Minnesotta offers $10 seat to fill stadium

The $30 parking is atrocious, its highway robbery. For the lower tier opponents in the OB, I could pay $5 for no blockie. When they filled up my section with free ticket holders last year, that was my last straw. I am still with the HC club and give to UM, but I get my tickets off StubHub and save a ton of money by cherry picking.

Yeah when I had to pay $30 for the cash parking I said to myself, "I'm better off taking a cab. It may cost the same but I don't have to worry about driving home drunk".

Went to the Miami vs GT game last year down in Miami and this is exactly what I did. It was great!

Taking a cab there is easy, but how do you get home?

Advertisement
It's not even so much the outrageous price for parking at JRS that ****es me off as much as the idea of paying 3 or 4x the price of a ticket to park my car. In other words if the Canes were a hot ticket that was going for $100 a pop, 30 to park doesn't seem so bad. But when a game ticket is running for 5 or 10 bucks, paying so much to park just seems ridiculous.

It's not even so much the outrageous price for parking at JRS that ****es me off as much as the idea of paying 3 or 4x the price of a ticket to park my car. In other words if the Canes were a hot ticket that was going for $100 a pop, 30 to park doesn't seem so bad. But when a game ticket is running for 5 or 10 bucks, paying so much to park just seems ridiculous.
Tickets for road games run MUCH steeper than that. The GT tix are $45 apiece. I paid $75/ticket for the FSU game in Tally last year. I pay 10 bucks to go watch my alma mater (a small VA NAIA college) play football, and I can't complain about the price too bad.

See--this is what I'm talking about. If Canes fans from all around the country don't care to spend a little (actually, a lot) extra to go to road games and raise a little **** in hostile territory on the Canes' behalf, then the home fans complaining about $30 parking and $5-10 tickets have ZERO room to complain.

Raw numbers we're talking here...

Dedicated road fan going to GT:

Hotel: 110/night x2 nights = Approx $250 after taxes.
Tix: $45/seat
Airfare: Approximate at $200 for a flight, could be higher/lower.
Food/drinks: Be conservative over a weekend and call it $100.
Rental Car: Per Day on sale, let's low-ball at $30/day.

$250 + $45 + $200 + $100 + $60 = $655 for the trip.

By comparison, One home fan's costs:

Gas to drive to and from stadium (give credit for full tank on big vehicle): $60
Food/Drink: $50
Tailgating supplies: Call it another $100 (including booze, grill supplies, food, misc tailgating stuff).
Parking: $30
Ticket: $5-10, call it $10.

$60 + $50 + $100 + $30 + $10 = $250 on gameday.

So...we're complaining about $250/person per home game versus $655/person per road game. You could feasibly go to 3 home games, set yourself up and have a BLAST, and for a more expensive roadie--STILL not spend enough to match what another fan spent on 1 away game.

Does anyone else not see how petty, childish, and stupid complaining about home game prices are now?

Last edited:
30 dollars for B-CC is absurd. Bottom line. And it's really not up to you, or anybody else, to judge what is a good enough "excuse" to miss a canes game.
If there's $30 standing between you and watching the Canes play, I understand that there's financial hardship there and there's no reason for you to go to the game at that point. Otherwise, $30 for parking, while high, shouldn't stand in the way of going to watch the Canes play at home IF you can afford it. It's a crap excuse.

The ONLY reason I'm not going to GT is because I can't get off from work. Otherwise, I already had the tix, hotel, and finances planned out to go since back in May or so. I'm even buying a parking pass for a structure by the stadium to tailgate in that's $15 (must sound like a bargain to you).

What I find hilarious is that almost all the VA Canes I know make UVA or VT when we play, most of them make the games down around North Carolina (Wake, UNC, NCSU, Duke), and most of the ones I know try to make at least 1 home game a year as well. I've never heard them bytch about $30 parking.

Dude--I know folks from Jeannette, PA who are driving to Pittsburgh to catch a flight and come down for the GT game this weekend. I could be mistaken, but I've never heard of a $30 or less flight from Pitt to Atlanta. I've not heard any belly-aching over the price to go watch the Canes play.

There's another guy I know who drove solo from facking Independence, KS a few years ago to Jeannette to crash with those aforementioned folks JUST SO he could go to the Miami/Pitt game. 16 hours.

And yet--there are folks who sit at home within an hour's drive from the stadium, who's excuses to not go are as follows:

1) Miami's an event city, if Miami's not big I'm not going
2) Parking is $30
3) Atmosphere sucks

Well guess what?

