MIKE RUMPH TEACHING PRESS TECHNIQUE....

Advertisement
I remember guys on here raving about Kevin Beard and Randy Melvin YouTube coaching videos a couple years ago.

What mistakes did our corners make last year to illicit these comparisons? We played an undersized Elder, a Grad Transfer who didn't start at Texas and had never played the position, a guy who now plays safety for us, and a freshman in Young. And despite the obvious lack of talent, I can't think of many mistakes we made in the secondary, all the while getting two guys drafted and finishing with a pass defense ranked 13th in yards per attempt. I'd say that's a pretty good reflection of good coaching.

First, I made no comparison. It was a true comment that I made.

Second, you are vastly underestimating the talent in our secondary last year. Corn is a bad ***. Colbert is another bad *** currently in the NFL. Jenkins was a mid round NFL pick and a very good Safety. Young is a big-time talent. Where's all this lack of talent?

You guys get too worked up too quickly over coaches. Let's see what Rumph does this year without all those seniors in the secondary. He's got a lot of talent to work with this year too. And the talent will be flooding in even heavier in 2018.

He turned Colbert in to an NFL guy. Banda did the same with Jenkins. Maybe stating the two don't have talent is excessive, but neither was on track to be an NFL player until our staff got our hands on them.

Eassssssy there, guy.

I remember guys on here raving about Kevin Beard and Randy Melvin YouTube coaching videos a couple years ago.

What mistakes did our corners make last year to illicit these comparisons? We played an undersized Elder, a Grad Transfer who didn't start at Texas and had never played the position, a guy who now plays safety for us, and a freshman in Young. And despite the obvious lack of talent, I can't think of many mistakes we made in the secondary, all the while getting two guys drafted and finishing with a pass defense ranked 13th in yards per attempt. I'd say that's a pretty good reflection of good coaching.

Second, you are vastly underestimating the talent in our secondary last year. Corn is a bad ***. Colbert is another bad *** currently in the NFL. Jenkins was a mid round NFL pick and a very good Safety. Young is a big-time talent. Where's all this lack of talent?

You guys get too worked up too quickly over coaches. Let's see what Rumph does this year without all those seniors in the secondary. He's got a lot of talent to work with this year too. And the talent will be flooding in even heavier in 2018.

He turned Colbert in to an NFL guy. Banda did the same with Jenkins. Maybe stating the two don't have talent is excessive, but neither was on track to be an NFL player until our staff got our hands on them. Fire up that Jenkins Cincinnati tape and the player he became last year was miles apart.

Disagree jenkins definitely was on track to be an NFL draft pick even before Last season

I don't think we'll ever learn how good a CB coach Rumph is because he's going to have so much stacked talent he's going to look awesome no matter what. He may be awesome. But just as Saban's coaching tree has a fair number of busts, Miami with the talent it's building is going to mask mediocrity at the coaching level. Again not saying he's mediocre, just that we may never need to know or care.FWIW, he does look like a high quality developmental coach to me, even if he's not necessarily the best recruiter or player's coach.

Love it. You can tell that he's good at relaying his knowledge down to the kids. He explains things very well.

Poor guy is gonna have to teach that **** from scratch to all these South FLA kids cause all they're taught to do in high school is maul the **** out of the WR.

DBs from TX too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advertisement
I don't think we'll ever learn how good a CB coach Rumph is because he's going to have so much stacked talent he's going to look awesome no matter what. He may be awesome. But just as Saban's coaching tree has a fair number of busts, Miami with the talent it's building is going to mask mediocrity at the coaching level. Again not saying he's mediocre, just that we may never need to know or care.FWIW, he does look like a high quality developmental coach to me, even if he's not necessarily the best recruiter or player's coach.

