Mike Defee, referee from LSU-Miami game works under one of LSU’s biggest donors

Refs were not the reason Miami got beat down. Quit trying to make other excuses besides the players and the coaches
Bingo we have a winner. Richt’s family could have been on that crew and we still lose! The game was a mismatch. LSU dominated UM had nothing to do with who reffed the game. Some here have absolutely no clue.

Advertisement
I didn't see it as making excuses, just simply put the referee in context (I sure as well wouldnt know who Mike Defee is) and then just stating something that seems odd or fishy.

Schools are dropping bags on recruits, why not on refs? was the point I took from it.

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...

Honestly it is very fishy and could be a cause of concern in the future. However, if we would have had an average Quarterback throwing passes for us we win that game. The refs were not the reason we lost that game, Malik Rosier was.

Advertisement
I didn't see it as making excuses, just simply put the referee in context (I sure as well wouldnt know who Mike Defee is) and then just stating something that seems odd or fishy.

Schools are dropping bags on recruits, why not on refs? was the point I took from it.

Bags are definitely dropped on refs. There's no chance all bias is removed from the profession. I'd **** sure have a hard time calling a Canes game fairly even without a payoff.

Hello Fiasco Bowl

Is this normal?

Mike Defee is a Big 12 referee. He has been with the BIg 12 since 2006. His backstory is that he was a journeyman electrician who began officiating high school games to make extra money. He worked his way in to the Sun Belt Conference and eventually the Big 12.

What is odd is that it seems like he was still a electrician in 2006 when he moved up to the Big 12. But by 2007 he was the President of company who oversaw 4 other companies with hundreds of employees. In about 2010 he acquired his own Cessna.

That Company is a part of a subsidiary tree that is pretty confusing, but the Newtron Group is the parent company. And three people, who might be lawyering up after a federal investigation into a Baton Rouge charity was announced, are all major TAF and OLOL donors, and the biggest players for Newtron. John Schempf, Newton B Thomas, and David Funes can all be googled at your leisure. All three are major donors and David Funes travels with the team and has been noted to stand on the sidelines at games.

This group has also donated millions of dollars in the form of construction work for LSU.

Is it not a conflict of interest to have this strong affiliation with major institutional donors while at the same time officiating the games of that institution?

Sources?

Advertisement
It doesn't matter if the score was 100-0. It's a conflict of interest. When one of the game's referees is an employee of one of the school's biggest donors, the credibility of the entire game has been tainted. Could you imagine if one of the referees in that game was a high level employee of the Soffer family? And if that referee had ejected Greedy Williams for a questionable targeting call? It would be shady as ****. Just because LSU won the game by 16 doesn't mean that there's no incredibly shady conflict of interest involved.

Advertisement
We lose that game either way.

But that’s not the point.

It’s some shlt that this guy is refereeing an LSU game. And are we sure he’s the one that kicked out Bandy? Because that was a bullshlt call.

You guys that are saying we would have lost the game anyway - you’re missing the entire point. I’m not arguing that. This should not be happening either way.

Advertisement
I’m not pretending to be anything but honest. LSU dominated UM and took their foot of the gas late or it would have been worse. It was a beat down. Denial is what it is.
Ya, but you aren’t comprehending the OP. It’s not about the outcome of a specific game, it’s about potential conflicts of interest when it comes to officiating.

Ya, but you aren’t comprehending the OP. It’s not about the outcome of a specific game, it’s about potential conflicts of interest when it comes to officiating.
I get it and going a step further that situation had nothing to do with the outcome.

I get it and going a step further that situation had nothing to do with the outcome.

Advertisement
Back