1) If Miami's your team, and you're able to--go watch them play. Period. It's called being a loyal fan.
2) $30 parking is steep, but not a big price to pay to go hang with your fellow Canes fans and to watch the Canes play.
3) The Atmosphere sucks not because of Sun Life or a "sterile" environment compared to the OB...what made the OB was the smaller size and packing fans in that joint to make the atmosphere electric and crazy!!! Pack as many crazy-*** fans as possible into Sun Life who don't care about how sterile it is, and see if the atmosphere doesn't improve. The stadium might not be a smaller college stadium like the OB was, but if the fans all show up in mass numbers w/the right mindset--it can be wild and intimidating again. THAT PART IS UP TO THE FANS.

I already give 40 thousand dollars to UM a year. I really don't need to hear some guy in Virginia writing a newspaper article on how to be a 'loyal fan' and coming up with his own fandom rules and exceptions.

I paid 10 dollars last week for a ticket. And 3x that for parking. It's a ripoff and the gameday experience sucks.

How about you actually fly down to South Florida and watch the 'Canes play at their home opener nstead of going to the bigger GT game? Some awesome fan you are. And no, Sun Life will never be 'wild and intimidating.' It's a ****** stadium.

Last edited:
I already give 40 thousand dollars to UM a year. I really don't need to hear some guy in Virginia writing a newspaper article on how to be a 'loyal fan' and coming up with his own fandom rules and exceptions.

I paid 10 dollars last week for a ticket. And 3x that for parking. It's a ripoff and the gameday experience sucks.
If you're bitter that your $40K donation (which is impressive and commendable--honestly have to say, and thank you for giving to the university in a big way), doesn't give you free access to tickets and parking, or at least the clout and say-so to change the prices of it...then all I can say is that's just tough. Suck it up, buttercup.

It's up to the home fans to make the gameday experience better. Give your local folks a little friendly **** who don't go to the games you go to. Let them know that they should be there cheering on the Canes like you are. Maybe they'll bite the bullet and eventually come with you and the atmosphere will be better.

Seriously--the disparity in the ticket price and parking is a nice thing to complain about, but what about the other guy in this thread who would pay $100 for a ticket and be OK with $30 parking in comparison? How nuts is that?

If you want to go to a Canes game, parking is $30 and the ticket is $10. Those are the prices. Either you want to pay them, or you don't. It's your money. But when you've got away game warriors going to 3-4 or more road games each year and creating a much better atmosphere in our little away section than the home fans currently are in all of Sun Life--the home fans ought to be ashamed to complain about such trivial things in comparison...that's my point.

Advertisement

If you're bitter that your $40K donation (which is impressive and commendable--honestly have to say, and thank you for giving to the university in a big way), doesn't give you free access to tickets and parking, or at least the clout and say-so to change the prices of it...then all I can say is that's just tough. Suck it up, buttercup.

It's up to the home fans to make the gameday experience better. Give your local folks a little friendly **** who don't go to the games you go to. Let them know that they should be there cheering on the Canes like you are. Maybe they'll bite the bullet and eventually come with you and the atmosphere will be better.

Seriously--the disparity in the ticket price and parking is a nice thing to complain about, but what about the other guy in this thread who would pay $100 for a ticket and be OK with $30 parking in comparison? How nuts is that?

If you want to go to a Canes game, parking is $30 and the ticket is $10. Those are the prices. Either you want to pay them, or you don't. It's your money. But when you've got away game warriors going to 3-4 or more road games each year and creating a much better atmosphere in our little away section than the home fans currently are in all of Sun Life--the home fans ought to be ashamed to complain about such trivial things in comparison...that's my point.

Bitter? Jesus christ. Are you insane? A ripoff is a ripoff. Yes, it's my money. And it's not for you to judge anybody else's fandom based on what they want to do with their money. You just sound like a fool when you weren't even at the game last week yet you think it's your business what people do with their money and that you should decide what the 'real fans' do.

Again, why weren't you at the game last week? Why are you going to the GT game, but didn't go to the 'Canes home opener?

Pretty simple. If you are not part of the solution, you are probably part of the problem. Whining and crying that the tailgating and atmosphere suck and that the stadium ownership is keeping you down with parking prices, instead of making the atmosphere and tailgating better is you being part of the problem.

Admitting it is the first step.

My name is Angry Ibis. I am from Tampa and do not go to enough games. I am part of the problem.

