MIKE RUMPH TEACHING PRESS TECHNIQUE....

Imma throw it out there, I really like our defensive staff. Like all of them... I actually like it more than the offensive staff. I think Banda is a beast. He connects with kids, they love him. Half the battle IMO is getting kids to buy into what your coaching and will they run through a brick wall for you? Banda seems to get that part of it. But thats just me..

Advertisement
I don't think we'll ever learn how good a CB coach Rumph is because he's going to have so much stacked talent he's going to look awesome no matter what. He may be awesome. But just as Saban's coaching tree has a fair number of busts, Miami with the talent it's building is going to mask mediocrity at the coaching level. Again not saying he's mediocre, just that we may never need to know or care.FWIW, he does look like a high quality developmental coach to me, even if he's not necessarily the best recruiter or player's coach.

Considering the fact that he's groomed multiple 4 and 5 star dbs in the last couple of years at American heritage(5 star McFadden, 5 star surtain, 5 star Campbell, 4 star Marco Wilson seems like he knows what he is doing

ninja out here getting credit for Pat Surtains son and Marco Wilson??. Campbell is his guy...but those two were being coached up from babies by their dads to play cb.

Even if you take them two away tmac and Campbell is still great development

I remember guys on here raving about Kevin Beard and Randy Melvin YouTube coaching videos a couple years ago.

What mistakes did our corners make last year to illicit these comparisons? We played an undersized Elder, a Grad Transfer who didn't start at Texas and had never played the position, a guy who now plays safety for us, and a freshman in Young. And despite the obvious lack of talent, I can't think of many mistakes we made in the secondary, all the while getting two guys drafted and finishing with a pass defense ranked 13th in yards per attempt. I'd say that's a pretty good reflection of good coaching.

First, I made no comparison. It was a true comment that I made.

Second, you are vastly underestimating the talent in our secondary last year. Corn is a bad ***. Colbert is another bad *** currently in the NFL. Jenkins was a mid round NFL pick and a very good Safety. Young is a big-time talent. Where's all this lack of talent?

You guys get too worked up too quickly over coaches. Let's see what Rumph does this year without all those seniors in the secondary. He's got a lot of talent to work with this year too. And the talent will be flooding in even heavier in 2018.

I'll give you Corn, but I think it's fair to say he made a pretty big jump this season under Rumph. However, Colbert wasn't sniffing the NFL before he came here and LOL at "big-time talent." Malek Young was a mid-three star guy who only ended up at Miami because he followed Richt here. Doesn't mean he didn't have potential, but you're just being a bit of a hater (or overly skeptical at the very least) if you have to call Malek Young, as a recruit, a "big-time talent" to try to make some point.

Come on, just give the man some credit. If our corners suck **** this year then fine, we can all probably agree he's not a great coach because of the potential of this group. Don't think we'll be having that conversation this season though, more likely the opposite.

Last edited:
I don't think we'll ever learn how good a CB coach Rumph is because he's going to have so much stacked talent he's going to look awesome no matter what. He may be awesome. But just as Saban's coaching tree has a fair number of busts, Miami with the talent it's building is going to mask mediocrity at the coaching level. Again not saying he's mediocre, just that we may never need to know or care.FWIW, he does look like a high quality developmental coach to me, even if he's not necessarily the best recruiter or player's coach.

Really? The last staph had Artie Burns and Tracie Howard, both NFL guys who underperformed in college vs. their overall talent. In fact, the NFL consensus on Burns was that he had 1st round potential but was undercoached. Say what you want about Colbert last season, but no one in the country thought he had NFL talent except for this staff, maybe, and they put him in the position to use it.

With everything being said..that's good stuff Rumph is teaching them.

Banda is terrible?

Terrible!!!!!!

The Safety position at the University of Miami is one of prestige and we have a guy with zero experience coaching that spot.

