Might be a dumb question but, Why do colleges need the NCAA?

Advertisement
Walkinand out.gif

The NCAA goes back to the 1905 meeting between Theodore Roosevelt and the Ivy League teams. That was around the time that football spread outside the Northeast, and started to become more organized.

Advertisement
Why does the NCAA have so much control of what goes on?
Why dont the power 5 conferences just give them the bird on form there own athletic association?

Reality is the NCAA operates like a cartel. Essentially its the central administrator for price fixing. If the P5 conferences acted independently, then one of them could unilaterally decide to pay players. The other conferences would have to follow suit to be competitive. Schools would get into bidding wars, which means less money for coaches and ADs. So essentially all the schools recognize that skyrocketing player salaries are the inevitable outcome and so it's in most of the schools best interests to agree to be NCAA members because it keeps all the other schools honest.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Why does the NCAA have so much control of what goes on?
Why dont the power 5 conferences just give them the bird on form there own athletic association?
Every sport has a governing body on a large scale... high school sports (HFHS), NFL, NHL, soccer (FIFA), ATP, etc.
Even if you are an independent you play by NCAA rules.
Dude does stay at home got you scheming a siege?

Every sport has a governing body on a large scale... high school sports (HFHS), NFL, NHL, soccer (FIFA), ATP, etc.
Even if you are an independent you play by NCAA rules.
Dude does stay at home got you scheming a siege?
Does feel like we need something to go do, so why not a siege? Anyone have siege weapons? I have plenty semi-auto small arms but nothing over 30'06 or .308. I'm too old for a sit-in.

Advertisement
Need a governing body. We won't like their decisions all the time, but there has to be a uniform body, and the NCAA is what we've got right now. Could it be better? Of course.

The NCAA IS the colleges. They did form their own association. It's called the NCAA.

You're basically saying "Why does the USA have so much control of the states."
Stupid. The Feds aren’t supposed to control the states as much as they do. Little history lesson for u.

Advertisement
Does feel like we need something to go do, so why not a siege? Anyone have siege weapons? I have plenty semi-auto small arms but nothing over 30'06 or .308. I'm too old for a sit-in.
I'm game... I haven't even taken my AR15 out of the box but I'm ready with a couple of 30 round mags and a 1000 round box... also too old my knees are toast. So where do we meet?

I'm game... I haven't even taken my AR15 out of the box but I'm ready with a couple of 30 round mags and a 1000 round box... also too old my knees are toast. So where do we meet?
On a nice wide sidewalk somewhere. I use a mobility scooter for any sort of distance. What sucks is I have half dozen old M-1 Garands and the weight just too much these day. **** of a weapon. Wife and I have couple AR15s and bunch of extra clips(reloading clips with old fingers sucks) and I still tote my old M1 carbine also of WW II -- lot smaller and lighter but power leaves much to be desired. We could have some fun. We need to find a crazy or rich dude with a .50 cal Garrett to open holes for us.

On a nice wide sidewalk somewhere. I use a mobility scooter for any sort of distance. What sucks is I have half dozen old M-1 Garands and the weight just too much these day. **** of a weapon. Wife and I have couple AR15s and bunch of extra clips(reloading clips with old fingers sucks) and I still tote my old M1 carbine also of WW II -- lot smaller and lighter but power leaves much to be desired. We could have some fun. We need to find a crazy or rich dude with a .50 cal Garrett to open holes for us.
Dude... you are a serious arms collector. Other than the AR15 I have an old Ruger 10/22 I bought in 1972 when I was 18 y.o. A couple of years ago I had the steal re-blued and I spent a couple of weeks slowly refurbishing the wood... I'm not a wood expert but it is very nice stuff. Also I do have 6 handguns from .45 to .380 and I have a conceal permit. Do I meet your minimum qualifications?

Advertisement
Back