area too fast. or blitzes his gap, The QB immediately pulls the ball and hit the inside slot WR on a quick slant (he's instructed to run his route where the "read" LB left from. To the OL, they're still running the Power play. The key though is that QB has to make his read really fast before an OL gets upfield. That's just one example. It's **** near unfair to the Defense. This is why it's sooo **** hard to shut offenses down, nowadays.

Last edited:
The boards are more of a distraction, they are only used a small percentage of time.

But the most common way is to have multiple signals going on and only 1 signer being the live sign. And they switch this over almost every quarter.

The other way is each position group gets a their own signals. So that way 3 different signs are going on but its all the same play.

It's important to vary you signs and people. Manny's last year FSU stole his signs on that last drive and knew if the LB was blitzing or dropping and they adjusted based on his signs.

You kinda answered your own question, lol. Hand signals, play cards or "billboards", wristbands, and code words. With one word, everyone on O, will know what play is called and to what side we're running it. For example, in the Tony Franklin system, you will hear the offensive players yell. "Zorro" for Inside Zone Rt. and "Zulu" for Inside Zone Lft. Hand signals are the preferred method of many. Some teams will have 2-3 guys doing signals to confuse the opposing teams. Only 1 of the 3 will be the "Hot" guy (The one that the kids are actually looking at). Sometimes teams will change the "Hot" guy during the game. SOme teams will have one guy signaling plays to the OL, and the other guy signalling in formations and plays to the rest of the guys. Also with the advent of RPO's, teams now will use the same blocking scheme for a running play or a pass plays (RPO). This **** has changed the game. So let's say an offense gets the signal for a Power to the right side of the formation (run). Well as far as the OL is concerned that's the ONLY play that we're running, so thats what were blocking. During this play, the QB is reading the "box" LB thats aligned to the side of the RB. If that LB sits we give the ball to the RB going to the right following the pulling Guard. Well, if the "read" LB (the box LB that we're keying) gets too smart or greedy and leaves his area too fast. or blitzes his gap, The QB immediately pulls the ball and hit the inside slot WR on a quick slant (he's instructed to run his route where the "read" LB left from. To the OL, they're still running the Power play. The key though is that QB has to make his read really fast before an OL gets upfield. That's just one example. It's **** near unfair to the Defense. This is why it's sooo **** hard to shut offenses down, nowadays.
Great answer so everyone has to learn the signs. Why did colleges not go the route of QB earphones? Do the signals indicate a specific play so receivers know the routes? Why happens in hurryup? Thanks

Advertisement
Great answer so everyone has to learn the signs. Why did colleges not go the route of QB earphones? Do the signals indicate a specific play so receivers know the routes? Why happens in hurryup? Thanks
They should go the route of the earphones. Heard the technology is fairly inexpensive.

So route combos can be "named" a ton of different ways. It can be a number system, you can name each specific route in the play (NFL and west coast method), a codename can designate the play/concept as a hole (we ran a 3 vert concept and called it seahawk; and every player learned their route for that name).

In hurry up a lot of times they go to a 1 word call. Like Greyhound would tell the players, the formation, motion and play with just 1 word.

There are a ton of different ways to skin a cat. (never got this phrase)

I hate the check with me but if your QB is incapable of making adjustments on his own what are you going to do. The most frustrating thing is to watch them check just to switch to a run up the middle for a yard every time.

I prefer the wristband. The nonsense that goes on during play calling is like a bad Broadway production. Multiple people waving their hands, big boards with colorful gobbledygook and multiple people holding up curtains to block the views.

Just keep it simple

A couple of years ago Dr. Phillips would have a turbo package, where the players would line up based on which hash they were on and have designated plays for those formations. This is a great little change up during a game.

We also had a code word where we would run 4 plays back to back. It was all the same formation and each played played off each other (IZ, OZ

I hate the check with me but if your QB is incapable of making adjustments on his own what are you going to do. The most frustrating thing is to watch them check just to switch to a run up the middle for a yard every time.

I prefer the wristband. The nonsense that goes on during play calling is like a bad Broadway production. Multiple people waving their hands, big boards with colorful gobbledygook and multiple people holding up curtains to block the views.

Just keep it simple
Rich Rod was one of the first people to do this at WVU and he would say "I don't want to trust my mortgage payment to someone who still watches cartoons"

You'll be surprised how many times the wrong play got read on a wristband. Especially on a Friday night at some country school with bad lights and deep in the tight game.

Advertisement
Rich Rod was one of the first people to do this at WVU and he would say "I don't want to trust my mortgage payment to someone who still watches cartoons"

You'll be surprised how many times the wrong play got read on a wristband. Especially on a Friday night at some country school with bad lights and deep in the tight game.
There is always the potential for the QB to make a mess of it no matter how the play is received.

The O is only going to run as well as the QB running it.

