Mike Jackson of Palmetto is this years TuTu Atwell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Bull. ****E.

Just a complete load of bullsh!te. The kid was a QB. It's great that he has developed as a WR, but Miami did not make a mistake.
BIG MISTAKE

BAD EVAL

1.) Tu Tu Atwell wasnt like the typical kid who wanted to play qb in college and was locked in at that.
2.) His father was an all conference wr in college
Everyone including himself knew he would play wr in college. He worked out as a wr the whole eval/camp circuit. They were hung up on size. I was on the Tu Tu Atwell brigade when he came out

Bull. ****E.

Just a complete load of bullsh!te. The kid was a QB. It's great that he has developed as a WR, but Miami did not make a mistake.
He was a QB ON HIS HIGH SCHOOL TEAM GENIUS!
He didn't project as a QB for the next level.

He was the best player in Dade and the most explosive player IN THE STATE that year.
Complete fumble by our staff.

Anybody with half a brain knew he could be a great slot WR.
The **** are you talkin' about?

BIG MISTAKE

BAD EVAL

1.) Tu Tu Atwell wasnt like the typical kid who wanted to play qb in college and was locked in at that.
Everyone including himself knew he would play wr in college. He worked out as a wr the whole eval/camp circuit. They were hung up on size. I was on the Tu Tu Atwell brigade when he came out
Bruh...
What in the world is this guy talkin' about?

He was a QB in high school because he gave MNW the best shot at a successful offense, not cause HE WAS ACTUALLY A QB!

MF'ing kid was taking zone/read plays to the crib every week against D1 competition. I watched him single handily dominate teams.

BIG MISTAKE

BAD EVAL

Look, for 20 years, Miami has always had a brigade of fans who tout every 3-star SoFla kid as some kid that "if only Miami offered him" would become the best player in UM history. I understand that, and I'm not knocking it.

And I'm very happy that Atwell developed into a fine player. I have nothing against the kid.

I am being very specific, and addressing this "3-years after the fact" rewriting of history that goes on with every successful college player from SoFla who never got a Miami offer. And the "only blame Miami" mentality among SoFla fans.

For instance, look at Atwell's offer list. The ONLY P5 offers he had were from Illinois and Louisville (one of his latest offers). Valdosta State, USF, UAB, Toledo, Northern Colorado, McNeese State, Marshall, Georgia State, FIU, East Carolina, FAU (as well as Illinois and Louisville). Again, that's not a knock against the kid, it's just support for the fact that IF YOU CLAIM MIAMI MADE A BAD EVAL, so did over 60 other Power Five schools. So let's not pretend this is a "Miami" miss. The kid went to Northwestern, even Alabama knows how to find Northwestern.

Here's the usual, certain Miami fans want to sit back and look at the final outcome. Atwell didn't get an offer. Miami signed 4 WRs, two of whom transferred out. Ipso facto, Miami must have made a mistake. Bad, bad Miami. Bad.

And, yes, Miami was actually "hung up on size" with Atwell. He was listed at 5'8" and 150 pounds. But Miami was ALSO hung up on his lack of reps and tape at the WR position, compared to the guys we DID offer and DID sign. People need to just stop it with the "Atwell knew he would play WR" nonsense. WHEN HE COMMITTED TO FAU, it was as a QB. Yeah, maybe his dad played WR, and maybe Tutu knew he would play WR, but during recruiting, EVERYONE (not just Miami) evaluated him like a QB (and later in his recruitment, as an all-purpose-back who might play in the slot as a WR).

And let's not forget, the primary attribute that everyone keeps talking about, that Miami woulda/coulda/shoulda identified, is Atwell's speed. Not his hands. Not his ability to high-point a ball. Not his route-running abilities. His speed.

So what was Miami doing? Well, we had a "speed" guy committed since 2015 in Dee Wiggins. Yeah, he hasn't developed well, but he was a "speed" guy and he had reps and tape as a WR. And he was also taller and heavier than Atwell. Now, the fact that Wiggins was the lowest-rated of our 4 WR signees that year, he's usually the one who could be identified as "we should have taken Atwell over him". Yet Wiggins was a half-foot taller, 20 pounds heavier, and 250 spots higher-ranked (per 247), as well as committed to UM for a year earlier than Atwell committed to FAU.

Should we have taken Atwell over Mark Pope or Brian Hightower? Come on, now, those were 4-star Top 250 kids. If Miami signs a 3-star Top 750 kid over Pope/Hightower, Miami fans would be rioting in the streets.

And finally, Marquez Ezzard. I get it, he's an easy target for "woulda/coulda/shoulda". He's not from SoFla, and he transferred out. On the other hand, he was a 4-star and also picked Miami well after Atwell picked FAU, and then Louisville. And maybe you are going to tell us that Atwell would have flipped to Miami on National Signing Day, if only they had called. OK, sure, whatever. But no other Power 5 school offered Atwell DURING HIS ENTIRE SENIOR YEAR except for Illinois.