Pretty simple. If you are not part of the solution, you are probably part of the problem. Whining and crying that the tailgating and atmosphere suck and that the stadium ownership is keeping you down with parking prices, instead of making the atmosphere and tailgating better is you being part of the problem.

Admitting it is the first step.

My name is Angry Ibis. I am from Tampa and do not go to enough games. I am part of the problem.

You know why the atmosphere was awesome at the OB?

Because it was a great stadium and UM was usually winning.

You know why the atmosphere sucks at Sun Life?

Because it is a ****** stadium and UM is usually losing.

I have been a season ticket holder for 20+ years and usually go to at least 5 of the 6 home games and one road game a year. But its fair to call a spade a spade. Joe Robbie is a terrible stadium. The parking situation is a disaster and $30 to be instructed where to park is absurd. Sorry.

Advertisement
Do I like the price of parking, no, but is it going to keep me from going, no. If it does you're not much of a fan anyway, so quit your *****in', and yes I'm judging your "fandom".

I also call bullshat on a 40K a year donor crying about parking, try giving 39,820 and save the rest for gameday parking.

Do I like the price of parking, no, but is it going to keep me from going, no. If it does you're not much of a fan anyway, so quit your ****in', and yes I'm judging your "fandom".

I also call bullshat on a 40K a year donor crying about parking, try giving 39,820 and save the rest for gameday parking.

I'm a student. I never said I 'donate' to UM.

Is the price of parking going to keep people from going alone? No, but it's another thing on the long list of why the UM gameday experience sucks.

Again, why weren't you at the game last week? Why are you going to the GT game, but didn't go to the 'Canes home opener?
Sure...let's make this about me. I'm not the one who's less than an hour away from the home stadium and not going. Somehow I make the home atmosphere suck when I'm a 15 hour (pushing it) drive away from Miami?

I'll bite. I wasn't at the home opener last week because it's a 15 hour drive, and gas is about $4/gallon. I also do not have an airport nearby that does direct flights to Miami, the closest ones are either Knoxville (3hr drive) or Charlotte (4hr drive).

But yeah--let's blame me because I won't go to that trouble instead of Joe Blow from Miramar who thinks it's absurd that he has to drive 10 minutes to the stadium and pay $30 to park.

You know what we do when we go to away games and we know the parking cost is decently high? We ride one big SUV in, pack all of our stuff, and 3-4 people can split the cost...and then it's no problem. Either that, or the driver buys the parking pass, and those who rode with him owe him a shot or a beer apiece at the tailgate...and then everyone's squared up. I dare say those novel ideas could work at Sun Life as well.

Once again--there are next to no excuses for someone that close to Miami home games not to go.

Sure...let's make this about me. I'm not the one who's less than an hour away from the home stadium and not going. Somehow I make the home atmosphere suck when I'm a 15 hour (pushing it) drive away from Miami?

I'll bite. I wasn't at the home opener last week because it's a 15 hour drive, and gas is about $4/gallon. I also do not have an airport nearby that does direct flights to Miami, the closest ones are either Knoxville (3hr drive) or Charlotte (4hr drive).

But yeah--let's blame me because I won't go to that trouble instead of Joe Blow from Miramar who thinks it's absurd that he has to drive 10 minutes to the stadium and pay $30 to park.

You know what we do when we go to away games and we know the parking cost is decently high? We ride one big SUV in, pack all of our stuff, and 3-4 people can split the cost...and then it's no problem. Either that, or the driver buys the parking pass, and those who rode with him owe him a shot or a beer apiece at the tailgate...and then everyone's squared up. I dare say those novel ideas could work at Sun Life as well.

Once again--there are next to no excuses for someone that close to Miami home games not to go.

No, you ******* fool. I was at the game. But I also understand why people wouldn't want to go. And I think those who judge others about it, without going to the game, are full of it.

How about find an airport that flies into Ft. Lauderdale (it's closer to Sun Life anyway) and quit making excuses. Direct flight? LMAO. Oh, poor you, you have to deal with a layover. Sounds to me like you're happy as **** to go to the away games when it's a fairly big opponent, but you couldn't care less about actually showing up to UM games when they play a ****** opponent. So what are you talking about again?

Once again -- it's none of your business whether somebody feels like showing up or not on a Saturday against B-CC. That is especially true when you don't go to the games yourself.

It is absurd to pay 30$ to park when tickets cost 5 dollars, and the UM players are going to give a half-*** effort anyway.

