Mike Defee, referee from LSU-Miami game works under one of LSU’s biggest donors

I’m not pretending to be anything but honest. LSU dominated UM and took their foot of the gas late or it would have been worse. It was a beat down. Denial is what it is.

This is all coming to light because there is a federal investigation centered around an organization in Baton Rouge which has ties to the athletic programs at LSU. In fact, the main person being investigated is David Funes’ brother, John. When people start lawyering up, others may take notice.

No one is denying anything. This guy is coming up in every LSU non-conference P5 game dating back to 2007 (except Syracuse in 2015). I simply don’t think he should be refereeing LSU games.

I would have posted this regardless of our game in 2017. It’s a story.

Last edited:
Advertisement
This is all coming to light because there is a federal investigation centered around an organization in Baton Rouge which has ties to the athletic programs at LSU. In fact, the main person being investigated is David Funes’ brother, John. When people start lawyering up, others may take notice.

No one is denying anything. This guy is coming up in every LSU non-conference P5 game dating back to 2007 (except Syracuse in 2015 and Wisconsin in 2016). I simply don’t think he should be refereeing LSU games.

I agree. Just pointing out that he had nothing to do with the outcome. We could have played L$U 50 times last year and would have been 0/50!

I didn't see it as making excuses, just simply put the referee in context (I sure as well wouldnt know who Mike Defee is) and then just stating something that seems odd or fishy.

Schools are dropping bags on recruits, why not on refs? was the point I took from it.

The SEC is miles ahead of all others when it comes to all methods of cheating.

They don't even call it $bags...they call it buying insurance

And they plan to stay well insured against EVERY eventuality.

Advertisement

No one is denying anything. This guy is coming up in every LSU non-conference P5 game dating back to 2007 (except Syracuse in 2015). I simply don’t think he should be refereeing LSU games.

This is crazy in its own right too. Why is the NCAA allowing one ref to continually referee the one or two games a team plays out of conference? Wtf is going on here.

Advertisement
Refs were not the reason Miami got beat down. Quit trying to make other excuses besides the players and the coaches
Their center was constantly flinching his non snapping hand drawing our guys offsides and never got called for it. I seriously assert nobodys making excuses but you can't say that game wouldn't have been different if properly officiated. Lest we forget a bad call cost us a Natty courtesy of that POS Porter. Another bad call cost us a Natty in 88 at nd too. LSU may have still won but it would've been a closer game. Officiating DOES make a difference.

Their center was constantly flinching his non snapping hand drawing our guys offsides and never got called for it. I seriously assert nobodys making excuses but you can't say that game wouldn't have been different if properly officiated. Lest we forget a bad call cost us a Natty courtesy of that POS Porter. Another bad call cost us a Natty in 88 at nd too. LSU may have still won but it would've been a closer game. Officiating DOES make a difference.

Your examples are horrible. I agree the one call made a huge difference in those very close games. Was this ref in charge of calling the so called non snapping hand drawing? The Dline should have been watching the "snapping" hand. Would it have made basically a 30 point difference(dont count the late TD gimmes they allowed us)

Advertisement
Advertisement
Your examples are horrible. I agree the one call made a huge difference in those very close games. Was this ref in charge of calling the so called non snapping hand drawing? The Dline should have been watching the "snapping" hand. Would it have made basically a 30 point difference(dont count the late TD gimmes they allowed us)
True the d line should've been watching the snap hand but a false start is a false start and said false starts should've been called. Horrible example? Hardly. I've played enough and seen enough to know just how much rogue officials can change a game. We'll agree to disagree.

Last edited:
This doesn’t surprise me at all

It’s definitely happening all over college football

Referees should have to report any outside employment to the NCAA when applying for a ref job
You would hope.

Maybe it's time to consolidate and centralize ALL CFB refs into 1 org, kind of like MLB did years ago with Umps. At least you could potentially eliminate some regional bias' while standardizing rules application across NCAA.

Would also work well with replay, which seems a joke the way administered, interpreted conference to conference imo.

You would hope.

Maybe it's time to consolidate and centralize ALL CFB refs into 1 org, kind of like MLB did years ago with Umps. At least you could potentially eliminate some regional bias' while standardizing rules application across NCAA.

Would also work well with replay, which seems a joke the way administered, interpreted conference to conference imo.

Agreed

What also irks me is that all this information is merely a google search away. Does our staff not get notified a week in advance of who is going to be officiating our games? Do they not do research on these people? I definitely would given the current climate in college athletics

There will always be an inherit "bias" in people because that's just human nature, but we can't have refs working with hidden agendas/ulterior motive, especially when money is involved

Advertisement
Back