And look at Miami's offer list for that class. Justin Shorter, Amon-Ra St. Brown, Terrace Marshall, Jaylen Waddle, Justyn Ross, Jacob Copeland, Kamryn Babb, Kevin Austin, Justin Watkins, Matthew Hill, Joshua Moore, Al'Vonte Woodard, Jalen Hall, Kearis Jackson, Xavier Williams, CJ Moore, Warren Thompson, Anthony Schwartz, Elijah Moore, Jahan Dotson, Tommy Bush, Joey Gatewood (and there are others I left off the list). And yes, most of them had 4 stars and were over 6', but they also had WR reps and tape. In 2018, Richt did not take ANY "developmental" WRs. It's true.

So, yeah, we can play the "Miami woulda/coulda/shoulda" game, as Atwell is a better prospect currently than Wiggins or Pope or Hightower or Ezzard. But given the fact that Atwell had TWO Power Five offers...given the fact that FAU took him as a QB...given the fact that he didn't have a lot of reps or tape with which to evaluate him as a WR...given the fact that Miami had a longtime (Golden era) commit from Wiggins and two other highly-rated WRs in Pope and Hightower...and given that we got a late commit from Ezzard when guys like Schwartz did not come our way, while Atwell committed to FAU 16 months before Signing Day and Louisville 6 months before Signing Day...

There is no way in **** that this is some sort of "bad eval by Miami". As happens every year, there are some kids who get overlooked by ALL of the Power Five schools. And maybe it motivates them, and I'm happy to see kids develop and "prove us wrong", but it is VERY EASY to try to play the "after-the-fact" game by acting as if this was an obvious and egregious "miss" on Miami's part. I realize you were on this kid's support brigade, but you also love a lot of SoFla kids who don't develop to Atwell's level. Nobody blames you or criticizes you.

Advertisement
Look, for 20 years, Miami has always had a brigade of fans who tout every 3-star SoFla kid as some kid that "if only Miami offered him" would become the best player in UM history. I understand that, and I'm not knocking it.

And I'm very happy that Atwell developed into a fine player. I have nothing against the kid.

I am being very specific, and addressing this "3-years after the fact" rewriting of history that goes on with every successful college player from SoFla who never got a Miami offer. And the "only blame Miami" mentality among SoFla fans.

For instance, look at Atwell's offer list. The ONLY P5 offers he had were from Illinois and Louisville (one of his latest offers). Valdosta State, USF, UAB, Toledo, Northern Colorado, McNeese State, Marshall, Georgia State, FIU, East Carolina, FAU (as well as Illinois and Louisville). Again, that's not a knock against the kid, it's just support for the fact that IF YOU CLAIM MIAMI MADE A BAD EVAL, so did over 60 other Power Five schools. So let's not pretend this is a "Miami" miss. The kid went to Northwestern, even Alabama knows how to find Northwestern.

Here's the usual, certain Miami fans want to sit back and look at the final outcome. Atwell didn't get an offer. Miami signed 4 WRs, two of whom transferred out. Ipso facto, Miami must have made a mistake. Bad, bad Miami. Bad.

And, yes, Miami was actually "hung up on size" with Atwell. He was listed at 5'8" and 150 pounds. But Miami was ALSO hung up on his lack of reps and tape at the WR position, compared to the guys we DID offer and DID sign. People need to just stop it with the "Atwell knew he would play WR" nonsense. WHEN HE COMMITTED TO FAU, it was as a QB. Yeah, maybe his dad played WR, and maybe Tutu knew he would play WR, but during recruiting, EVERYONE (not just Miami) evaluated him like a QB (and later in his recruitment, as an all-purpose-back who might play in the slot as a WR).

And let's not forget, the primary attribute that everyone keeps talking about, that Miami woulda/coulda/shoulda identified, is Atwell's speed. Not his hands. Not his ability to high-point a ball. Not his route-running abilities. His speed.

So what was Miami doing? Well, we had a "speed" guy committed since 2015 in Dee Wiggins. Yeah, he hasn't developed well, but he was a "speed" guy and he had reps and tape as a WR. And he was also taller and heavier than Atwell. Now, the fact that Wiggins was the lowest-rated of our 4 WR signees that year, he's usually the one who could be identified as "we should have taken Atwell over him". Yet Wiggins was a half-foot taller, 20 pounds heavier, and 250 spots higher-ranked (per 247), as well as committed to UM for a year earlier than Atwell committed to FAU.

Should we have taken Atwell over Mark Pope or Brian Hightower? Come on, now, those were 4-star Top 250 kids. If Miami signs a 3-star Top 750 kid over Pope/Hightower, Miami fans would be rioting in the streets.

