Minimal news, but remember this guy?

Amen. I still remember our game, at home, against Tennessee in 2003 and he struggled to look over our OL dropping back. Coker was convinced to make it work with Brock under center. I don't think he had ever been under center his whole life. I had the same concern with Jacory Harris. All his high school footage and a I never saw him under center.

This made me think. Outside of Bridgewater, I can't come up with a QB we had who de-committed, or transferred, and had any real success elsewhere.

I would kill to have Berlin back I don't know about you guys

One of the most underrated and misused players in the history of the program. How the **** our coaches didn't put that dude in shotgun permanently after the Florida game will mystify me for the remainder of my life.

In today spread world, Brock would have been one of the top college QBs. Dude was deadly in the shotgun but could not drop back to save his life. Coker probably cost us one or two NC by not changing to fit his personnel. A lesson for ALL coaches.

Advertisement
Thanks Joe. That was the point. At least you read for comprehension. Much appreciated.

Off the top of my head:

Devlin - Nothing
Shaw - Nothing
Cook - Nothing
Cannon - Nothing
Marve - Nothing
Guillon - Nothing
Fortay - Nothing
Devlin ended up having a pretty good career at Delaware (after PSU) and has been the Dolphins 3rd string QB for about 3 years now.

Yeah. I know with his former center's (at Delaware) mom. I got that impression. I think Devlin would have helped us.

Amen. I still remember our game, at home, against Tennessee in 2003 and he struggled to look over our OL dropping back. Coker was convinced to make it work with Brock under center. I don't think he had ever been under center his whole life. I had the same concern with Jacory Harris. All his high school footage and a I never saw him under center.

This made me think. Outside of Bridgewater, I can't come up with a QB we had who de-committed, or transferred, and had any real success elsewhere.

One of the most underrated and misused players in the history of the program. How the **** our coaches didn't put that dude in shotgun permanently after the Florida game will mystify me for the remainder of my life.

In today spread world, Brock would have been one of the top college QBs. Dude was deadly in the shotgun but could not drop back to save his life. Coker probably cost us one or two NC by not changing to fit his personnel. A lesson for ALL coaches.

Brock improved a lot by his senior year but my only issue with the "Coker's fault" assessment is that he didn't do anything at UF in Steve Spurrier's spread/run and gun system... He was also highly ranked coming out... I think we got the best out of Brock no matter the system...

You and me both.

I remember leaving the Ole Girl taunting Turds and feeling excited as **** about the fast pace offense we would see the rest of 2003. Sure, we won 5 after that night in a row, including F$U....but I could just feel the wind coming out of the sails as Coker would not put Berlin back into his old comfort zone. We were lucky to beat West Vag...and Temple or whoever else easily assisted in helping us look better....VT and Tennessee were just flat out embarrassing.

I know it wasn't all on the decision to keep Berlin mainly under center, and we all get that tweaking an offense in the middle of a season can be dangerous.....but what I witnessed at the OB that night I felt would be impossible for any OC or HC to go away from. Brock had more time, more vision and less time to over think situations....

UM

Lol... I was so ****ed when he de-committed....

Then we landed Marve, and all was right again.

Lol....

Advertisement

Brock improved a lot by his senior year but my only issue with the "Coker's fault" assessment is that he didn't do anything at UF in Steve Spurrier's spread/run and gun system... He was also highly ranked coming out... I think we got the best out of Brock no matter the system...

that's because he sat behind rex grossman, who spurrier would've killed a baby for.

Advertisement
Back