Advertisement
You said you give $40K a year. That could be construed as being a donor, the way you put it.

You don't "give" $40K to UM, your parents or your lenders probably do. Even if you're on full scholarship, you're not "giving" them anything at that point but your presence, because your scholarship benefactors are footing the bill for your education at that point. And besides--you're getting your education in return, so you're paying the university for your education. You're not "giving" them anything. Just like you're paying $30, which is the price to park.

If you somehow can afford to go to UM, then you and some of your buddies can pile into whatever car you like, pool together $30 amongst yourselves, and pay to park in one space and tailgate your asses off. Have a good time. Get a cheapass Walmart grill, some brats, some buns, and some chips to go with your drinks of choice. Get fvckin rowdy. Give the opposing fans and team some **** for being there. Yell your *** off at the game and make that place loud and intimidating. It's not the OB, but nothing ever will be the OB ever again...so it's up to you to make Sun Life the best it can be.

Quit whining about how it sucks, nut up, and go dominate the crowd.

You said you give $40K a year. That could be construed as being a donor, the way you put it.

You don't "give" $40K to UM, your parents or your lenders probably do. Even if you're on full scholarship, you're not "giving" them anything at that point but your presence, because your scholarship benefactors are footing the bill for your education at that point. And besides--you're getting your education in return, so you're paying the university for your education. You're not "giving" them anything. Just like you're paying $30, which is the price to park.

If you somehow can afford to go to UM, then you and some of your buddies can pile into whatever car you like, pool together $30 amongst yourselves, and pay to park in one space and tailgate your asses off. Have a good time. Get a cheapass Walmart grill, some brats, some buns, and some chips to go with your drinks of choice. Get fvckin rowdy. Give the opposing fans and team some **** for being there. Yell your *** off at the game and make that place loud and intimidating. It's not the OB, but nothing ever will be the OB ever again...so it's up to you to make Sun Life the best it can be.

Quit whining about how it sucks, nut up, and go dominate the crowd.

Did you go to UM? Probably not. Yet you think you can lecture everybody else on how to be a ******* fan. Yes, I give UM 40k a year. They give me a piece of paper in return.

Listen up: I went to the game last week. Why didn't you? b/c you can't get a direct flight, yet you're perfectly happy to go to away games. But you just couldn't be bothered to actually go to UM's home opener. What a joke. LMFAO @ you telling me to 'yell.' Sorry buddy, I'm not "yelling" when UM can barely beat B-CC. And it's none of your business how I express myself at a game you psychopath.

No, you ******* fool. I was at the game. But I also understand why people wouldn't want to go. And I think those who judge others about it, without going to the game, are full of it.
I'm glad you were at the game--that's awesome. Keep it up, by all means. Your presence is needed there, as well as those other folks you mentioned that didn't go b/c they had some mealy-mouthed excuse.

How about find an airport that flies into Ft. Lauderdale (it's closer to Sun Life anyway) and quit making excuses. Direct flight? LMAO. Oh, poor you, you have to deal with a layover. Sounds to me like you're happy as **** to go to the away games when it's a fairly big opponent, but you couldn't care less about actually showing up to UM games when they play a ****** opponent. So what are you talking about again?
Novel idea about the Ft Lauderdale option, like I hadn't thought of that. Flights w/layovers out of my closest airport are still over 100 bucks each way, so that's a pretty big penny to spend to come down to Miami. It knocks me out of driving to 2 away games or so that are within driving distance for me. The flaw in your logic is, I'm going to away games. I'm yelling my *** off at those games. I make plans to make the games that I can make, which are mostly up in VA/NC area.

Oh--and you asked what I'm talking about? I'm going to the Duke game. DUKE. Miami versus DUKE. In Durham, NC. If that's not going to watch UM play a ****** opponent, I dunno what is. And I've made that trip more than once. I've also been to Wake a few times as well...which is another ****** opponent. There goes that argument for you.

Once again -- it's none of your business whether somebody feels like showing up or not on a Saturday against B-CC. That is especially true when you don't go to the games yourself.
I've been to a home opener before. You know who the opponent was? Charleston Southern. First game of the 2008 season, I think. So, I've seen a crappy opponent play Miami at home too. So much for that assumption.