And finally, Marquez Ezzard. I get it, he's an easy target for "woulda/coulda/shoulda". He's not from SoFla, and he transferred out. On the other hand, he was a 4-star and also picked Miami well after Atwell picked FAU, and then Louisville. And maybe you are going to tell us that Atwell would have flipped to Miami on National Signing Day, if only they had called. OK, sure, whatever. But no other Power 5 school offered Atwell DURING HIS ENTIRE SENIOR YEAR except for Illinois.

And look at Miami's offer list for that class. Justin Shorter, Amon-Ra St. Brown, Terrace Marshall, Jaylen Waddle, Justyn Ross, Jacob Copeland, Kamryn Babb, Kevin Austin, Justin Watkins, Matthew Hill, Joshua Moore, Al'Vonte Woodard, Jalen Hall, Kearis Jackson, Xavier Williams, CJ Moore, Warren Thompson, Anthony Schwartz, Elijah Moore, Jahan Dotson, Tommy Bush, Joey Gatewood (and there are others I left off the list). And yes, most of them had 4 stars and were over 6', but they also had WR reps and tape. In 2018, Richt did not take ANY "developmental" WRs. It's true.

So, yeah, we can play the "Miami woulda/coulda/shoulda" game, as Atwell is a better prospect currently than Wiggins or Pope or Hightower or Ezzard. But given the fact that Atwell had TWO Power Five offers...given the fact that FAU took him as a QB...given the fact that he didn't have a lot of reps or tape with which to evaluate him as a WR...given the fact that Miami had a longtime (Golden era) commit from Wiggins and two other highly-rated WRs in Pope and Hightower...and given that we got a late commit from Ezzard when guys like Schwartz did not come our way, while Atwell committed to FAU 16 months before Signing Day and Louisville 6 months before Signing Day...

There is no way in **** that this is some sort of "bad eval by Miami". As happens every year, there are some kids who get overlooked by ALL of the Power Five schools. And maybe it motivates them, and I'm happy to see kids develop and "prove us wrong", but it is VERY EASY to try to play the "after-the-fact" game by acting as if this was an obvious and egregious "miss" on Miami's part. I realize you were on this kid's support brigade, but you also love a lot of SoFla kids who don't develop to Atwell's level. Nobody blames you or criticizes you.
I stopped reading after a couple paragraphs. It's everything that's wrong with the discussion on evals.

"IF YOU CLAIM MIAMI MADE A BAD EVAL, so did over 60 other Power Five schools."

That's got to be amongst the most absurd things I've ever read on this site. You miss both the concept of evals and the reality of cfb recruiting. 60 schools aren't evaluating every kid in every region, or even every kid in miami. They may hit a radar screen but they ain't spending real time and resources on every kid they read about. Some kids become nationally recruited or regionally recruited because that's how the system works. Others slip through the cracks. Can be size, injuries, when they started playing, who played ahead of them, whether they made the camp circuit. Doesn't really matter. The point is that the local school is supposed to be the one that figures out which kids in its own back yard are worth offers, irrespective of what some idiotic recruiting services say. And surely irrespective of what the rest of D1 programs outside their backyard say.

Now you can try to say hindsight blah blah, but that's also an weak point. Because it's not even true, and it doesn't help anyone understand recruiting. This isn't some board game or recruiting site debate. Figuring out which kids to offer is the staff's effin job. And it's not just hindsight. If you learn who to pay attention to on the relevant UM sites, and there are several sites and several folks to pay attention to, you can quickly figure out that there's a pattern to the stupidity. There are plenty of kids over time that the locals knew would be good (or conversely not good), and UM staffs didn't take them, or did, because not only did they suck at evals, they also sucked at paying attention to information a fan with a computer could access.

If we were somehow hitting on evals well and it was a rare kid here or there, meh, that's random. But that ain't the truth. And there were people on this site talking about Atwell, the guy you responded to included. So you say hindsight because you think it makes you sound smart, while he was actually there with - get this - foresight. Meanwhile, it wasn't just Atwell. Elijah Moore wanted in that class and others on this site preferred him. No one I recall wanted Ezzard. That was just Dugans and Richt mis-evaluating WRs.

TUTU played QB at the West. Maybe he didn’t want to play nothing else but that, then Louisville convinced him to switch.
He was an unproven commodity at WR. So, you're evaluating an unknown against SF kids who've excelled at the position.

Kudos to Louisville for evaluating his talent. The best player on most high school teams is the QB.

He was an unproven commodity at WR. So, you're evaluating an unknown against SF kids who've excelled at the position.

Kudos to Louisville for evaluating his talent. The best player on most high school teams is the QB.
Yeh but Pope was clearly a stud Wr in Sfla. It’s different when you had to pick one.

