Mike Defee, referee from LSU-Miami game works under one of LSU’s biggest donors

Agreed

What also irks me is that all this information is merely a google search away. Does our staff not get notified a week in advance of who is going to be officiating our games? Do they not do research on these people? I definitely would given the current climate in college athletics

There will always be an inherit "bias" in people because that's just human nature, but we can't have refs working with hidden agendas/ulterior motive, especially when money is involved

Everything I posted is literallly a google search away or found on .gov sites. There were maybe three articles that I used wayback for.

The only thing that might be misinformation is regarding the Cessna. I assumed, from two quotes in different articles that he owned the plane (he said “his plane” as did another ref in a different article). But there is an aviation company under the umbrella of the parent company. If it is the case that a plane from the aviation company was used, then a company own by LSU donors was flying him to officiate LSU games. I find it hard to believe he owns a Cessna.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Everything I posted is literallly a google search away or found on .gov sites. There were maybe three articles that I used wayback for.

The only thing that might be misinformation is regarding the Cessna. I assumed, from two quotes in different articles that he owned the plane (he said “his plane” as did another ref in a different article). But there is an aviation company under the umbrella of the parent company. If that is the case then a company own by LSU donors was flying him to officiate LSU games. I find it hard to believe he owns a Cessna.
That depends on the Cessna. Years ago I worked with an 18 yr old kid who'd worked and saved and bought a 1958 Cessna 172. Now that plane is around $50-60k. They've been making them since 1955 and there are more of them out there than any other plane.

That depends on the Cessna. Years ago I worked with an 18 yr old kid who'd worked and saved and bought a 1958 Cessna 172. Now that plane is around $50-60k. They've been making them since 1955 and there are more of them out there than any other plane.

I can actually find the model number...

2015 TTX 240

Last edited:
Advertisement

Odds this guy owns an $750K plane? He was an electrician and High School referee most of his life. Although he is "President", he has no ownership in the company.

From Triad / Newtron Group website:

The Newtron Group is based in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, and owned by Newton B. Thomas. The company was founded by Thomas in 1973 as Newtron, a union industrial instrumentation contractor, to perform local and national projects but would quickly add electrical installation to its array of services. In 1977, Executive Aviation, a fixed-based operator (FBO) at Baton Rouge Metropolitan Airport, was acquired to house company aircraft and to provide hanger space and fueling services to the public.

Better odds that the planes are owned by Newtron

Here is a pic of the plane. This is also the third reference I have found to "his plane." I still doubt he owns that. I believe it is a asset of The Newtron Group. This is also the plane he flies to referee games.

Last edited:
Advertisement
You can't possibly tell me this dude didn't get some extra $$$ on the side to call his games a certain way.

This **** bird needs to be exposed and face the **** storm he deserves.

Is this normal?

Mike Defee is a Big 12 referee. He has been with the BIg 12 since 2006. His backstory is that he was a journeyman electrician who began officiating high school games to make extra money. He worked his way in to the Sun Belt Conference and eventually the Big 12.

What is odd is that it seems like he was still a electrician in 2006 when he moved up to the Big 12. But by 2007 he was the President of company who oversaw 4 other companies with hundreds of employees. In about 2010 he acquired his own Cessna. (EDIT: there as an aviation company under the umbrella of parent company, but Defee and a different ref called the plane “his plane” is two separate articles)

That Company is a part of a subsidiary tree that is pretty confusing, but the Newtron Group is the parent company. And three people, who might be lawyering up after a federal investigation into a Baton Rouge charity was announced, are all major TAF and OLOL donors, and the biggest players for Newtron. John Schempf, Newton B Thomas, and David Funes can all be googled at your leisure. All three are major donors and David Funes travels with the team and has been noted to stand on the sidelines at games.

This group has also donated millions of dollars in the form of construction work for LSU.

Is it not a conflict of interest to have this strong affiliation with major institutional donors while at the same time officiating the games of that institution?
Yep, that's why we got beat like a baby seal.

Advertisement
Yep, that's why we got beat like a baby seal.
Does it really matter that he didn't need to? What would have happened if it was close and needed just one pass interference call? Kinda of like a certain game against OSU in 2002.

LSU was starting at 1-0 unless we put in a performance like the 91 Cotton Bowl.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back