Mike rumph comment from Nebraska game

Just pointing out a little hypocrisy (this comment does not necessarily portray my opinion):

Everyone jumps on AG for getting conservative with leads. Everyone hammered him after FSU. Against Nebraska we picked up a big early lead and decided to keep our foot on the pedal. Our offense looked the same, even deep into the 3rd/early 4th. If we convert one of those five redzone trips into a TD, Kaaya doesn't throw an INT in the endzone, or we don't get a long TD play called back, then the game would have ended way before those late game shenanigans.

On the other hand, if we dial back the tempo and get our running game moving at some point in the 4th, then those late game shenanigans wouldn't have have happened. Rumph has a point in the sense that AG can do nothing right at this point. Can you blame us, though? I can appreciate the decision to stay aggressive, but at a certain point we needed to dial things back a little bit and trust our run game. One or two first downs on the ground would have sealed that game.

...on to the next one.

You can be aggressive and smart with a 23 point lead late in the game. Keep throwing the ball, but run some clock in the process. It's smart football v. dumb football. Smart football is keep taking your shots, but run the clock down in the process.

Advertisement
Just pointing out a little hypocrisy (this comment does not necessarily portray my opinion):

Everyone jumps on AG for getting conservative with leads. Everyone hammered him after FSU. Against Nebraska we picked up a big early lead and decided to keep our foot on the pedal. Our offense looked the same, even deep into the 3rd/early 4th. If we convert one of those five redzone trips into a TD, Kaaya doesn't throw an INT in the endzone, or we don't get a long TD play called back, then the game would have ended way before those late game shenanigans.

On the other hand, if we dial back the tempo and get our running game moving at some point in the 4th, then those late game shenanigans wouldn't have have happened. Rumph has a point in the sense that AG can do nothing right at this point. Can you blame us, though? I can appreciate the decision to stay aggressive, but at a certain point we needed to dial things back a little bit and trust our run game. One or two first downs on the ground would have sealed that game.

...on to the next one.

I think the most appropriate complaint is that Al Golden has not shown the ability to change gears effectively. He doesn't seem to know how to keep his foot on the gas or when to wind the clock. For instance, in the Nebraska game, lots of people have mentioned how we still kept throwing the ball, etc. Many have pointed to that as the evidence for how he remained "aggressive."

Hardly anyone has talked about how he was still allowing his offense to snap the ball with 15-20 seconds on the clock. You can keep your play calling aggressive and wind the clock the down at the exact same time. NFL teams do it all the time. Up tempo teams like Green Bay and New England blend various speeds as needed based on scenario(s).

Exactly!
Very good point!

...on to the next one.

You can be aggressive and smart with a 23 point lead late in the game. Keep throwing the ball, but run some clock in the process. It's smart football v. dumb football. Smart football is keep taking your shots, but run the clock down in the process.

AG "can't win" because his team is incapable of stomping on somebody's throat. Poor guy; I feel so bad for him!

...on to the next one.

I think the most appropriate complaint is that Al Golden has not shown the ability to change gears effectively. He doesn't seem to know how to keep his foot on the gas or when to wind the clock. For instance, in the Nebraska game, lots of people have mentioned how we still kept throwing the ball, etc. Many have pointed to that as the evidence for how he remained "aggressive."

Hardly anyone has talked about how he was still allowing his offense to snap the ball with 15-20 seconds on the clock. You can keep your play calling aggressive and wind the clock the down at the exact same time. NFL teams do it all the time. Up tempo teams like Green Bay and New England blend various speeds as needed based on scenario(s).

Exactly!

I think you're spot on with that analysis. Its almost like removing variables in a science project.

Oversimplified: If an uptempo passing attack is what got us that lead, then why not keep doing it? Very early in the game we were faced with a new issue, a new goal--burning the clock and sealing a victory. Yes, points win games, but we know that a lot more goes into sealing a victory. Since we were faced with this new dilemma--whether we keep doing what what got us the lead versus trying to seal the victory--why not remove one variable at a time?

Like you said, we could have remained aggressive but while using a slower tempo. Changing tempo is only one variable to a team's offensive attack. It's really easy to control and it helps us achieve the second prong of our dilemma, sealing the victory. AG seems like the kind of person who needs to take a step back before making decisions. It's almost like he needs to plan for as my scenarios as possible and hope that his preparation has touched upon those things. He doesn't seem very creative.