I definitely go to the games. I go to the away games mostly, but I go and I support the Canes, sometimes driving 3-6 hours or more away from home. The drive to Tally last year took me 9 hours. If I can dedicate that much time to going to support the Canes, then I have zero sympathy for someone who won't drive for an hour or less to go to Sun Life and support them at home...and yes, I will judge their fandom accordingly.

It is absurd to pay 30$ to park when tickets cost 5 dollars, and the UM players are going to give a half-*** effort anyway.
So...there's that old Parking is 3x/6x more than tix argument again (TIRED), and the inevitable excuse of the team sucks, why go support them? BECAUSE YOU'RE A ******* HURRICANE!!! If you can make it, and you're a Canes fan...go. If not, don't go around acting like you're a fan if you can't be there for the good and the bad both.

Advertisement
I'm glad you were at the game--that's awesome. Keep it up, by all means. Your presence is needed there, as well as those other folks you mentioned that didn't go b/c they had some mealy-mouthed excuse.

How about find an airport that flies into Ft. Lauderdale (it's closer to Sun Life anyway) and quit making excuses. Direct flight? LMAO. Oh, poor you, you have to deal with a layover. Sounds to me like you're happy as **** to go to the away games when it's a fairly big opponent, but you couldn't care less about actually showing up to UM games when they play a ****ty opponent. So what are you talking about again?
Novel idea about the Ft Lauderdale option, like I hadn't thought of that. Flights w/layovers out of my closest airport are still over 100 bucks each way, so that's a pretty big penny to spend to come down to Miami. It knocks me out of driving to 2 away games or so that are within driving distance for me. The flaw in your logic is, I'm going to away games. I'm yelling my *** off at those games. I make plans to make the games that I can make, which are mostly up in VA/NC area.

Oh--and you asked what I'm talking about? I'm going to the Duke game. DUKE. Miami versus DUKE. In Durham, NC. If that's not going to watch UM play a ****ty opponent, I dunno what is. And I've made that trip more than once. I've also been to Wake a few times as well...which is another ****ty opponent. There goes that argument for you.

I've been to a home opener before. You know who the opponent was? Charleston Southern. First game of the 2008 season, I think. So, I've seen a crappy opponent play Miami at home too. So much for that assumption.

I definitely go to the games. I go to the away games mostly, but I go and I support the Canes, sometimes driving 3-6 hours or more away from home. The drive to Tally last year took me 9 hours. If I can dedicate that much time to going to support the Canes, then I have zero sympathy for someone who won't drive for an hour or less to go to Sun Life and support them at home...and yes, I will judge their fandom accordingly.

So...there's that old Parking is 3x/6x more than tix argument again (TIRED), and the inevitable excuse of the team sucks, why go support them? BECAUSE YOU'RE A ****ING HURRICANE!!! If you can make it, and you're a Canes fan...go. If not, don't go around acting like you're a fan if you can't be there for the good and the bad both.

Quit your crying, super fan. It's the home opener and you're happy to do whatever you can to go to an away game but you just won't be bothered to go the home opener. I don't think you understand that nobody cares if you have sympathy. You're just some guy on a message board trying to lecture everybody on how to be a fan yet it seems like you rarely show up to UM home games. In fact the last home opener you showed up for was 4 years ago. And I didn't assume that you didn't show up to the home opener this year. That's fact.

It is always the people who don't go to the games who think it's their job to be a Hurricane super fan. Unbelievable. lulz @ you trying to tell people whether they are 'fans' or not.

It's not a 'flaw' in my logic that you're happier to go to away games than home games, yet you think you should be lecturing everybody on how to be a fan at a home game.

So continue bragging about how awesome of a Hurricane fan you are because you go to some away games each year but you're just too important and too awesome of a fan to show up for home games. Can you write a Hurricanes fandom guide?

Did you go to UM? Probably not.
Spot on. I didn't go to Miami--however, I had a partial academic scholarship to go there, but myself nor my family could afford the rest of the tuition and expenses for me to go. I had enough scholarships to where I basically got paid to go to school here locally, so I stayed local and got my degree. BUT--if I could have afforded to go to Miami, you bet your *** I would have.

And if you only view your degree as a "piece of paper", then maybe you shouldn't be in college at all? If you don't value getting an education from a university like Miami, especially if you don't value it at $40K worth, then go somewhere else that's cheaper so the price tag and the value you place on your education match up better.

For the record, going to Miami has no bearing on whether you love the Hurricanes or not. None whatsoever. I just think you sound foolish trying to lecture everybody else on how to be a UM fan yet you don't go to the home games.

Advertisement
Back