1. YES
2. My opinion is that because everyone can't afford them. The big schools would have no problems getting the technology, it's the small schools on the schedule that depend on the money from the big schools, just to break even, or to buy equipment, that would have problems getting what was needed.... and/or there is nobody to check to make sure that there were no cheating going on. All that stuff would take more money.
3. In a spread offense, the WRs know their routes. There are very few "Option Routes". In the NFL there are TONS of option routes. A lot of spread teams teach their offenses in "concepts" so that its easier to learn. Since a lot of these kids play in spread offenses in high school, it makes learning them very easy. So for instance (I'm a Franklin guy) if I signal in a play like, "Ace Y Shallow" all four WR's and the QB should know exactly where they should go. The QB is taught from DAY 1, that anytime he hears "Shallow", his progressions are "Fade, Shallow, Dig, Shoot". The QB has said this to himself a million times. So when he gets the ball even when he's running ROA (Routes On Air), his eyes and feet must set as if he's looking at each of those routes.... as he's saying the routes out loud. So Y Shallow goes like this. "Pre snap" can I take the Fade? No, then at snap, I'm looking at where the Y (shallow route) is coming. If I see empty space, (means man to man) I'm throwing it there. If I see an opposing jersey in that area, (don't throw it, unless I hate my Y receiver, or my name is Dak Prescott, lol!) my eyes go to the H "Dig" (10yd and in behind LB), If I see an open window, throw it there. If its cloudy, I'm going immediately to my RB in the flat "Shoot". It's repped hundreds of times from any formation. Those kids always have the same routes.... unless you change who runs the shallow. But for the QB there will always be some WR that is responsible for being in the same areas.
4. In a spread system, your entire game plan is predicated on hurry up, so you do what you always do, just do it faster, lol. The spread was created from a 2 min offense. So now, your "Ace Y Shallow" just becomes "Shallow". Most coaches will reduce their verbage and their playbook in hurry up situations so they can go faster. one formation, one screen, all verts, mesh or shallow, one run, and a deep concept like "smash". So thats one formation and 5 plays. Hope this helps.

A couple of years ago Dr. Phillips would have a turbo package, where the players would line up based on which hash they were on and have designated plays for those formations. This is a great little change up during a game.

We also had a code word where we would run 4 plays back to back. It was all the same formation and each played played off each other (IZ, OZ
Ours was called "Nascar". We would go from fast, to really **** fast. lol.

They should go the route of the earphones. Heard the technology is fairly inexpensive.

So route combos can be "named" a ton of different ways. It can be a number system, you can name each specific route in the play (NFL and west coast method), a codename can designate the play/concept as a hole (we ran a 3 vert concept and called it seahawk; and every player learned their route for that name).

In hurry up a lot of times they go to a 1 word call. Like Greyhound would tell the players, the formation, motion and play with just 1 word.

There are a ton of different ways to skin a cat. (never got this phrase)
Never understood the phrase, "Different ways to skin a cat?"

Gather up a dozen cats - and give me a ring.

I'll show you.

Oh - Coffee's on you. (Won't take long.)

Advertisement
Similar to what we'd do. 1 word or signal indicates formation and ensures correct personnel are on field. 1 word or hand sign for play or sometimes 2 plays in any option situation.

Ours was called "Nascar". We would go from fast, to really **** fast. lol.
Nascar to us was a one play hurry up. Right after a big play would nascar and get in 2x2 and run IZ with the bubble.

My favorite was Racehorse. We lined up in 2x2 and ran our shallow series (ran shallow X, H, Y, Z, and F) we normally would score by the 3rd play in that series.

(love talking ball)

Advertisement
Nascar to us was a one play hurry up. Right after a big play would nascar and get in 2x2 and run IZ with the bubble.

My favorite was Racehorse. We lined up in 2x2 and ran our shallow series (ran shallow X, H, Y, Z, and F) we normally would score by the 3rd play in that series.

(love talking ball)
Good ****!

1. YES
2. My opinion is that because everyone can't afford them. The big schools would have no problems getting the technology, it's the small schools on the schedule that depend on the money from the big schools, just to break even, or to buy equipment, that would have problems getting what was needed.... and/or there is nobody to check to make sure that there were no cheating going on. All that stuff would take more money.
3. In a spread offense, the WRs know their routes. There are very few "Option Routes". In the NFL there are TONS of option routes. A lot of spread teams teach their offenses in "concepts" so that its easier to learn. Since a lot of these kids play in spread offenses in high school, it makes learning them very easy. So for instance (I'm a Franklin guy) if I signal in a play like, "Ace Y Shallow" all four WR's and the QB should know exactly where they should go. The QB is taught from DAY 1, that anytime he hears "Shallow", his progressions are "Fade, Shallow, Dig, Shoot". The QB has said this to himself a million times. So when he gets the ball even when he's running ROA (Routes On Air), his eyes and feet must set as if he's looking at each of those routes.... as he's saying the routes out loud. So Y Shallow goes like this. "Pre snap" can I take the Fade? No, then at snap, I'm looking at where the Y (shallow route) is coming. If I see empty space, (means man to man) I'm throwing it there. If I see an opposing jersey in that area, (don't throw it, unless I hate my Y receiver, or my name is Dak Prescott, lol!) my eyes go to the H "Dig" (10yd and in behind LB), If I see an open window, throw it there. If its cloudy, I'm going immediately to my RB in the flat "Shoot". It's repped hundreds of times from any formation. Those kids always have the same routes.... unless you change who runs the shallow. But for the QB there will always be some WR that is responsible for being in the same areas.
4. In a spread system, your entire game plan is predicated on hurry up, so you do what you always do, just do it faster, lol. The spread was created from a 2 min offense. So now, your "Ace Y Shallow" just becomes "Shallow". Most coaches will reduce their verbage and their playbook in hurry up situations so they can go faster. one formation, one screen, all verts, mesh or shallow, one run, and a deep concept like "smash". So thats one formation and 5 plays. Hope this helps.
I am guessing you got your knowledge from other than playing Madden

Breaking new ground here.

Love it, keep going.

Advertisement
Back