MNW WR Rogers shines at Rivals Miami, talks UM

Advertisement
How’s his recruitment going
It’s going great with some good people in his corner he really have gotten a chance to show off his skill set a baller he is definitely that you see what his cousin Mark Walton did at the U and What his cousin Eli Rogers did at Louisville imagine what the Lil speedster can do where ever he go he going to be very productive

Advertisement
How many slot receivers do you want?
Your point about the position is valid. But after so many years of unproductive wide receivers I am willing to take production over prototypical measurements any day.
As a comparison, would you rather take someone like this guy or Mark Pope, a 7-on-7/camp created 5 star with height and speed and everything except the ability to consistently produce?
I want players like Restrepo and this young man. Just as I was happy with Berrios. I put this guy into that category.

I talked about the size fetish thing in another thread. We've always done well with smaller WRs going back to Brett Perriman and JC Penny and Kevin Williams up through Santana and Roscoe and Sinorice and now Harley, but our coaches get hard ons for guys like Jeremiah Payton and, potentially, pass on a guys like this. Randy Shannon used to do it with LBs and DBs and it drove me nuts. Golden too actually. Enough with the size queen sh*t. It makes sense in the trenches but plenty of small skill position guys can thrive at this level.

Your point about the position is valid. But after so many years of unproductive wide receivers I am willing to take production over prototypical measurements any day.
As a comparison, would you rather take someone like this guy or Mark Pope, a 7-on-7/camp created 5 star with height and speed and everything except the ability to consistently produce?
I want players like Restrepo and this young man. Just as I was happy with Berrios. I put this guy into that category.
Smaller guys can play on the outside at this level.

It’s going great with some good people in his corner he really have gotten a chance to show off his skill set a baller he is definitely that you see what his cousin Mark Walton did at the U and What his cousin Eli Rogers did at Louisville imagine what the Lil speedster can do where ever he go he going to be very productive
Yeah Eli would have been a stud here playing in this offense that Lashlee runs

I think he is a kid we need to take every class at WR a super shifty slot kid with speed... I mean look at mike Harley I think their similar comparisons and he killed it last year with a career year (minus a couple of games due to covid no less)

Advertisement
Yeah Eli would have been a stud here playing in this offense that Lashlee runs

I think he is a kid we need to take every class at WR a super shifty slot kid with speed... I mean look at mike Harley I think their similar comparisons and he killed it last year with a career year (minus a couple of games due to covid no less)
Absolutely true I see some similarities as well think about when the kid get in the school and get under a more stricter weight training he definitely will pack on more weight and muscle

No shot this kid should be a take. He's not even a take at Louisville or Syracuse as of right now.

This kid’s mindset is one that we need in the WR room. Speed/hands are nothing without confidence, look at 6 & 8

Advertisement
While I don't know this (and don't really feel like doing the research), I have to imagine within a few years we'll be the only school with three WR's in the Hall.

Not that it was very good before, but the combo of Dugans and 'Lil Richt set back the WR room about a decade.
Evals and closing have set this program back decades

No shot this kid should be a take. He's not even a take at Louisville or Syracuse as of right now.

Here's how a board needs to be built:
1. Use your network to get as many potential kids into the top of the funnel as possible.
2. Have your recruiting staff (non-field coaches) take a first pass at the kids you've never heard of. Via social and highlights to kick things off. Miami pays for film services, so this should be easily accessible to them.
3. Combine the pre-screened unknowns with the no-screen-needed well-knowns for your field coaches to evaluate
3a. In person and highlights for the top names
3b. Highlights for the secondary names
4. Any kid that passes the evals gets an offer and an invitation to join visit the school and participate in summer camps
5. Screened kids that attend camps get a private workout as "final round interviews". If they pass that, then you recruit the living crap out of them.

Somewhere between 4 and 5, the staff also needs to start assessing character. Talking to coaches, mentors, other people who have played with or otherwise know the recruits and can vouch for them. Also start tracking their social media to make sure they're not third-rail types. Toss out the really bad apples.

That's your board. At no point in the above do Louisville or Syracuse matter, except maybe providing some names to add to the top of the funnel. Net, net idgaf who other programs offer or don't offer. I care about Miami coaches making proper evals.

Man we say this every year. Not a plan A guy.
Befroe we can worry about hitting on stars I would at least like to recruit some more Mike Harley types who have productive careers at UM and a shot at the NFL I‘saw confident that teams win a lot more games with Harley than Jeff Thomas. That guy gives you some highlights and that’s about it.
I also want the Amari Coopers and Devonta Smiths of the world. But before Bama had those guys they had to learn to win with productive players. And once the team won consistently that attracted a higher level of recruit.
If this guy produces, not in 7 on 7 but in actual games, make him a priority. And the same is true for others like him who so many seem to think grow on trees in S Fla.
Understand the point of your post, but Alabama signed Julio Jones during Saban’s first recruiting class during a 7-6 season. We don’t sign Julio Jones when we go 10-3.

Advertisement
I like the kid as a slot receiver specifically. The problem is he would be coming in behind Xavier and Breshard, so yeah, kinda tough spot.

He's almost identical in size to Jacoby but he's much faster. I guess, like some of you, I would love to know what our criteria is when selecting which HS WRs to offer?

Man we say this every year. Not a plan A guy.
Befroe we can worry about hitting on stars I would at least like to recruit some more Mike Harley types who have productive careers at UM and a shot at the NFL I‘saw confident that teams win a lot more games with Harley than Jeff Thomas. That guy gives you some highlights and that’s about it.
I also want the Amari Coopers and Devonta Smiths of the world. But before Bama had those guys they had to learn to win with productive players. And once the team won consistently that attracted a higher level of recruit.
If this guy produces, not in 7 on 7 but in actual games, make him a priority. And the same is true for others like him who so many seem to think grow on trees in S Fla.
Good call: I remember when we passed on Elijah Moore : kid might go in the first round

I recall similar concerns about size with a guy named Roscoe Parrish (who was actually a tad smaller) and he turned out ok. :noidea:

Advertisement
Back