Might be a dumb question but, Why do colleges need the NCAA?

Think of the NCAA as being the commissioner. Its created by the schools for the schools to make sure everyone knows how things go. They just arent good at their job compared to a professional league commissioner

Advertisement
The NCAA IS the colleges. They did form their own association. It's called the NCAA.

You're basically saying "Why does the USA have so much control of the states."

It's not unlike the idea of federalism (NCAA) and how individual states (colleges) may abide by it's laws and rules. In theory you could have secession if states think the Fed is overplaying their hand. So in theory enough colleges can coalesce and do their own thing just like states but that led to the civil war. But what OP is saying is not an impossible scenario or a contradiction. Just not likely unless the majority of powerful colleges all give Emmert a unified middle finger and play when he states no college games until students are back in school.

It's sort of like how OPEC used to be. Instead of colluding to keep prices up; schools use the NCAA to keep prices down.

It's not unlike the idea of federalism (NCAA) and how individual states (colleges) may abide by it's laws and rules. In theory you could have secession if states think the Fed is overplaying their hand. So in theory enough colleges can coalesce and do their own thing just like states but that led to the civil war. But what OP is saying is not an impossible scenario or a contradiction. Just not likely unless the majority of powerful colleges all give Emmert a unified middle finger and play when he states no college games until students are back in school.

We've probably been on the brink of this notion multiple times, particularly during the conference expansion years.

I'd imagine game theory applies here, wherein the benefit of collectivism is ultimately better for individual schools and going on their own.

If a bunch did join forces, all you're doing is replacing the NCAA with the NCAA^2.

Because lazy colleges and universities, just like people, always let a Central Planning Committee filled with Experts run the show . . .

Advertisement
Dude... you are a serious arms collector. Other than the AR15 I have an old Ruger 10/22 I bought in 1972 when I was 18 y.o. A couple of years ago I had the steal re-blued and I spent a couple of weeks slowly refurbishing the wood... I'm not a wood expert but it is very nice stuff. Also I do have 6 handguns from .45 to .380 and I have a conceal permit. Do I meet your minimum qualifications?
Definitely. You fill in a weak spot for me, handguns. Got several, 1911, Dirty Harry .44, Browning hi power and SW 59 but can't shoot them worth a crap except draw and snap shot. If I aim, forget about it. I'm lefty with cross eye dominate thing. Handgun is in front of wrong eye. Long gun, however, I hold to my right shoulder and hold with left hand. Steady aim I can hold forever. I had that Ruger too. Nice weapon. One of my kids manged to talk me out of it for his 21st birthday.

Most of my collection came before gun prices went though the roof. My Garands cost like $80 each from NRA decades ago and the carbine cost like $60 in gun store. Can't touch that stuff today. I have lots of pre 1963 stuff. It was just a habit for me that turned into "collecting" when values caused me to take security measures. Best investment I ever made.

I love the old stuff, but it has gotten a little heavy for me so the AR style is better for use. Amazing how much they cost. I parted with one of the M1's in trade a while back for pair ARs for the wife and I, with bunch of clips and ammo. First "modern" weapon for me. Other than that, I haven't really bought anything is years. I admit, I do not miss the bruised shoulder from the old steel plate stuff. Keep your powder dry my friend.

Advertisement
Back