Let's see how these new kids look that don't have 4-5 years under their belt.

he's terrible due to his lack of experience or terrible because of what and how he teaches?

and doesn't he have a lot more experience coaching at this level than Rumph?

He's terrible due to both...he can't coach!

and I don't care about your logic about his experience at this level. This is his 1st on-field coaching job...period. He was do boy with the other positions he held.

I'll take the guy with south florida ties that's played in the NFL (u know - the highest level) and as a HC, turned a private school into a powerhouse.

Last edited:
Advertisement

Considering the fact that he's groomed multiple 4 and 5 star dbs in the last couple of years at American heritage(5 star McFadden, 5 star surtain, 5 star Campbell, 4 star Marco Wilson seems like he knows what he is doing

ninja out here getting credit for Pat Surtains son and Marco Wilson??. Campbell is his guy...but those two were being coached up from babies by their dads to play cb.

Are you aware Chad Wilson coaches them and has been the DB coach at AMH since Rumph was there

Banda is terrible?

Terrible!!!!!!

The Safety position at the University of Miami is one of prestige and we have a guy with zero experience coaching that spot.

he's terrible due to his lack of experience or terrible because of what and how he teaches?

and doesn't he have a lot more experience coaching at this level than Rumph?

He's terrible due to both...he can't coach!

and I don't care about your logic about his experience at this level. This is his 1st on-field coaching job...period. He was do boy with the other positions he held.

I'll take the guy with south florida ties that's played in the NFL and turned a private school into a powerhouse.

so you are judging him on one year and not being a SoFl coach who played here? what showed that he can't coach with this past seasons safety play

Banda is terrible?

Terrible!!!!!!

The dude was whipping up c0cktails a couple years ago. I find it hard to believe that he has much of a coaching pedigree.

He's been a good active personable recruiter even though him driving around Florida with the Russell Bowl trophy came off weak as **** to me.

Advertisement
I remember guys on here raving about Kevin Beard and Randy Melvin YouTube coaching videos a couple years ago.

What mistakes did our corners make last year to illicit these comparisons? We played an undersized Elder, a Grad Transfer who didn't start at Texas and had never played the position, a guy who now plays safety for us, and a freshman in Young. And despite the obvious lack of talent, I can't think of many mistakes we made in the secondary, all the while getting two guys drafted and finishing with a pass defense ranked 13th in yards per attempt. I'd say that's a pretty good reflection of good coaching.

Second, you are vastly underestimating the talent in our secondary last year. Corn is a bad ***. Colbert is another bad *** currently in the NFL. Jenkins was a mid round NFL pick and a very good Safety. Young is a big-time talent. Where's all this lack of talent?

You guys get too worked up too quickly over coaches. Let's see what Rumph does this year without all those seniors in the secondary. He's got a lot of talent to work with this year too. And the talent will be flooding in even heavier in 2018.

I'll give you Corn, but I think it's fair to say he made a pretty big jump this season under Rumph. However, Colbert wasn't sniffing the NFL before he came here and LOL at "big-time talent." Malek Young was a mid-three star guy who only ended up at Miami because he followed Richt here. Doesn't mean he didn't have potential, but you're just being a bit of a hater (or overly skeptical at the very least) if you have to call Malek Young, as a recruit, a "big-time talent" to try to make some point.

Come on, just give the man some credit. If our corners suck **** this year then fine, we can all probably agree he's not a great coach because of the potential of this group. Don't think we'll be having that conversation this season though, more likely the opposite.

I'll go one by one.

Colbertson ran a 4.3 at UM's pro day. That, along with his size, toughness and attitude is what got him drafted. He also made a wise decision leaving Texas and going somewhere where he could play. So, yeah, he is a big-time talent physically.

You guys and your revisionist history on Corn crack me up. You act like Rumph took him off a scrap heap. That guy is a monster on the field despite his lack of height.

I don't give a **** how many stars Malek Young had. Anyone who couldn't see his talent and potential as a cover guy is retarded. Ask LuCane what he thought of Malek BEFORE he played a down here.