...on to the next one.

Exactly!

I think you're spot on with that analysis. Its almost like removing variables in a science project.

Oversimplified: If an uptempo passing attack is what got us that lead, then why not keep doing it? Very early in the game we were faced with a new issue, a new goal--burning the clock and sealing a victory. Yes, points win games, but we know that a lot more goes into sealing a victory. Since we were faced with this new dilemma--whether we keep doing what what got us the lead versus trying to seal the victory--why not remove one variable at a time?

Like you said, we could have remained aggressive but while using a slower tempo. Changing tempo is only one variable to a team's offensive attack. It's really easy to control and it helps us achieve the second prong of our dilemma, sealing the victory. AG seems like the kind of person who needs to take a step back before making decisions. It's almost like he needs to plan for as my scenarios as possible and hope that his preparation has touched upon those things. He doesn't seem very creative.

That is exactly it. It is the biggest problem, though.

It is why I concluded, years ago, that he is unlikely to be the type of coach who can successfully navigate through the new college football landscape (playoffs, multiple meaningful games, longer season) with any consistency. So many "new situations" pop up now in-game and throughout a presumably longer season that what I look for in a coach is adaptability. Like that dude up north who won the 'ship last season. In the absence of lucking into that type of situation, we need someone with an elite aspect to their approach - whether that's Xs and Os or identification of talent.

Advertisement

...on to the next one.

AG "can't win" because his team is incapable of stomping on somebody's throat. Poor guy; I feel so bad for him!

I love the "poor Al can't win" line of ****. He could win if he wasn't such a loser. You don't lose a 23 point lead against a bad team in the last 9 minutes of a game and expect plaudits.

If Armstrong didn't throw that ball directly to Corn instead of the wide open receiver in the endzone in OT, Folden should have been fired on the spot. Instead, because Armstrong gagged people are feeling sorry for Folden for catching **** for one of the most epic collapses in the history of college football.

He's 100% on point and its the number one reason why golden has no business being the head coach at UM. When the marketplace hates the product with the intensity they do now, you simply have to make a change.

Whats crazier IMO is that even if UM can win 8 or 9 games this season and the fans will still want golden gone.

Are you ******* kidding my dude? Look how trash our schedule is.

He's 100% on point and its the number one reason why golden has no business being the head coach at UM. When the marketplace hates the product with the intensity they do now, you simply have to make a change.

Whats crazier IMO is that even if UM can win 8 or 9 games this season and the fans will still want golden gone.

Are you ****ing kidding my dude? Look how trash our schedule is.

Holden's been losing on the field and off the field for five years, his recruiting is fkin horrendous and it shows on Saturdays. The worst that can happen to this program is him being retained, it's sad a lot of um fans can't see this but I strive for the upcoming years for us to be dominant. Keeping him means al salad studs to Lsu uf fsu Alabama auburn, and Texas will soon start cherry picking no matter how bad they look right now.

Holden's been losing on the field and off the field for five years, his recruiting is fkin horrendous and it shows on Saturdays. The worst that can happen to this program is him being retained, it's sad a lot of um fans can't see this but I strive for the upcoming years for us to be dominant. Keeping him means al salad studs to Lsu uf fsu Alabama auburn, and Texas will soon start cherry picking no matter how bad they look right now.

Exactly! He's a human piece of garbage and a bum! Firing him and the human strip club discount flyer he calls a defensive coordinator is a massive overnight improvement to the team, the University, the City of Miami, and the Great State of Florida. Golden is a pox.

Advertisement

Exactly! He's a human piece of garbage and a bum! Firing him and the human strip club discount flyer he calls a defensive coordinator is a massive overnight improvement to the team, the University, the City of Miami, and the Great State of Florida. Golden is a pox.

Pennypacker. How's Kel Varnsen doing?

Pennypacker. How's Kel Varnsen doing?

Hacen't seen him since the Puerto Rican Day Parade.

You should post much more often.

giphy.gif

You should post much more often.

View attachment 31979

You might know me as the honorable Ruler Zig Zag Zig Allah from the WEZ (for some reason can't log in here using that name).

Advertisement

...on to the next one.

There's a difference between trying to play conservatively and run out the clock when you're only up by 6 in the 3rd quarter...and doing so when you're up by 23 in the 4th. Very different scenarios that call for different schematic attacks. Wanting them to be treated as such does not make one a hypocrite.

Advertisement
Back