We didn't have to pick vs. Atwell or Pope. We had spots. Bring Atwell in as a BALLER athlete and find a spot on the field for him. The kid was a local legend since he was like 5. I know we had some duds like Sam Bruce. But most of those were due to off-field issues. The local legends almost always pay off.

Advertisement
I stopped reading after a couple paragraphs. It's everything that's wrong with the discussion on evals.

"IF YOU CLAIM MIAMI MADE A BAD EVAL, so did over 60 other Power Five schools."

That's got to be amongst the most absurd things I've ever read on this site. You miss both the concept of evals and the reality of cfb recruiting. 60 schools aren't evaluating every kid in every region, or even every kid in miami. They may hit a radar screen but they ain't spending real time and resources on every kid they read about. Some kids become nationally recruited or regionally recruited because that's how the system works. Others slip through the cracks. Can be size, injuries, when they started playing, who played ahead of them, whether they made the camp circuit. Doesn't really matter. The point is that the local school is supposed to be the one that figures out which kids in its own back yard are worth offers, irrespective of what some idiotic recruiting services say. And surely irrespective of what the rest of D1 programs outside their backyard say.

Now you can try to say hindsight blah blah, but that's also an weak point. Because it's not even true, and it doesn't help anyone understand recruiting. This isn't some board game or recruiting site debate. Figuring out which kids to offer is the staff's effin job. And it's not just hindsight. If you learn who to pay attention to on the relevant UM sites, and there are several sites and several folks to pay attention to, you can quickly figure out that there's a pattern to the stupidity. There are plenty of kids over time that the locals knew would be good (or conversely not good), and UM staffs didn't take them, or did, because not only did they suck at evals, they also sucked at paying attention to information a fan with a computer could access.

If we were somehow hitting on evals well and it was a rare kid here or there, meh, that's random. But that ain't the truth. And there were people on this site talking about Atwell, the guy you responded to included. So you say hindsight because you think it makes you sound smart, while he was actually there with - get this - foresight. Meanwhile, it wasn't just Atwell. Elijah Moore wanted in that class and others on this site preferred him. No one I recall wanted Ezzard. That was just Dugans and Richt mis-evaluating WRs.

Go ***** yourself.

Atwell was in the Top 750 players. Schools can sign 25 players per year. To oversimplify for a moment, that means he could conceivably expect to snag an offer once the Top 30 recruiting classes are filled up. Which means (roughly) that Atwell would have been considered a "reach" for, say, the Top 20 to 25 recruiting classes. But that also means he was a prime target for at least 40 Power 5 programs.

Furthermore, Atwell went to Miami Northwestern. Not exactly a "fall through the cracks" school.

As for the rest of your delusional post, it's largely based on some concept that the coaches pay attention to the boards in order to do recruiting. Bottom line, this thread is about TuTu Atwell, not every single WR that Miami has recruited for 20 years.

And on the subject of evals, it is NOT Miami's "job" to evaluate every kid in SoFla for the benefit of every other program in the country. If Miami wanted to change TuTu's position from QB to WR, that is up to them. We were not interested in taking a developmental ATH who we would convert from QB to WR. We took 4 WRs who were already WRs.

BIG MISTAKE

BAD EVAL

He’s like Roscoe Parrish and should’ve been a cane as well.

Advertisement
Yeh but Pope was clearly a stud Wr in Sfla. It’s different when you had to pick one.
That's my point. If you're Miami, your going to recruit guys with a proven production at their position. I gave Louisville credit, but schools that can't get top proven talent have to do more projecting. So, these schools are always going to get some diamonds out of a pile of rocks because they harvest more rocks.

Are some of you MF'ers serious?

It didn't take a rocket scientist to know that Atwell could excel at slot WR.
HE WAS THE MOST EXPLOSIVE PLAYER IN THE STATE THAT YEAR!!!!

"hE wAs A qB iN hIgHsChOoL."

That doesn't fvckin' matter!
Many kids go to college and play different positions then they did in high school.
You evaluate a kid's skill-set and athleticism and PROJECT him to a position.

Stevie Wonder could see that Atwell had the tools to be a good slot.

This has NOTHING to do with hindsight. Many of us were begging Miami to offer Atwell at the time.

Advertisement
That's my point. If you're Miami, your going to recruit guys with a proven production at their position. I gave Louisville credit, but schools that can't get top proven talent have to do more projecting. So, these schools are always going to get some diamonds out of a pile of rocks because they harvest more rocks.

Umm...that's been us lately.

1. Those other P5 schools aren't located in Miami, and they usually have "bigger fish" to fry. It's completely different when a kid like Atwell is right down the street.
2. Miami should ALWAYS take the best FOOTBALL PLAYER in South Florida EVERY YEAR. Throw height and all that **** out of the window. And Atwell was THE best player in South Florida that year.

What other P5 schools do should be irrelevant to Miami, especially when it comes to evaluating local kids.
The whole South Florida high school football community knew Atwell was a stud.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back