You guys are confusing the defense being better with some incredible job that Rumph did. He coached a single unit that, compared to the teams we faced, was usually more talented than the opponents. Our CBs had bad moments last year in games against UNC and Pitt and others.

The defense was more aggressive and forcing quicker decisions, and that's why our DBs looked better. They weren't asked to cover interminably. If Rumph was the CB coach under Folden you guys would be hating him just like you did Williams. You're playing results of the D and pretending to know that those results were a result of Rumph.

tee3000 is lame af. Dumb as a box of rox. I don't know why you all even engage him. He is clearly delusional and I can bet my life he was a Golden fanatic who blamed the players for everything.

Are you aware Chad Wilson coaches them and has been the DB coach at AMH since Rumph was there

Didn't Campbell play WR when Rumph was there anyway?

tee3000 is lame af. Dumb as a box of rox. I don't know why you all even engage him. He is clearly delusional and I can bet my life he was a Golden fanatic who blamed the players for everything.

He actually hated Folden halfway through the Maryland game.

Advertisement
Its ok to be skeptical. That's fine. Lets not act like you know FOR sure after a small sample size, especially when that sample looks quite well.

Yeah but rumph wasn't just sitting on his hands either...

Advertisement

Yeah but rumph wasn't just sitting on his hands either...

Sounds like he's sitting on your face.

I'll go one by one.

Colbertson ran a 4.3 at UM's pro day. That, along with his size, toughness and attitude is what got him drafted. He also made a wise decision leaving Texas and going somewhere where he could play. So, yeah, he is a big-time talent physically.

You guys and your revisionist history on Corn crack me up. You act like Rumph took him off a scrap heap. That guy is a monster on the field despite his lack of height.

I don't give a **** how many stars Malek Young had. Anyone who couldn't see his talent and potential as a cover guy is retarded. Ask LuCane what he thought of Malek BEFORE he played a down here.

You guys are confusing the defense being better with some incredible job that Rumph did. He coached a single unit that, compared to the teams we faced, was usually more talented than the opponents. Our CBs had bad moments last year in games against UNC and Pitt and others.

The defense was more aggressive and forcing quicker decisions, and that's why our DBs looked better. They weren't asked to cover interminably. If Rumph was the CB coach under Folden you guys would be hating him just like you did Williams. You're playing results of the D and pretending to know that those results were a result of Rumph.

What are you talking about? Who is saying the entire defense was better because of Rumph? I think you're debating yourself here. It's obvious the secondary was helped by the front 7 putting on more pressure, but how could you use that to say Rumph doesn't get any credit? I just don't understand your reasoning.

Whew, cool, Young had potential coming into UM. So does pretty much every other kid we bring in here. Rumph coached him up, period. I told you I agreed with Corn, but he definitely looked better this year. If you want to assume one of our CBs being better had nothing to do with our CB coach, be my guest and go wild with that one. Colbert has great measurables? Yes, agreed. But he was a safety at Texas and could hardly sniff the field before he came over here. He converted to CB and became a better player, even if getting drafted also had a lot to do with his measurables. Again, if you want to assume he simply learned the position better on his own, and another one of our CBs getting better had nothing to with our CB coach, be my guest.

I suppose you're just in a critical mood? Rumph has in no way proven himself to be an elite coach, but all these people refusing to give him credit are just struggling to swallow their pride after standing strong in their initially skeptical stance. It's okay to admit he did a good job coaching guys up last year. If he does well again and all our guys improve next season, I hope people will stop being stubborn about it, because other than Delaney none of these guys are even close to finished products. And if he doesn't do well, I hope people like myself will man up and admit we jumped the gun a bit.

Last edited:
Corn was good as a db coming in his senior year. But his game was taken to another level in every aspect this last season. Rumph deserves credit for the cornerbacks play last season. That was the best cb play by far that we have had in years

Advertisement
Back