Considering the fact that he's groomed multiple 4 and 5 star dbs in the last couple of years at American heritage(5 star McFadden, 5 star surtain, 5 star Campbell, 4 star Marco Wilson seems like he knows what he is doing

Considering the fact that he's groomed multiple 4 and 5 star dbs in the last couple of years at American heritage(5 star McFadden, 5 star surtain, 5 star Campbell, 4 star Marco Wilson seems like he knows what he is doing

ninja out here getting credit for Pat Surtains son and Marco Wilson??. Campbell is his guy...but those two were being coached up from babies by their dads to play cb.

I will be the first to admit that, granted, we were coming up from Brennan Carroll, but i remember starting the Kevin Beard thread with all the uploaded youtube videos.

My how things have changed. Thank God.

Just watch how good our dbs will be this season...

[video=youtube;IAvr1Zyk_OM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAvr1Zyk_OM&list=TLGG6SaDzrbZNcQxNTA2MjAxNw[/video]

Coach Rumph is a hands on type of guy.. CMR got him here because #1 he knows the position of CB and he can coach #2 he is a very known guy in the SoFla area!! Coach Rumph is new to all this recruiting BUT one thing he knows and that's how to teach a player how to play CB.. I think after a few years here, he will be a main contributor as a coach and recruiter.. I don't think he will leave Miami, I think after a few of our coaches get head coaching opportunities he will be one of the coaches to benefit and move up the food chain!!

Advertisement

I will be the first to admit that, granted, we were coming up from Brennan Carroll, but i remember starting the Kevin Beard thread with all the uploaded youtube videos.

My how things have changed. Thank God.

Brennan fing Carroll . . . wow I forgot about that guy.

Colbert was going to be selling ****** insurance some where until rumph got with him. Corn was a what 5th round pick coming off the best season of his career. Corn was headed to not being drafted under the last staff. Young played mostly wr in high school. Stop hating.

The difference between the coverage and the tackling of the DB's last year, vs the previous years, was night and day. I don't remember one WTF moment like we had the past few years, with DB's unable to make a play on a ball, or whiffing on tackles.

The score board will judge our coaches and nothing else matters, but it is entertaining to listen to all the experts on the board yank and yank on and on about the details. Clearly we have come down a long way from when coaching staffs from other major programs like NE and Washington would beg to come down and see how JJ did it. I always thought letting them was the really stupid of him to do.

Advertisement

He turned Colbert in to an NFL guy. Banda did the same with Jenkins. Maybe stating the two don't have talent is excessive, but neither was on track to be an NFL player until our staff got our hands on them. Fire up that Jenkins Cincinnati tape and the player he became last year was miles apart.

Jenkins was a good player the whole time he was here. He was good as a freshmans. He missed some tackles along the way (including last season), but the few bad plays didn't define him any more than Meriweather getting trucked by Otis Wilson defined him.

Colbert is 6'2, tough as nails and runs 4.4. Charlie ******* tossed him aside in his ill-fated youth movement. ******* got fired for being an idiot. I won't judge Colbertson's skill set based on ******* being an idiot and tossing him aside. Taking a guy with Colbertson's skills and attitude and making him a good CB was no great feat.

Rumph looks like a nice CB coach. He should be. It's all he does. He doesn't recruit, and he doesn't even coach the Safeties. If he can't coach up 6 guys, then he should find a new profession.

Exactly!

and they love hyping up Banda....that guy is terrible

Advertisement
With everything being said..that's good stuff Rumph is teaching them.

Banda is terrible?

Terrible!!!!!!

The Safety position at the University of Miami is one of prestige and we have a guy with zero experience coaching that spot.

Let's see how these new kids look that don't have 4-5 years under their belt.

he's terrible due to his lack of experience or terrible because of what and how he teaches?

and doesn't he have a lot more experience coaching at this level than Rumph?

Rumph was handed Corn Elder and a bunch of..."meh" and turned it into a top notch secondary. Even with Colbert missing a big chunk of the season and having to rely on Redwine, they were still very solid. People have been too used to Miami hiring "recruiters" who can't coach for ****, they forgot that good coaches actually make players better.

Advertisement
Back