MLBU?

Yasmani Grandal Debut? He's been in the big leagues for a minute. He was LA's starting catcher last year and most of the season before that. The two that LA went to the world series. Yonder Alonso has bounced around a bunch but he's pretty much the starter wherever he goes. He almost made the All-Star team 2-3 years ago I believe when he was in Oakland. Jon Jay also bounces around alot and came out of Miami like 12 years ago but is an impact player and a very consistent hitter everywhere he goes.

Miami's biggest problem is with the guys that are studs that commit but then get drafted super high and end up going straight to the Pro's. Manny Machado, Carlos Correa, Albertico Almora Jr. are some of the most notable guys I can think of off the top of my head who committed to Miami but ended up going high in the draft and went straight. Way back, Chipper Jones did the same thing.

Machado was an FIU commit but I get your point. Seems like Miami loses a higher percentages of high draft picks relative to other schools (Vandy is one that comes to mind).

Advertisement
Machado was an FIU commit but I get your point. Seems like Miami loses a higher percentages of high draft picks relative to other schools (Vandy is one that comes to mind).
That FIU commitment wasn't going to last. The top talent in Miami that has the opportunity to play for Miami will unless they go high in the draft. The best guys who don't have that chance, go to FIU. Not knocking FIU, they have some studs too. SoFla has a ton of baseball talent. At the time, Turtle Thomas was the HC for FIU and was saying he was going to recreate what he did at LSU and UM at FIU. I played against Manny in HS. Pitched against him. He knew he was going high in the draft, everyone was calling him the next ARod. Wasn't even a question.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back