deleted3746

-Played for the Canes from 1998-2001
-Played 6 seasons in the NFL for SF, Wash., and STL
-Always wanted to coach
-Wants to be the best teacher and coach
-Led the boys and girls track team at American-Heritage to a state title
-Was hired to be the football CEO in December
-Miami staff called to congratulate him after he was hired
-Rolls out the red carpet for Miami when they visit American-Heritage due to the respect they showed him
-Believes in Golden and his staff
-Thinks the school and the football program should do more in the community
-One of four former Canes now CEOs of HS football
-Feels he is a Tony Dungy type of coach
-Notable players on his team: 2014 S Carter Jacobs, 2015 QB Torrance Gibson, 2015 CB Tarvaris McFadden, 2014 WR Isaiah McKenzie, 2014 DT Edgar Cerenord, and 2014 RB Phony Michel
-Rumph has a long term goal of winning a state title, something American-Heritage has never done
-High on academics
-Tells his kids to stay humble and exlpore their options
-Doesn't tell his kids to go to any school
-Gives them any advice he can
-Rumph was a freshman all-american, all big east 2nd team as a sophomore, all big east 1st team as a junior, all big east 2nd team as a senior
-Rumph says there are 3 reasons that made the 2001 team great: paid close attention to STs and they wanted to dominate STs, they had team leaders, not just coaches, and the competition amongst the players
-Rumph says the drills they did in practice were intense, they were wars, but after practice it was like family
-Says the entire defense would meet at 0600 on their own to watch film, learn what they needed to, then go to class
-Self-coaching and self-motivation helped the entire team
-While he didnt have great success in the NFL, Rumph says he uses his experience from the NFL to teach his son and his team how to persevere through losses and injuries

http://miami.247sports.com/Article/Former-Hurricane-Mike-Rumph-Always-Wanted-to-be-a-Coach-131530

Advertisement
I remember when he came out of Delray Atlantic. Was the #1 Safety in the nation. Was a great Cane and if he hadnt gotten injured would still be in the league. Glad he is at AH. Met him at a club one time. (Barchetta on the Bay in Biscayne) Real good dude. LOVES the U. I know he will be in Sonys ear all year about second guessing his decision. I dont believe for one minute he is standing on the sidelines in this war. Good interview.

Great to see another Cane coaching So Fl high school. So many smart Canes with degrees that we should own all the High Schools. As I remember, Mike was one of three 1st round picks from our championship team's secondary. 3 #1 from one secondary in one year. Eat your heart out LSU and Bama. I cannot remember anyone ever doing that before or since. What a team? Go get 'em Mike. We have not forgetten! Thanks for all the memories and the title.

"Rolls out the red carpet for Miami when they visit American-Heritage due to the respect they showed him"

Mike gets it!

Advertisement
Awesome. Rumph was a beast and ought to be a great coach. Hope he sticks around for a long time.

Advertisement
How long before he starts trashing UM on Twitter if we don't offer a marginal guy from his school? Needs to a do a better job with a guy like Magic Chef Michel. Should sit down and take some lessons from Donnell Bennett.

Advertisement
Great dude! Does a lot to support his athletes. He put together a great staff as well: Oronde Gadsen, Patrick Surtain, Mike Smith, etc. The players really like him. He goes to their games for other sports and is the biggest cheerleader there. What you see is what you get. Really genuine.

P.S. Its Sony Michel. Dont let bitterness cause you to disrespect an 18 year old kid.

Great dude! Does a lot to support his athletes. He put together a great staff as well: Oronde Gadsen, Patrick Surtain, Mike Smith, etc. The players really like him. He goes to their games for other sports and is the biggest cheerleader there. What you see is what you get. Really genuine.

P.S. Its Sony Michel. Dont let bitterness cause you to disrespect an 18 year old kid.

Come on dude....give us some feedback on what's the word with your cuz. He done or .....?

Advertisement
I wish people here would save the Phony thing until signing day at least.

I know these kids need to have thick skin and all that, but this kid could very well be a Cane come signing day. Let us play some games and then see what happens.

I live in UGA country and trust me, if they go on one of their usual skids where they lose 3 out of 4 or something, he'll see how great their fans are. They call for Richt's head constantly and his assistants even more. The assistants get the business even after big wins.

The UM roster had 6 #1s in the secondary. To put in comparison LSU has had 3 #1s with Peterson, Claiborne and Reid in the secondary.

Great to see another Cane coaching So Fl high school. So many smart Canes with degrees that we should own all the High Schools. As I remember, Mike was one of three 1st round picks from our championship team's secondary. 3 #1 from one secondary in one year. Eat your heart out LSU and Bama. I cannot remember anyone ever doing that before or since. What a team? Go get 'em Mike. We have not forgetten! Thanks for all the memories and the title.

How long before he starts trashing UM on Twitter if we don't offer a marginal guy from his school? Needs to a do a better job with a guy like Magic Chef Michel. Should sit down and take some lessons from Donnell Bennett.

This thread is on a good guy, Cane, and HS coach. Not fair to Rumph to suspect he would ever go all Chad Wilson.

Not bitter at all. iPhone auto correct but your boy is phony.

Advertisement
Back